Notices

Not Alcoholic, but

Old 01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Alcoholic, but

Don't think I'm alcoholic in the way that I see other people's problems involving family, work etc. But I am definitely relying on drink most evenings and that stops today - I hope!!
Any advice??
Old 01-31-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just take it one day at a time and do it for yourself. Other than that, keep coming here to read and post and ask questions. We're here to support your recovery any way we can.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

If alcohol is causing any problems in your life, you're making a good choice to stop drinking.

You may need to make changes in your life to be planning other things when you would have been drinking. For me, one of the things I changed was to go out for a long walk after supper and that helped in so many ways.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scarlet

Depending on how much you drank, my first advice would be see a Dr cos detox can be dangerous for some of us sometimes.

Read around here, and post as much as you like.

Many find SR alone is not going to cut it - if you find you want to go back to drinking, I'd recommend a support group like AA or such like.

Whatever you ultimately decide to do in the way of support, just take it a day at a time.
Commit to not drinking today and see how you go

There's always someone else around here to talk you through it

Welcome!
D
Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for support,

But here are my two big issues: firstly, the thought of not having a drink at the end of the day to look forward to and secondly, never having a drink at the end of the day to look forward to. I realise that sounds ridiculous. Does it pass? I have lots of other things to do, it's just a mind set. It's a very strong one!!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it will pass, and it may be more than just a mindset Scarlet. If it was just a question of making up our minds, dealing with addiction would be much easier. And, you're right, that planning other things to do is a great idea.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank way past the stage where I looked forward to a drink Scarlet.

Obviously you're here because you're worried about your drinking - can you focus on the reasons for that and use that as motivation?

D
Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Hi Scarlet

It sounds like you have a "desire" to stop drinking. Some of us go to AA and in those meetings, that is all that is required.

if you have a desire to stop drinking then keep posting here, use the chat room, read the sticky notes and ask for help, you dont have to do it alone.

Keeping busy def helps!

Hang in there - ive had many days where the end of the day drink would be great but it passes....

Take care
LH
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're smart to stop drinking now, before something really bad happens. Best to stop it before it stops you.

(((hugs))) Hang in there. We're here for you. You are not alone.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Scarlet and welcome.

You can still be alcoholic without losing everything or causing problems with family and friends. The very fact you have such a dependance on alcohol, suggests a real problem.

If you are an everyday drinker, then withdrawal can be a problem and may need medical help.

As to the thoughts about drinking in the future, for many of us we have found working the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, have removed that obsession for us and enable us to live a happy life without alcohol.

All you need is a desire to stop drinking to go to meetings.
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who posted replies, its very helpful to hear your advice. So far so good (this is only day two though!!!) Hoping this evening won't be too bad and focusing on the joy of a clear head tomorrow morning!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Scarlet from a fellow Celt in Wales Hang tough, you're still very early but the longer you stay sober the less you'll think about drink. I used this to quit those horribe cigs with much success
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Scarlet, enjoy your hangover free morning tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scarlet20 View Post
Don't think I'm alcoholic in the way that I see other people's problems involving family, work etc. But I am definitely relying on drink most evenings and that stops today - I hope!!
Any advice??
Welcome!!!

I used to compare my drinking to that of other people, for years, and I convinced myself that I didn't have a problem because I didn't drink as much as they did. Fairly common.

Not sure what to tell you, I am an alcoholic, and when possible I attend these gatherings of fellow alcoholics that have been relieved of the compulsion to drink. My advice would be to find some of these folks, have a seat and listen to their stories.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome Scarlet.

I went a little further than you also... ie, wasn't looking forward to that drink, I needed it. But I didn't have problems at work or with my family. I'd love to have seen it creeping up on me, ended up miserable though. Day 2 is good, keep 'em coming, one at a time.

Take care,
TB
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

First welcome to SR Scarlet20. I would suggest just what Dee suggested in his first post.

See the doctor, many of us, myself included fool our selfs into thinking we will not have withdrawals, when I saw the doctor and told the WHOLE truth about my drinking he told me there was no way I could SAFELY get sober without being medically detoxed.... he was right.

I needed AA to stay sober and probably still do, I am not a big gambler when it comes to life and death so I continue to go to AA and also help other alcoholics to get and stay sober.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Scarlet.
When I quit I felt the same as you about the one relaxing drink.
After a while those thoughts went away and now I would much rather have a nice relaxing cup of decaf coffee after a hard day.
It was just a matter of breaking the bad habit of drinking for me. Hope it is the same for you.
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ago

Welcome,

A good way to check if you are an alcoholic or not is quit for a year

Also, if that doesn't work, try some "controlled drinking".

Do you always drink the specified amount you set out to drink? Like when you say to yourself, things like "I am not going to drink today" or "I am only going to have one (or two)" are these statements always true?

Alcoholism has little or nothing to do with the amount you drink or the disarray your life is in, alcoholism has to do with the loss of control of your drinking.

Your life can appear shiny from the outside and be unmanageable from the inside.

if, when you try to stop drinking, you can't, or when you drink, you lose control of your drinking, you may want to take a second look, these are the characteristics of an alcoholic that you may want to address.

AA Alcoholics Anonymous 20 Questions AA Twenty Questions of A.A. Rehab, AA, addiction treatment, addiction recovery
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks again for messages and help. It's now the very time I would be having my first drink of the evening. I'm going for a bowl of veg soup to start followed by a shower and early to bed. Well that's the plan - fingers crossed!!