Flashback

Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flashback

I was in a vehicle today with my best friend. As we approached the car in front of us, the speed we were going sent me into a fit. I grabbed for the oh nellie handle and gasped. I flipped my friend out and apologized profusely too. We discussed it and it came to light that there have been many times I was the passenger in DAAF vehicle while he was nodding out, on a bridge nodding out, trying to light a cigarette filter side out...nodding out. I have some kind of vehicle trauma thing going on. I'm fearful of the OTHER drivers; never knowing if one of them are nodding out. Anyone have fears that creep up out of the normal everyday tasks?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Driving in traffic can flip me out anytime, it's crazy out there, and if I were in a car where someone was going too fast, I'd ask them to slow down.

Triggers happen to many of us, and yes, I too worry about how many of the "other" drivers are drunk, stoned or coming down from either. That's not being neurotic, that's a sad truth of life...they are out there.

Defensive driving helps me, leaving lots of space to "react".

Hugs
Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do it too. My counselor calls these knee-jerk flashback type behaviors or instantianeous feelings - post traumantic stress disorder or PTSD. Ironically, my RAH suffers from PTSD. I thought it was (almost) funny that after living for the past few years in pyschological bondage that I would end up with PTSD - caused by HIM.

He's been out of the house for 7 months now and I'm still triggered. I hope it goes away. I am also convinced that anybody on the road after dark is drunk, high, uninsured or in a rage so my 22 year old daughter catches alot of my paranoia when she wants to go anywhere.

After several accidents which were not my fault and several accidents that RAH was in that absolutely were his fault and during the times that he is honest and sharing about his love/hate relationship with drugs and alcohol (Oh, and working in the legal system!), I am not very trusting of anyone other than myself.