Notices

Peace Of Mind

Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Peace Of Mind

As I read these posts from all of the new people here, I really see myself in so many of them.

Just a little over seven months ago I was lost, scared, feeling hopeless and helpless. Feeling like my life would end if I couldn't at least have "a few beers" to escape all the pressures of my life.

Turns out most of that stuff was in my head and the alcohol only made it worse. It was a vicious cycle that I could not see, until I decided to stop self-medicating and really look at myself through sober eyes.

For the first time in my adult life (I'm 44 now), I can look at myself in the mirror and actually like the person staring back at me. I'm really starting to feel comfortable in my own skin.

I haven't experienced such peace and serenity since I was a child.

For all of you that are struggling, keep trying! It only gets better.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And it does get better.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for the encouraging words and congrats on your seven months of sobriety!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

FomerBeerLover, congrats on your sober time, and great that you are feeling this way now.

Turns out most of that stuff was in my head and the alcohol only made it worse. It was a vicious cycle that I could not see, until I decided to stop self-medicating and really look at myself through sober eyes.
Wow, I can totally relate to this and I can say the same things about myself. And while it's true that dealing with these issues requires some work and time, it is like you said: it really gets better all the time. Now at 7.5 months, the place I am in mentally is extremely different from the despair and turmoil I was in before I got sober.
Edit: actually, it got better from the beginning, but what I meant to say is that the process of improvement is ongoing
Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for that today, FBL!!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Former! Your post is so encouraging and affirming of recovery - that means a lot to me and I know everyone here. Glad to hear how well things are going for you!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. This was a lovely post.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Absolutely.

You have just gotta have faith during the difficult times where your resolve for sobriety starts to take a nosedive. Those are the times when you have got to dig-deep and stick with it by not picking that first drink up. When you come out the other side and serenity and peace of mind ensues it gives you far more than taking that drink ever could have done. Thats what I have found in my personal experience anyway.

Thanks for the post.