Notices

Day 9 - Cravings Can Be A Real Bitch

Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 - Cravings Can Be A Real Bitch

Sorry for the blunt title, but you all know it's the truth.

I had a great noon meeting yesterday and then got hit by the craving locomotive around 5ish yesterday evening (my normal trigger time). The good news is that I rode the wave and didn't relapse; but man, the alcoholic brain can really throw some screwed up thinking my way when I least expect it!

I made it to my 7:30 meeting last night and that really, really helped. I know that if I can just make it to that meeting, I'll be fine. I had a huge sense of peace on the drive home knowing that it was now around 9 p.m. and I was just going to go home, read, and go to bed - which I did.

Here's a lesson learned for me about yesterday. When the cravings started to hit, I had the opportunity to get out and go for a jog. I didn't do it for the great reason that I was feeling lazy. I can NOT make that mistake again. When I see the way out of a craving - TAKE IT at all costs!

That's my thought for this morning. Hope everyone is doing great and here's to another wonderful day of sobriety!

RacerX
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on 9 days sober......I'm still with you.
Gotta say for me I'm exhausted.....not being bothered by cravings as such although I get a bored feeling when I'm tired and can't be bothered to do anything.....I used to have a bottle or 2 of wine then I'd feel alert again. On the up side, I'm sleeping really well, and when I woke up this morning I thought how great is this...a good nights sleep with no aids!!
You are doing so well and are being so positive.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stayinfree,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts - you definitely have the gift of encouragement!! I'm with you on the sleep thing - I slept like a rock last night and the mornings have never felt so good.

My mornings vs evenings are somewhat on par with Dr. Jekyll vs. Mr. Hyde. Let's just say it's a good think my wife isn't packing heat or I might not have been around to post this morning! LOL!!

God Bless,

RacerX
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you were victorious ....

I agree....action and distraction is often the key.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

One day at a time.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a lot of evenings in which I had to fight off the demons in my first month of sobriety. I turn to wood working when I start getting "hinky". Do you have a hobby that you enjoy doing? It can help get your mind back into a good place. I will tell you that I have had less of these episodes as time went on, thank God. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just take that tunnel one day at a time. Sounds cliche, yes, but it is simple, and it works. Best wishes~GeeQ
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
....action and distraction is often the key.
Totally agree. Whether it's jogging, woodworking, whatever, anything to distract us from the stinking thinking. I found the "meetings" before and after the real meeting to be helpful. Nothing like a group of alcoholics hanging out at the coffee shop to take my mind off the addiction.