Diabetes and the alcoholic

Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diabetes and the alcoholic

It was only a matter of when - that my X's health would begin to deteriorate.
Guess he's developed type II Diabetes.

Alcohol related I am sure.

Years of drinking have caught up with him, and this is only the start. His liver is fatty too, which I think is a symptom of cirosis.

I'm not shedding any big tears. I'm grateful he's not here, and that I have to take care of him!

He was diagnosed with high cholesterol a few years ago, and the doctor gave him a prescription for medicine to counter act it... which he refused to take - because then he couldn't drink.

Now it's all catching up to him.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Very sad. I read somewhere "we are all playing a game..and its, consequences"

I recall one of my lifetime's landlords... was a very rich Jew... but developed ostheoporosis .. (sp?). In a few months.. it went from seeing her walking all right... then having to go to her room to talk to her...

She told me she have had a very comfortable life, driven everywhere, and that I needed to walk and be active... I used to complain when Ihad to walk somewhere.. now I just shut up and go...

Amazing what denial does... I hope this moves something and triggers him to a healthier life.

:ghug3
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not too knowledgeable about diabetes, I guess I should read up on it. Nobody in his family has had it that I know. I do know that many folks who develop this also incur amputations of the feet, and have liver problems, and heart disease problems.

He was always so "invincible" about his health. Never took it seriously. I bet my words are ringing in his ears about now... or they SHOULD BE!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My AH was diagnosed with Type I diabetes last year. Type II is usuallly due to overeating/weight problems.
The main thing is alcohol contains sugar (carbs) which really messes with diabetics. In addition, when they stop drinking, it jacks up their sugars for a long time afterward.
Of course, there is a slew of increased risk for a ton of things...
Really, if he has Type II, he has lifestyle issues (food and exercise) that are his main problems.
<sigh> what can you do?
w
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

The main thing is alcohol contains sugar (carbs) which really messes with diabetics
er... in fact, alcohol 'converts' to different sugars after being consumed... as does the coloring they put in it. FOr example - ALL liquor is clear. It's colored to look brown, or even gold... but it's ALL clear when distilled.

The danger is in the conversion -
what it turns INTO after being consumed.

A bad pancreas - one that already cannot process the sugars being thrown at it - wil break down even faster if the person drinks certain colored liquors.

The syrups used for coloring, actually converts to the WORST sugar.
As does the brown syrup coloring of almost all soft drinks.
The syrup is actually worse for a diabetic than the drink itself.

Also - for more info you can read the excerpts of 'under the influence' over in the alcoholism forum - but the book itself would be very informative reading = especially for one with an alcoholic/diabetic in the house.

There was a tv show years ago on the Discovery channel about liquor -
and it talked about diabetes.
Maybe you can find the program in their archive?
It was called Everything about liquor or soemthing like that.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My late XAH had it also, would slurp his way thru 4 or 5 litres (about a gallon) of Moselle a day, wasn't bothered to eat meals, often forget his twice daily blood sugar tests and to hell with the insulin injection.

He consequently spent a few times flaked out on the floor for our daughter to find and deal with, til she had him admitted to a nursing home. The last time he fell, broke his hip and was almost in a coma, so he was in no condition to debate with her.

His disregard for all but that cursed wine cask used to get us all white hot with anger and sheer frustration, and didn't bother him at all. I gave up and left him to God. I had enough on my plate without killing myself over him, and we were divorced so I sure had no input he would care to hear.

I put it down as the selfishness of addiction, carried to the extreme.

God bless