Notices

What should I expect with rehab?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What should I expect with rehab?

Hi All. Newbie here. I am going to a treatment facility tomorrow. Has anyone else gone this route? What was it like? Will I have opportunities to read, call my family, listen to music? How were your experiences?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you already detoxed? Rehab for what drug?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol rehab. I am going to inpatient detox. I have not detoxed yet.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you going for detox, rehab or both? You do understand the difference between detox and rehab right?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisykisses View Post
Will I have opportunities to read, call my family, listen to music?
I can answer based on my experience: The Big Book, once a week, and absolutely not.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well it is a rehab center. My main objective of my stay there is detox. I know that rehab will continue through attending meetings. So, yes, there will be meetings and therapy sessions as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Medical detox is a hospital like setting, look for it to be 5 - 7 days. In rehab, this should be a minimum of 28 days.

Question: How is it that you don't know the rules of a facility that you are already going to?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you have inpatient rehab, expect to be very busy. Keep your mind and ears open. When I went, there was hardly any "down time" between classes, therapy and meetings. I learned a lot that has served me well.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

My rehab was a private place, very relaxed. We had group therapy, aroma/relaxation sessions, swimming pools, meetings and one to one counselling. In free time we had books, music, videos (days before dvd lol). To be honest it felt more like a country club
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Daisykisses welcome to SR, please come back here after you get out of rehab.

I can only speak to detox and not rehab.

I walked into detox, had a physical and blood drawn, then I saw the nurse on duty at the time after she had spoken to the doctor, she took my blood pressure, had me hold out my hand (To check for the shakes), then she gave me a hand full of pills, I took them and then asked what they were, she told me they were vitamins, blood pressure meds, some things to help with anxiety, and some other things.

Every 2-4 hours the nurse would once again take my blood pressure, have me hold out my hand (To check for the shakes), then she would give me another hand full of pills.

We had a ton of classes on alcoholism & drug addiction, we also had nutrition classes to ensure we ate right after we got out of detox.

We had mini recovery workshops daily as well as group counseling & individual counseling. Every evening we went to an AA meeting. Every day at least once we were told "If you want a chance at long term sobriety go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor." (I did this after detox and am happily sober today 3 1/2 years later.)

Detox for me was a life saving experience, but it was not a cure, a rehab is not a cure, there is no cure for alcoholism! WHat has kept me and millions of others sober after detox/rehab is working a long term recovery program.

God speed as you progress into sobriety. While in rehab I encourage you to be willing, & keep an open mind to everything.

Remind your self that it was your thinking and your way that got you to where you are at now, listen to those folks who have found a way to stay sober and do as they have done.

I will openly admit that my best thinking got me into detox, when I admitted my way did not work and started doing what other alcoholics who were sober did to stay sober, I was able to stay sober as well.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Detox is just to get the alcohol out of your system safely. Rehab is to teach you the skills of recovery, how not to drink when you get home.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well, Daisy!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Every rehab is different - different rules, etc.

I was able to bring books, my ipod, stuff like that. And I did plenty of leisure reading (in addition to lots of AA reading - big book 12x12, etc.).

The days where I went were very structured - from wake until dinner (evenings were free). Phones were available with everyone sharing a phone so during times the phones were available we had to be concious of our time on the phone so others could use it too.

My last rehab stay was for 5 months so we got weekly trips to wally world and whatnot too.