Notices

I don't drink

Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't drink

Man i love saying that:-) Had quite a few opportunities to say it whilst staying in a Hotel for the last 2 weeks. Tonight i went to the bar to get a couple of cans of diet cokes to take back to the room and one of the young waiters comes up and says you need some rum with that, i said i don't drink...he replied really you dont drink what ever, i said nope never, wow thats really good and starts telling me about this party they had, 5 young lads going out and only 2 of them drank...wtf?!...anyway then points out this other young lad he works with and says he can drink though...the other guy smiled!

Love it, i remember in all my attempts to stop i would mutter some crap about taking a night off or driving or anti-biotics or getting fit or diet...cringeworthy stuff...you know what, i am certain i knew deep down all those times that i used to squirm with embarassment and feel uncomfortable at the questions i hadn't had my last drink...and thats why i simply couldn't just say i don't drink!

Forgot to add i did the same in a job interview 2 weeks ago, the guy starts telling me about the drinking laws in UAE and i let him finish and said well thats ok for me then because i don't drink...he just gruffed well that wont affect you then...sweet:-)
Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I have not had that opportunity yet, but I am looking forward to it. Just the relief of knowing that I don't drink any more is amazing.

Well done.

So did you get the job?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Still waiting for the result, should know this week...it's been a great experience being here i have been able to grow with regard to patience, tolerance, acceptance...oh and a bit of humility too...pretty much a full house...oh and consideration, and a little compassion...you get the drift hehe
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sure is a great feeling - very cool. I've been asked to elaborate a few times, but I don't feel the need to justify myself. On the flip side, some people have said "oh, I didn't know you were a drinker in the first place!" *) The wonders of being an ex closeted drinker.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Date 12/21/09

I've been able to say it recently. Most importantly to someone I dated many years ago who thought I was quite a mess back then. It was great telling him I don't drink anymore. He didn't press me for reasons, but rather just said, "Yeah, I don't really drink anymore either." Sweet how things can come full circle.

Sober and loving it! And I owe it all to this group, as it has been my only source of support and so far (knock on wood) has done the job.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Still waiting for the result, should know this week...it's been a great experience being here i have been able to grow with regard to patience, tolerance, acceptance...oh and a bit of humility too...pretty much a full house...oh and consideration, and a little compassion...you get the drift hehe
I get the drift!.......so you win whatever the outcome.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Date 12/21/09

Like I pointed out in another post, some people equate antibiotics that you can't drink on to mean you're being treated for an STD. LOL I'd avoid that excuse.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well if you are in AA and just got there feel free to use the anti-biotics one if it keeps you away from relationships for a year or two...hmmmon second thoughts 'i dont drink' and 'im not ready for a relationship with anyone at the moment' would be better hehe
Old 01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

yeahgr8,

Congrats and I agree, it does feel great to say "I don't drink" and mean it. But most of all say it and mean it to myself because it's true. I don't drink, not a drop for the past 475 days...

Also, IMO it's better to make excuses for why I don't drink than to make excuses for why I do, or should, or might...but usually I prefer to be honest with people about it. Doing so has directly affected the lives of 3 other people who were struggling with alcohol. Today, they are sober.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some friends from work and I went out last night to a coffee shop that also serves wine. Usually in those situations I would be ordering glass after glass of wine, but instead I stuck with the coffee. Instead of questioning me they were actually quite impressed. It was a good feeling! Congrats yeahgr8 for being able to say that and mean it! I didn't actually say that last night, but I wish I could have
Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Awesome yeahgr8 - i know exactly what you mean - i have said it many times now and it does feel great. I think it also helps Step 1 if you are an AA person that is, well it has for me.

I have also been questioned and it honestly depends on how I feel on the day, sometimes I just say, because I dont want to anymore and other times I might say, because it was a problem and I want to fix the problem - sometimes the people who wanted to know more get very quiet after that which makes me laugh actually....

Today is a good day - we are sober!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Acceptance... The key to saying "I don't drink". It is for me anyway.

Thanks for posting
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

I love saying that to some people have a shocked look and seem puzzled and i am with lionheart depending who it is and what reason i feel like giving...lol kind of mean oh well its not like they will remember it in the morning anyway...LMAO
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Great freedom in saying......I don't drink!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

wish i could say.... i dont smoke
Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Awesome thread! Sometimes I think we're so busy working sobriety....we forget to celebrate it!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Awesome thread! Sometimes I think we're so busy working sobriety....we forget to celebrate it!
oh i celebrate it!!! every morning i dont gag on my coffee or almost throw up trying to take that first drag off a cigarette ......ohhhhh i hated that.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LKKPA

Great thread and is amazing to find this tonight as I did just that!! Had an old high school friend that looked me up and ended up coming over. He brought over some beer and said he wanted to share a cold one with me. I said "I don't drink". He proceeded to have his beer and I had my diet Coke. No questions, nothing. It was easy and I didn't feel the need to give the same old excuses previously mentioned. The antibiotic thing is funny as I just used that not too long ago and said I was taking them for a tooth ache. Wow...how dumb!! One thing that came to mind tonight was this was the first time in my sobriety that I was with a guy that I was attracted to and didn't drink. I got to thinking back and realized that I could not remember when I was with a guy, on a date or having sex without being completely buzzed. Sex...hummm...don't know if I know what that is like sober. Kinda scarey thought...will I be able to learn and most importantly enjoy it with out alcohol?? Thoughts/experiences from others on this matter??
Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by LKKPA View Post
I got to thinking back and realized that I could not remember when I was with a guy, on a date or having sex without being completely buzzed. Sex...hummm...don't know if I know what that is like sober. Kinda scarey thought...will I be able to learn and most importantly enjoy it with out alcohol?? Thoughts/experiences from others on this matter??
Hi Lkkpa,

I can relate to that. I'm thankful today that I am single and that this is God's will for me right now. (i've not always been thankful for that)

I'm mindful of what many people are saying here that you need to be sober for a good while before getting involved in a relationship. I think that is right.

Sex without being drunk?? ........yes that will be a whole new experience. One that I shall look forward to in God's time.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Amen to that!!!! I love being able to say that while doing my new living arrangement search. Telling people that I don't drink or do drugs, hee hee, you get a thumbs up for that.

Even over the holidays while having my "mock cocktails", I had a great time with my friends and the people that didn't know I was "sober" until I told them didn't notice the difference. I was my same old "good time" self but just not going down the incline of getting totally wasted. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!