Notices

Busy

Old 01-13-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mergirl

Busy

I have seen many threads about boredom here on the boards, and I long for a slow day sometimes!! I am up at 5 am to do chores, SR, out the door by 630 for work. I get off at 330, try and hit the gym til 415, race home and grab my meeting partner (the dog), catch a meeting at 530, come home and cook dinner, chores, SR, then crash face down by 9

If I had a free day some things I would LOVE to do

READ!! Omg my pile of books is growing and I have no time.

Get a REAL work out in, complete with a hot tub soak and dip in the pool

finish my blasted mosaic project, and start on the line of "nexts"

work on my garden

bake

thrift store shop

write long letters

catch some more meetings I have never tried

eeeesh. out of time, gotta run!!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's because you are sober and enjoying your life, there is a huuuuuge difference, as we know now in hindsight, between sobriety and not drinking...when i was not drinking i was bored out of my skull, i couldnt wait to go to sleep, even sleeping in the afternoons just to kill time...

Sober life is great and there is not enough time in the day, i would say i wish at least several times a day now for the clock to slow down whereas before i would happily wish away days/weeks/months at a time...i am over in the UAE at the moment staying in a Hotel waiting for a job offer, been to the gym, to the pool, read some, coffees by myself...if i was just not drinking, i would not have got on the plane to get here and certainly, if i had, would not have left the hotel room or done any of the other stuff...that's not living and i have no inclination to go back to that or being that person!

Good to hear you are enjoying yourself...really positive post, thanks:-)
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Gypsy...thats how I feel these days. Took awhile to get here, but my days are cramed full and it doesn't end until around 9 in the evening. I ordered a bunch of books when I first quit and I read two of them that first week, but haven't been able to get to any of the others because I'm so busy now. Its amazing what a sober life has done for me. Its given me a life!!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I do tend to have a lot of time on my hands but I keep busy. Although its a lot of busy work about nothing really...still it keeps the boredom at bay.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gypsy, that's a great post!

I knew I had to become less busy when I began recovery, and I have done that. But, I love the things that I do, and when I was drinking I could not imagine being sober and filling the time.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Sober life is great and there is not enough time in the day, i would say i wish at least several times a day now for the clock to slow down whereas before i would happily wish away days/weeks/months at a time
I was exactly the same. I suppose I got my wish in the end - the hours that I can't remember.

...i am over in the UAE at the moment staying in a Hotel waiting for a job offer, been to the gym, to the pool, read some, coffees by myself
That sounds lovely......it sooo cold here!
All the best with the job offer
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
I am up at 5 am to do chores, SR, out the door by 630 for work. I get off at 330, try and hit the gym til 415, race home and grab my meeting partner (the dog), catch a meeting at 530, come home and cook dinner, chores, SR, then crash face down by 9
Sounds just like my schedule! And I've got a never-ending list of home improvement projects and hobbies to keep me busy, of course parenting keeps me on the run with sporting & school events, etc. I just committed myself to two charity bicycle events, as if I didn't have enough to do. Lol.

Life has never been fuller, richer, or better. What an amazing gift!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Maybe I need to get a J O B.
Nah nothing good could come from that. I prefer the bust work like Zen.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have seen many threads about boredom here on the boards, and I long for a slow day sometimes!! I am up at 5 am to do chores, SR, out the door by 630 for work. I get off at 330, try and hit the gym til 415, race home and grab my meeting partner (the dog), catch a meeting at 530, come home and cook dinner, chores, SR, then crash face down by 9
Wow!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Typo on my post.
it should have been BUSY work and not what got sent. Sorry about the error.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my first 30 days, I didn't do much beyond go to work and meetings. I would stay in the house because I was afraid that I would buy booze if I left the house.

Very recently, I've been taking on new things and it feels great. I was spending way too much time thinking and ruminating on things. I wasn't gaining any real insight and the more I thought about things, the more anxious I got. I'm feeling much more sane as I"ve gotten busier. I'm no ball of fire, but I feel I've come a long way in 6 weeks.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

Haha, fub!! I always feel so dam guilty on the fitness thread, til I remember your a BUM!!! (joke people, no offense intended please).

spryte, work and meetings sound like an excellent start for sobriety. For at least a month after I quit, I mostly sat in a dark corner and cried. . .

I got off work early today to go apartment hunting wheeeeeeeeeeeeee