Son has gotten himself yet another DWI!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son has gotten himself yet another DWI!

My older son is now on his 3rd DWI. (OWI) Unbelievable!
I guess this happened in December. I've had no contact with him for several months (my decision).

The last one he got was in the Spring of 09. He was ordered by the court to attend an alcohol evaluation, and follow up with any recommended treatment. Also, a hefty fine - which he has not paid, and ordered not to consume any alcohol or substances without a doctors order.

His driver's license was also revoked for a year.

He drove anyway. He drank anyway.

He was to appear in court last week. He didn't show. Instead, he's decided to move away to another state. He thinks he can start over somewhere else. Little does he know that any legal job he might apply for will result in this information coming to the surface. It's called the "geographical cure" - if I recall the right term.

He's only 26. Got a hard life ahead of him. He believes it is the system against him... more specifically - the state we live in.

I feel bad, as it's just another sad chapter to his life... not what I, his mom, had envisioned for him at all. Such a waste, as he was a great little kid, so much potential... but the alcohol took over and it's got a iron grip on him.

I wonder what is next... but I am trying not to wonder what is next. Not in my control.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

sorry to hear that your son continues to baffle you.

Just keep hope that one day it will be different and may you find serenity in the face of his addiction in the mean time.

Some do recover.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my alcoholic had 3 dui's also. he also had a tendency to not bother to go to court. i guess perhaps that's part of the disease: avoidance of reality.

it will catch up with them eventually, one way or the other.

i'm sorry you're going thru this but just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

there is some chance that no contact might get easier for you now that he has moved away to another state.

i know it's hard to live waiting for the other shoe to drop but he is a grown man and it's his life. try to get the focus back on you and consider that it might be easier if you don't know what's going on in his life.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, isurvived. Your heartache must be so great. I try to remember that we all have our own path to walk in this life and, for whatever reason, this is his --and God is with him. I hope and pray that you will find serenity. (((Hugs)))