Counseling - what to expect?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counseling - what to expect?

Hi all,

I made an appointment with a counselor for this week... it's not a specialized counselor (it's a free service for students and all I can afford right now). It's my first time EVER going to a counselor. I've been feeling much better the past 10 days (more balanced and like myself again - not so depressed, overwhelmed, stressed out as in the past months)... and now I'm not even sure anymore why I need to go (maybe I'm just trying to chicken out?). What was your experience the first time you met with a counselor?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to a counselor when I was in university and struggling with the workload and anxiety. I came out of the appointment absolutely amazed at all the useful information and techniques he had given me.

More recently I went to couples counseling with my ex ABF and it again helped me immensely. He, on the other hand, thought it was nothing but partner bashing all the time!!

And I am now seeing a pshychologist who has been wonderful and has helped me work through some hard issues.

Good luck.

Spinner
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about others, but I put off my appointment twice because "I didn't need it" LOL and because I was so worried.

It turned out to be really nice. Think of it: Here was someone whose JOB it was to sit there and ask me how they could help me be happier and stronger. Someone who would ask me what I wanted my life to be like, what I loved, what frightened me, where my stressors were........so many questions........and then (the incredible part) they listened to me. Not like a friend would listen, which is nice too of course, but who listened with experience and compassion and skill.

And like spinner says, they have tools and techniques that they can teach you so you can better cope with the bumps and bruises that life inevitably deals us.

I didn't trust them for a long time, but still, it was great to get some things off my chest, great to have someone WORK WITH ME to figure out a better way to think and live. I still go back to my counselor a couple of times a year for a "tune-up" LOL just to have a session that is all about something like: This is where I am now. This is where I'd really like to be instead. How would you get there if you were me?

There are all kinds of counselors, Lotus, so if this one doesn't feel right to you, there are about a zillion others out there, so take it slowly and make sure it works for you.

Good luck!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lotus....my first time in counselling, I was "forced" to go by my parents, after I told them I had been assaulted by my physiotherapist when I was injured/paralyzed. I was a teen and I was full of **** and vinegar, so I was less than cooperative the first time around. It didn`t take long for me to realize that I could be full of whatever I wanted; the counsellor was there to just listen to me. I learned to just start talking about my day and before I knew it, I was discussing how angry I was that I'd been assaulted.

Eventually, as in 8 months later when I had made a lot of progress, I grew tired of her "sit and listen" methodology, and I stopped the sessions. Later on, I sought out counselling again and found a school counsellor who only wanted to talk about my relationship with my mother, even though I was consulting for my previous assualt. It took me 3 tries before finding someone who was more "proactive" in their approach and wasn't so hell bent on talking about my dreams or my parents.

All this to say that it's ok to "shop around" for a counsellor whose style matches yours. If you don't know what can help you best yet, then try it out for a while and then re-evaluate after an initial period.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!

I decided to go - can really only gain from the experience! And if I really don't "need" it then I will find that out then and there
Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

it can take a few sessions to build trust and a repoire (sp ?) with a therapist.

Give it the time to develop. Analysis + awareness + perspective are a good thing
Just like any profession,some therapists are better than others and some can make a big difference.