Schedules?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Schedules?

This is day five of my 20 yo AS detox from oxycontin (cold turkey, at home). As I read stories here on oxy withdrawal his symptoms seem pretty typical. He was able to eat last night which I take as a good sign. Right now the big issue is the sleeplessness, soreness, and some numbness in his arms and legs.

My questions is when is it appropriate to try and get him back on a normal schedule? At first he slept about 10 minutes here and there. The first three nights maybe he slept one hour total. The last two nights he's lucky if he can get into a deep sleep by 5:00 am. He might be able to sleep until 9:30 am.

He's a contract worker so if he does not work this week that's fine. His goal this week is to start NA meetings (tonight) and to get stronger.

At this point is it best to let him get as much sleep as possible? When is it time to start adjusting his body back to a more normal routine so that he can go back to work next week (6:00 am-2:30 pm)? I'm wondering what worked for others.

I'm thankful I have found this website. It's been a huge source of information, inspiration and hope for the last five days.

Renee
Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.....It may help if you get him over to the substance abuse forum, and let him take care of himself.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, welcome to sr. glad you found us but sorry about your son. i agree with needinghelp. maybe its time to focus more on you and how his addiction is effecting you and letting him figure out what is best for him to do. i'm a recovering addict and no matter what my family did to try an help me get sober, they could not help me to stay sober, that decision was totally up to me.

have you tried alanon or naranon f2f support groups for family members? i 'm glad to hear his plan of recovery and i pray that he continues with that plan. both of you are in my prayers.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi rmr and welcome. The responses you got were excellent posts. your son is an adult. His schedule needs to be his responsibility, not yours. If you aren't happy with the schedule he is choosing to keep while living at your house, then it might be time to suggest he make other living arrangements.

In the meantime, I think the suggestion for your recovery from his addiction are excellent - naranon, alanon, or other f2f support groups for family members of addicts. If you are willing to seek help in the form of a support group, maybe it will encourage him to seek help in the form of a support group as well. I think it's kind of like leading by example.