Withdrawl?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Withdrawl?

ABF (sober now for 11 days) came over to my place Saturday morning, he brought breakfast for everyone, and a new game for our Wii which we all played happily until I had to take my 3 kids to thier Dad's place.
I also took my youngest son (his Daddy is my ABF) so he could nap in the car.

It was decided that when I got back into town I pick up ABF and we go out shopping. I let him know I was going to be home soon, and much to my surprise when I was approaching my street, there was ABF waiting for me! I pulled over and he got in.

Right after he got in he started saying he was in pain. Every second that went by the pain got more intense.(he later told me that the pain started when he was there waiting for me, and if it wasn't me pulling up he was going to lay down in the snow, due to how he felt) He told me his chest and shoulders hurt.
He normally has issues with his shoulders when sleeping so I figured it was that, he also can be dramatic at times, so at first I was thinking he was just being overly dramatic. We barely made it down the road when I started to think that this was very bad. He was having trouble catching his breath, and he asked me to move our sons feet because he HAD to recline to seat.
I had to pull there car into a parking lot. After getting there, he was grimacing in pain, gasping for air, clawing at the interior of the car, his lips were turning a whitish colour and I was getting more and more panicked, as he was getting worse and worse. I asked him if he need to go to the ER, he said no, just get home now so he can lay down.
Home was only 2 mins away, so we arrive and he has trouble getting out of the car and up to the door.
I rush around and get my son out of the car, get inside and I can hear ABF in my room, yelling in pain. I rush up and he litterally writhing on the bed, grabbing pillows, sheets, clawing the the wall. I ask him repeatedly what do you need, what can I do, do you want me to call 911, what are you feeling etc.
He said NO 911! NO HOSPITAL! He wasn't really answering my questions about his pain, and I told him he either tells me or paramedics, I was scared to death at this point. Oh, he did tell me his head was hurting too. He kept saying too "What's going on? What's happening to me" I was shaking like a leaf! Besides me being in labor, I've never seen anyone in that much pain before.

He gets out of bed, into the washroom and tries and tries to make himself vomit, and he succeeded.
All these things combined...chest pain, shoulder pain, not being able to breathe, nausea.....it all seemed like a heart attack to me.
I went downstairs while he was in the washroom and dialed 911, it rang once and I hung up, for fear that he'd be furious at me for calling, but I was scared to death!
A minute later my phone rang I let it go. They called back and it was my local police dept. wondering what was going on, I told her and she put me through to the ambulance dept.
I told her what was happening, by the time I actually started having a conversation with her, ABF was feeling better.
Paramedics arrive and besides his blood pressure being too high, they said he was ok at that point.
So, they leave after about 10 minutes of being here checking him.
After all that, ABF still felt crappy.
He told me after the fact that the sore head he had during the episode, felt like brain freeze, and that maybe it WAS more serious than he thought.
While he was laying on my couch I looked up "heart attack symptoms" and withut telling him what it was, I read them off and he said "Yes, that all sounds like what I had, what is it?" I told him they were heart attack symptoms.
He was also here on the 7th (2 days prior to this incident) and when he got here, he started eating and started having trouble breathing and had to go lay down....he told me on Satrday after the incident, that what he felt on the 7th, was the same sort of thing, except this more recent time was 100o times worse.

I'm scared to death for him. I think he's in denial! He says perhaps it's related to not drinking anymore, but I'm convinced it was a heart attack and that in some weird way the forcing himself to vomit saved him.

Does this sound anything like withdrawl symptoms?
I'm completely terrified.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well it seems like what would be best is if he went to a doctor, told the truth about his habits, and figured it out between him and his doc.

But you can't make a person go to the doctor anymore than you can make them do anything!

I hope he is OK and you too!

peace-
b
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you looked up withdrawal symptoms on the internet? Is his drug of choice pretty much just alcohol?

Some of the symptoms sound similar to Heroin/Morphine type withdrawal, but they would have kicked in before 11 days clean.

Def. he needs to follow up with the doctor. Is he normally a "don't go to the doc" type person, or perhaps he was hiding something. I believe they can put him on an EEG or something and see if he did indeed have a heart attack. What about the classic pain in your left arm symptom?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
Well it seems like what would be best is if he went to a doctor, told the truth about his habits, and figured it out between him and his doc.
I agree with you, his mother, sister and I have all told him (not only on this occasion, but numerous other occasions) to get himself to the Dr. and he usually refuses.
He does have an appointment for a physical in a couple weeks, which was made last year for something unrelated.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Have you looked up withdrawal symptoms on the internet? Is his drug of choice pretty much just alcohol?

Some of the symptoms sound similar to Heroin/Morphine type withdrawal, but they would have kicked in before 11 days clean.

Def. he needs to follow up with the doctor. Is he normally a "don't go to the doc" type person, or perhaps he was hiding something. I believe they can put him on an EEG or something and see if he did indeed have a heart attack. What about the classic pain in your left arm symptom?
Just alcohol. He normally never goes to the Dr. He'll usually only make an appointment if something scary occurs, but when it's over with he goes into denial mode and soemtimes cancels the appointment.
He happens to have a physical booked for the end of the month.
As for the left arm thing, he did not say anything about it, but all symptoms I've looked up just list chest pain, and that he did have. I think the left arm thing is common, but I don't think it's the tell tale sign.
It's so frustrating!!! And scary!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I beg you to call for an ambulance IMMEDIATELY if this ever happens again.
He may not want you to, but he has NO right to have you scared out of your wits at what is happening to him. You have been put in a nasty position and if he did die, could be charged for NOT getting him help.

He is NOT being fair to you, so be fair to yourself and get professional help.

God bless