Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

My Cousin/Employee is up to something.. Oxys, Reefer, Something...HELP!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok, so my cousin has been employed with us, back in the warehouse, for a few months now. He has had a history with drugs, spent time in the Phoenix House out on LI, where he was beat up, and given a great lesson on how to do of cocaine.

We sell medical supplies, no meds though, mind you. But, we do have syringes, which kind of keeps me on edge...

My concerns:
I have found generic perc's on him before.. And, basically asked him what he was up to, and told him that I knew he was up to something, because he looked like a walking zombie all the time.
He drinks water like it is some sort of necessity, like how I used to see bottles in the hands of all those kids on extacy in high school/college...
More often than not, when I go back there, he is in the bathroom. He spends a decent amount of time in there, and I have no idea what he is up to. But, I do know that he probably spends most of his day back there. There is nothing in the garbage, I did smell something chemical-like, almost like alcohol or something...
He carries about 6 lighters, and matches on him. I just saw he had all of them laid out on the table, covered up by a paper towel. Some of them have no 'head' on them, like what you do when you want to make the flame go really high...

I just found another generic perc on him, that apparently he is basically nibbling at.

Days in the bathroom, tons of lighters, what is that?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Sounds to me like he smokeing his drugs or Hes shooting them up .. easy acess to needles and you would have to crush and delute them with heat to ready it for the needle. Ive never been a needle person , so this is just from what ive gained in reading posts and hearing other peoples experiences .. either way .. this dont sound like a good thing , having the perc's is just the first bad thing .. all the others make it sound ever worse .. ~ endzy~
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Put aside for a moment that he is a relative.

As an employer, is it acceptable to you to pay a wage to someone who spends most of his time in the bathroom, has the tools of addiction present on the job and nibbles on percs, while on the job?

Syringes have a street value even in places where it is legal to acquire or exchange them. Is your inventory control adequate to detect employee theft?

Employers determine what is and is not acceptable employee behavior. Many employers now require initial and ongoing drug testing by a qualified provider. When confronted with unacceptable behavior, employers take action and usually terminate the offending employee, when the offence includes drugs, especially drugs consumed while on the job.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome to sr. sorry you have to be here but so glad you are. i hav to agree that it sounds like he's either smoking something and because you mentioned needles, like he may be shooting something. he may need lighters to do either.

my doc was smoking crack and i remember all the headless lighters i kept around. sorry to say but for a drug user, sounds like he has a good safe place to do whatever drugs he might want to do.

i say follow your gut feelings and protect yourself and your busniess. if he's caught, you and your business could very well go down with him. i know its family but is it worth it? your choice though.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First off.. Thanks..

Thank you all for the excellent information and input... Sorry, I have been busy as hell, and I gave him a reprimanding the other day. I told him that I am basically no longer taking his word for it, and no matter what he says, we're going to drug test him, and to not take it personally.
He assured me he was done with it, which is a lie, because I would not have found it out there. There are quite a few of those lighters that are headless, and they have absolutely NO gas left in them.
I don't think he has the balls to go IV, so I am really not that concerned with that concept, but I am certainly not going to rule it out. I think we're going to test him today, a few days after telling him, because if he's stupid enough to use now, he's obviously got a severe problem that needs dealing with.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

I just want to 3rd, 4th, 5th, or whatever (agree with), those folks who's question was (paraphrased here), "What would you do if this person was not a relative?"

....and one li'll concern of mine. You wrote, "...I don't think he has the balls to go IV, so I am really not that concerned with that concept..." ---- I just want to reitertate what someone earlier stated------syringes have a street value; 'this person may not have the balls to go IV,' but he could still be stealing and selling them; they'd make a great source of 'extra income' (illegal, of course, but tax-free) for him.....

You're doing ok there bubba. There are lots of folks here who will give you tons of support. You just keep on keepin' on...... (o:

NoelleR