Notices

Sober in Denver

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober in Denver

Howdy. Just stopped drinking a few days ago but I really want it to stick. I'm in the middle of my second divorce and the holidays were pretty tough. I'm getting back into weight lifting, I'm taking vitamins and I have a couple friends that are very supportive. I'm trying to eat well and get lots of sleep. I'm desperately looking for sober things to do in Denver before I'm dead. Seems like this is a tough time of year to quit with the holidays and all and I'm already dreading Valentines Day. Admittedly, I'm a bit of an emotional trainwreck right now but...I'm just rollin' with the punches and keeping a stiff upper lip. I see a lot of hanging out at coffee houses in my future. I hate going to gyms. I LOVE books so I can usually be found haunting used book stores and thrift stores on my days off. Once summer is here I plan on getting up in the mountains as much as possible. Although I'm not quite single again yet, I am starting to put the feelers out a bit. I'm a serial monogamist so I really hope I can find a girl friend soon. The divorce will be finalized in a week or so.

Anyway...again, howdy. Here's hoping I fit in.

~K
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

My suggestion is to volunteer.

Take a look around your community and find something that suits you and get involved. Get outside of yourself and do something for other people. It can make a huge change in your life. It did for me.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm in Denver too.. there's a few of us on these boards that live in the area. Not sure if you're an AA type of guy, but I know there's a few really big well established downtown area meetings. I don't attend myself, but I know when I was first sober a few people recommended them. McGowdog (are you reading this Mc?), knows a lot about AA in Denver, so you might hit him up for meeting reviews

Otherwise, welcome! Hope you're staying warm.. it's 0 degrees out there right now. I just wanted to say hello, and wish you the best. PM me anytime if you want to talk to a 'local' who's sober!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

AA meetings?

p. 152
"Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead."
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi DW welcome to SR this is a great place for support. Congrats on not letting your emotional situation drive you to drink as you know it will only make things worse. I have a sister in Denver and visit often and that is the most outdoor friendly city I've ever been too, I'm always amazed at the # of bike riders I see everywhere and I can't imagine that they are drinking and riding? It also seems to be a very healthy city everyone I know there works out most all the time. Feb. 14 is just the day after Feb. 13 just ignore it. Stay strong and post often.