Relationship question.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Relationship question.

Thinking about wishes for the New Year and romance came to mind.

At this point, I think I would freak out if I suspected someone I was interested in was an addict.

I wonder if the opposite should be true?

Is it possible for two codependents to survive in a relationship??

My mother and I are both codependent and we love each other's company but can't survive long without making the other crazy!

I'm living in the fear that there is no one without either problem available out there.

What do you all think?

Alice
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think there are probably a lot of people who are neither (code or addict). I'd shoot for one of those! I know a few of them...they do exist.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are people who are neither. I am trying to be well enough to hook up with someone who is healthy.

However, I would choose codie over alkie if that was the question.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read somewhere, there's probably very few relationships that have no drama, no attention-getting games whatsoever, in them.

But there is a whole world of non alcoholic/codependents out there... if you didn't grow up with either, that particular dance is the exception, not the rule. I think. Having been married to an alcoholic now I recognize codependent-addict patterns when I see them, but to me they're still the minority.

There's degrees of this stuff: my former recent bf has no addictions, and only the mildest tendency towards codie-ness. He likes to date, and help out, intelligent, somewhat troubled women-- but he backs off sharply if their troubled-ness starts to interfere with his life. He never makes their problems his primary focus.

I hate to admit this... but I found him difficult to connect with, and part of it was his lack of needs. Helping and caring and saving and rescuing are certainly bonding experiences, even if the bonds established are ones we later regret.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess two codependents in a relationship are about as healthy or as unhealthy as two addicts in a relationship. They could be an understanding ally when it comes to staying on track in recovery or they could be a total trigger to each other.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think we each must choose the path that is most healing, and the path that gets us where we want to go in life.

For me, that meant spending as little "romantic" time as possible with codependents AND addicts. Neither of them were adding to my learning, and the "having an understanding sounding board" wasn't growing me as a person, I discovered.

I ended up marrying a man who is neither (and yes, there are plenty). He is understanding, but has little patience with my old routine of "I have a right to do XYZ (insert damaging behavior here) because I'm codependent."

It has forced me to get stronger, braver, and more......normal.......in a way that having a codependent soulmate never could have.

Just my experience though Alice, ymmv

Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I have a cat, he's very needy.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think they exist, but I've also found that have picked alcoholics and codies not too far out of my relationship with xabf. The new guy does not seem to be either, but I still wait for the other shoe to drop even after almost 6 months.

As for my codie behaviors toward him, because I still have them, he does not allow me to behave like a co-dependent. I remember early on saying stuff like "If this or that doesn't work for you, we can change plans." He finally sat me down and said that if something didn't work for him, he would definitely tell me. I've learned to just take what he says at face value. It's hard though, still. I question a lot, but try to keep it to myself.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG Still - you crack me UP!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
I have a cat, he's very needy.
Yes, I am getting all of my caregiver needs met through my children, 3 dogs and 2 cats.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies!! Lots of insight.

Cynical One - I had not thought of my health toward my relationships being reflected in the people that I attract. That is an enlighting concept!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just one more thing to point out - there is nothing wrong with being codependent! Relationships demand that of us - AA gave it a bad name when using it to describe our relationships to A's. But there is a difference between being codependent in a positive relationship and a negative one.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I asked a friend about his take on healthy relationships. He said sometimes he or his SO will snap at the other or say something cranky. They either rephrase or apologize then or later. It is not regular and neither avoid taking responsibility. That was a revelation to me.
It's possible!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you ever read Harville Hendricks' Getting the Love You Want and/or Keeping the Love You Find? Very interesting and enlightening and a really excellent take on why we're attracted to the people to whom we're attracted and how that can work to our advantage.

Also, a very interesting -- but somewhat more complicated and darker -- approach by Valerie Harms, entitled The Inner Lover. I guess I would paraphrase the message as being: if one's going to get crazily attracted to and act out with "the wrong sort of person," here's what one might be able to get from it. She's amazingly honest and open about her pretty messed-up affairs.

freya

...and, BTW, for me, healthy relationships seem to require interdependence....codependence is another matter entirely.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kassie2 View Post
Just one more thing to point out - there is nothing wrong with being codependent! Relationships demand that of us - AA gave it a bad name when using it to describe our relationships to A's. But there is a difference between being codependent in a positive relationship and a negative one.
Sorry, but I have to totally disagree with this. Codependency is self-destructive behavior, regardless of who you are in a relationship with. We all have personality traits. For example, kindness, altruism, practicality, or whatever. This does not automatically make us codependent. Traits of personality are neither good nor bad, they just are. It's how we use them that makes them a positive factor in our life or a negative one. Altruism, for example, gone to the extreme, is self destructive. It can be the same with any trait we may possess.

Relationships work best when they are balanced, interdependent, as Freya said. When one or both is codependent, then the relationship will eventually suffer.

The very best relationship advice I have ever gotten came from this forum. Someone (I forget who now) said to make a list of all the qualities you want in a partner. Write it down. Once you have your list, make it your goal. That's right, become the person you want in a partner. This is a win-win situation because not only do you become the kind of person you want to spend time with, you will attract that kind of person, as well. I can tell you from experience--it works.

Yes, the healthier you become, the healthier the people who are attracted to you. Is that so surprising?

L