I'm an idiot once again

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an idiot once again

Doh. Double doh. I've let myself fall into another "kindness trap".

I had paid off all the bills owed to the cable/internet/phone company accumulated from my time with XAH. I was to disconnect the service from his apartment on December 31 2009, a full two months after I left, because he had asked me to leave it on for his son's sake (who, I must admit, uses the internet a lot for school work). Late December, XAH asks me to leave it on for another month until he can save up the 200$ deposit it'll cost him to open up a new account (sux to have bad credit, don't it?).

Stupid me, I decide to go ahead and do it. I tell him it'll cost 132.50 for the month and he says Ok, No Problem. I'll email you a money transfer. The bill comes. I ask him for the cash (this is after his big argument with me on Sunday).

He texts to say "Since I've been screwed by the government for the support payments I receive for K (stepson) because of something YOU did with A (daughter)'s forms, you'd better shut it off so K and I can still eat."

Bring in the violins, he's a martyr. FTR, I haven't done anything regarding the government yet, because I have to wait 90 days for our separation to take effect.

I tried to be "nice", thinking of my stepson's end of semester exams and projects this week, thinking he'd need the internet (I can't dissociate the three services--cable, internet and phone because I was under contract), and this is what I got. Now I have to pay the bill AND feel like an idiot.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, it's always someone elses fault, isn't it?

Don't feel like a fool. You tried to do something nice for his son and he turned it around to make it a bad thing. You have nothing to feel foolish about.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with suki!

You did what you did for the child out of love. His twisting it into something you are somehow taking away is alcoholic rubbish.

I suspect he will either come up with the money or he'll find some other way to keep the services on his own and that will be he next hardship tale (that he has to dish out the money now out of your heartlessness).

Honey, in his mind it will always be someone else's doing. Whether it's you, the government, the Easter bunny, makes no difference.

If the subject comes up from him that the child can't do his homework or is struggling without the internet, which he may do to garner sympathy and get more from you...remind him that schools and public libraries offer internet access free of charge. I went years without internet access because of my XABF, and I made regular use of their services for job hunting. I would do all my resume and letter writing at home on my computer and save things to disk then grab them quickly off the disk on the library's or school's computers to save time.

I'm sure the boy has friends with internet access that he can use for school as well.

Alice
Old 01-06-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Most libraries have free Internet. If dad gave a shat he could make it happen without using/blaming you. Just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Noday,

Shame on you for wanting to believe the best in people

So...
He texts to say "Since I've been screwed by the government for the support payments I receive for K (stepson) because of something YOU did with A (daughter)'s forms, you'd better shut it off so K and I can still eat."
Sounds like you'd better, then. You tried, it didn't "take," more whining ensued, oh well.

Stop calling yourself names. You're doing your best. :ghug3
Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

All right. I've read this thread title
I'm on idiot once again
long enough and request you take that back.

Please don't say that about my friend. She's NOT an idiot.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Yeah, and Give Love said it too, so you know it's true!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do as He asked: cut off the internet and if he quacks remind him that HE said to do so. Tell him the places his son can get access for free and LEAVE IT TO MR BIGSHOT TO SORT OUT.

Remember he is not only a quacker, he is also quackers, and to remind you I add this pic.

God bless

Last edited by Jadmack25; 01-07-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: image update
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does anyone else get really tired of having to watch your every step, lest you make a tiny error that they can then jump all over and milk for all it's worth to attack you?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

jadmack - i totally get that this pic makes lots of folks happy and I am more than willing to skip over it, but from an animal rights/vegetarian point of view, I find the plucked duck very disturbing and sad. It is a funny tool, but ducks are actual beings. I equate it to a skinned human in a funny pose. More disturbing than funny.
Again, I am not asking for you to stop posting it, just wanted to put another perspective out there.

Hugs
Wife
Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Minor update

So, I paid the bill and cancelled the service as of today. I imagine that he'll be calling me in a rage tonight because he can't watch tv or stream some tv show, but he *did* tell me to shut it off so 2he and his son could eat" (do I hear violins playing?).

And since the bill is for the current month and I shut down the service at the beginning of the month, I'll get the money back from the company in a few months.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yay for you!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You could always just not answer your phone tonight. He can get glad in the same pants he got mad in.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Seeking Serenity

Good for you!!

I totally agree with Suki...don't answer the phone. If you are like me and have no will power...turn it off!! That helps me big time.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Save those texts! I actually prefer when AH sends me a text...I then forward it to my e-mail account. You can then prove to him you did exactly as he asked as well as provide documentation for future legal visits AND remind yourself why you left in the first place (as if you needed reminding).

Don't be so hard on yourself otherwise. You're not an idiot, you're a good person. Kind hearted people always find room for forgiveness and unfortunately get screwed sometimes.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're doing great NDB2D!

Ives - it's what we call here; "walking on egg shells". Problem is, you can walk all day/week/month/year/decade on egg shells, and they're still going to find a way to blame us, beat us up, twist what we say, feel sorry for themselves, etc. It sucks, but it's the way it is. And yes, we get/got tired of it. That's why so many of us have gotten out, even though we tried hard not to. I'm so sorry you have to walk the egg shell walk, Ives!

Tigg
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
He can get glad in the same pants he got mad in.
Thanks for the laugh, Suki. (GL writes that one down.....)