prayer

Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

prayer

A friend that I know in recovery shared a prayer with me that her sponsor gave to her. I thought that it contained a lot of wisdom and felt great comfort when I read it. I hope that it will help some of you as well. Let go and let God.

God, please guide my actions in my marriage. If it is your will for me to remain in this relationship, please give me the power to carry it out. Please help me to see my husband through your eyes. Help me to recognize that he is one of your sick children, and help me to relate to him as you would have me relate to him. Use me to minister to him however you see fit. Guide my words, my thoughts, and my actions in all my interactions with him, and open my heart to love him without enabling him, to detach from his weaknesses and embrace his strength, and to take care of him without losing myself in the process.

If I have learned all the lessons I am meant to learn in this relationship and it is your will for me to move on, please give me the power to carry out that move with grace, dignity, and love. Please convict my heart, and reveal to me the spiritual, financial, and emotional resources I will need to leave my marriage. Please get my will out of the way, and help me to follow the path that you have chosen for me. Help me to recognize that my husband has the right to live this way and that I do not have the right to control his choices about how he lives. Help me to put my energies into making myself happy and moving on.

Amen.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's a lovely prayer, lightseeker. Thank you for sharing it.

Hugs
Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really appreciate that! It is important to try and recognize the difference between our will and God's will and it is difficult to get out of the way and let things happen as they are destined to be.

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes, one of my co-workers can be very difficult. She is not an A. I prayed this prayer, on my way to work the other day. I can't tell you how much of a difference I feel it made.

Thank you for posting. It is a wonderful prayer that can work in many instances.