2010 New Years Resolutions

Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

2010 New Years Resolutions

I thought it would be fun to start a thread of our New Year's Resolutions. I've learned that putting my goals down on paper means I'm more likely to work at achieving those goals.

My BF asked me about my goals for 2010. The first thing that came to mind is that I had made the same goal for 2008 and again in 2009. Guess what? I have achieved that goal and no longer need to set it as a goal again in 2010. It took time and diligence, but I was able to make a good and positive change in my life.
That former goal was this: If I am upset or agitated, reacting from an emotional place, I will not dial the phone or hit "send" without talking to a recovery friend first. I cannot begin to tell you how much my life has improved as a result of doing this. I don't have to make nearly as many amends for my bad behavior, and I've been able to keep my side of the street cleaner. I learned better ways to establish and maintain boundaries, and I have distanced myself more from toxic people and toxic relationships.

So, for 2010, I resolve to have an attitude of gratitude every day. I resolve to start my days by thanking my HP for the blessings I have in my life.... and I will find at least 5 positive things in my life and situation every day.

Trust me, it will be easier some days than others. I might have to touch base with a recovery friend if I'm struggling to find those blessings... it seems my HP wraps some of my gifts in some very strange packaging.

It's a new year, time for new beginnings. What do you resolve for 2010?
Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My resolution is to go forward with every single lesson learned in 2009, build on them. There have been a lot of lessons so this will be a busy year.

I learned I have to accept people as they are, not the way I want them to be. I don't have to be around them if doing so causes me discomfort. I learned I'm fully capable of loving from a distance and it's helped relationships recover or stabilize.

I learned I've always had boundaries, I was just too weak to enforce or defend them. I have learned the difference between assertiveness and aggression. The former makes me stronger long term and the latter makes me weaker. I have learned I'm stronger than I thought, and that extra strength comes from knowing my weaknesses.

I have learned to be still in the moment and when to share, when to reach out.

I have learned my own personality and accept me gladly
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My resolution is to pay attention to me. Do things for me that are healthy and what I want to do with my life. Stop letting other people's "junk" become mine and clutter the path.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great thread Cats. I just got back from Florida and got to take time and connect with nature again, finding beauty in wild areas and played with my photography a little.

I made a resolution while I was there to take that connection to a new level and plan some special nature outings to take in as soon as spring breaks and connect my photography hobby with some writing I have done.

I really like your resolution to "not react from an emotional place" and, if you don't mind, I think I will borrow that and add to my list.

And one other special resolution I have made is that I will not waste life. I will find some time each day to embrace the fact that I am alive and give thanks, and I will see good days and bad as "adventures" and make the best of each one of them.

For the first time in many years, I feel very refreshed going into this new year and I am so grateful for all those who walk with me as I face my new adventures with excitement.

Hugs