Happy

Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Well here we are, another year almost finished and another one soon to begin. Wow, we've been together for a lot of years now, haven't we?

Through these past years we've been through lots of sad times, but also fun times too. Guess that's what life is all about huh?

For the past 45 years I can remember saying "this next year has got to be better!" Little did I know that it was up to me to make it better, as it wasn't going to "get better" by itself!"

Now that I've learned there is nothing I can do to make anyone "better" or "fix" things for anyone, and have concentrated on me and not stressing about the "what if's," I've been alot happier.

It sure has taken me a long, long, time, alot of praying and alot of crying, but one day it all fell into place. Oh, don't get me wrong, I still fall back at times but I don't stay in that scary place for long! You know why? Because I have finally come to the conclusion that there is nothing I can do or say that will change the course of my son's life. Nope, it is entirely up to him.

He has been out of prison now for a year and two months. He seems to be doing ok, but I know he has slipped more than once. Currently he is back on track, but I do not believe he has the will to move too far forward. Nope, I think he has flat given up. He is satisfied to live with doing a few odd jobs, not work his trade (although I realize work is still scarce) he seems to have accepted defeat!

So, what can I do to change this? The answer is not one darn thing. I can, however, change me and my way of thinking. We all have to learn in our own time and way, so who knows maybe one day he'll learn too! I would like to think it would be in my life time, but don't have much hope about that.

He has learned one thing though and that is he never asks me for anything anymore. By that I mean, he doesn't ask for money or help in anyway. That's a good thing. You see, they do learn when you stop doing for them and show them that you are really done running and jumping for them.

In the meanwhile, Mr. Dev and I have a good life together. We have lots of fun and lots of laughs. After all, isn't that what life is all about?

So, for this New Year's Eve we will go to a gala NY's event and will dance and sing and be thankful for finally getting to this "new place." This "new place" that I could never have reached had it not been for all of you!

Special hugs and kisses for Ann, who never stopped repeating these words...."I promise you things will get better!" I love you Ann.

Hope you all have a great New Year! It will be a good year if you let it! Remember what Ann said, "I PROMISE YOU IT WILL GET BETTER!"

Hugs, Devastated
Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for this Dev and for the reminder that today, tomorrow, and next year can be what we make it when we keep the focus on what we can control....and that is ourselves! I slip too sometimes but I'm better at finding my way back. I too hope your son learns but in the meantime, it is wonderful to hear how you are taking care of yourself!

I wish you and yours all the best!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Inspiring. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thank you for this reminder also... to focus what I can control... ME!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too, Dev!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Thats it. We can only control ourselves and it took me sometime to understand that. Thanks to all of you. Have a wonderful New Year and keep looking forward. Thanks for the update Dev. Always fun to see you here. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm so glad that it did indeed get so very much better for you, Dev, and am sending a big Canadian size bear hug to wish you a Happy Happy New Year.

You just dance your feet off with Mr. Dev and when midnight comes, try not to set the place on fire with your hot kisses.

Love you tons and tons, and I wish every single person here a wonderful New Year filled with new hope, growth and peace...and also new dancing shoes so you too can kick up your heels when it gets better.

Mr. Ann and I are planning a midnight dance in the sand on a moonlit beach here in Florida....who knew the day would come where we actually would leave the phone that never rang at home and head south for some fun in the sun.

Happy New Year dear friend, and all my dear friends here.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Dev))) - thanks for the reminder that taking care of US is what's really important.

Big hugs to you and ((Mr. Dev)) and have a GREAT time New Year's eve!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy