Notices

Recovery

Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

Hi all,

(try # two to post this. )

Hope this is the appropriate forum. I came across a website just before Christmas that was about "Cognitive Recovery". It seems to encompass techniques from AA, RR, CBT, and so on. There is a book that goes with it and I bought it/read it. I'm pretty enthused with this at the moment. I've used the AVRT technique of RR for a long time but Cognitive Recovery seems to explain a lot more clearly. The guy who wrote the book seems to have designed CR as a secular recovery program but doesn't have any problem with people using their personal religion if they are religious. Pretty open ended all around. I like the focus on CBT and mindfulness especially. I've used a lot of his techniques all along in one form or another but I like the way it all fits together in his book.

Seems like a pretty new program. I'm enthused but also wondering why I haven't come across it before. But, the forums ARE empty so I'm guessing the book got published recently. Oh, it is copyrighted this year so yeah, recent. The guy who wrote it is obviously "one of us". Might be worth a look see! Cognitive Recovery - Addiction / Alcoholism Recovery

J.

ps:
Yay! A single word for title did the trick.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

CR is intended as both an alternative to 12-Step programs and as a supplemental program for 12-Step and other recovery programs. There are many paths to sobriety and from long experience with AA we know that a large percentage of 12-Steppers look outside the program for methods and techniques to enhance their own sobriety and personal growth. CR will certainly allow you to achieve and keep sobriety by just following it's own program but one of the strengths of the CR program is that it can be used in conjunction with just about any other mix of recovery techniques.
Sounds like that would be something I could check out in the future to supplement AA, the BB encourages AA folk to continue to seek out recovery literature and other things to help us strengthen our programs. I know a lot of folks in AA that use additional things to bolster thier recovery.

I bolded what I quoted from that site.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The Wolves Within

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?” The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
In my short 3 years in AA I have heard this many times, I have found that to be so true in recovery, the wolf you feed is the one that wins................. That is not to say that if one feeds the bad wolf that one can not stop feeding the bad one and start feeding the good wolf.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, it is all who you feed...or to take a Star Wars approach..the Dark Side or the Force!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

CBT/REBT is my style of addiction treatment. However not too many practice it in my town so I augment my addiction program with AA meetings for sober fellowship. It works if I fine-tune it.