Having a difficult evening

Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a difficult evening

Detaching has been going well so far, but today I've been at my wits end and having a hard time detaching with love.

I feel like a single parent a lot of the time. I've been taking care of the 3 kids on my own all evening while he is in his room drinking and I find it so unfair. I ate dinner with the kids without him, cleaned up, and I put the kids to bed on my own, over an hour late. I asked him for help and he'd say "just a minute" and then completely forget.

Yeah, I'm pretty angry. The kids were lunatics this evening and I was the only one dealing with them.

I'm trying to accept that it's a disease, but what am I supposed to do when he's drinking, say to myself, oh, he's sick, poor guy. Yeah I do feel sorry for him and all of his anxieties and guilt, but on the other hand, where does that leave me?

Needed to vent :/
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

What a life. This is why the women in the US made alcohol illegal in the early 1900's. They saw how badly their husbands behaved.

At least we can leave them now without so much social stigma.

I'm sorry, I hope you get some relief. Why don't you hire a babysitter and take tomorrow night off? Go to the hot tubs!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SBH, sending big hugs to you.

That's why a lot of us end up moving on with our lives without them. Sometimes, there is such a thing as "worse than nothing," and an active alcoholic spouse is sometimes just that. My parents stayed together, and through watching them I learned how to be a good ACOA (adult child of alcoholics)...and all of the pain and suffering that caused me once I grew up. It would've been better for me to have one sane, sober parent.

Take care of yourself
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SadButHopeful - I can SO related to these evenings...actually until very recently this was exactly what I went through night after night. Even when he wasn't drinking, he was in the room, watching TV while I did everything. I tried the whole idea of detaching etc....but I have to be honest, when I got married that life was not what I signed up for. I expect that my husband pick up his share of the duties/burdens....his disease/problem should not cause my life to be an absolute h***. I didn't deserve how he treated me or deserve the inner turmoil that I felt everyday. We are now seperated and while I am having a difficult time, and still doing all the work...>>I don'have him just sitting doing nothing anymore which makes it easier! I hope you are able to continue to feel some peace in your relationship.....
Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I lived that life for many years. My fears of being "without him" were so irrational. What did I think I would lose by leaving him? As it turned out, I now have one less "child" to take care of. He wasn't a partner, he was a burden. It was so much harder being married to him than it is being a single parent. Being a mom is a joy now without all that resentment and anger dragging me down.

L
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Unfortunately, the cons far outweigh the pros when it comes to living with an alcoholic.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hate to say it, but I agree with all comments made.

I'm in the process of divorcing my 2nd AH, and it sucks! Was married to the 1st A for 17 years. Don't believe in divorce, am a born again Christian, and think (thought?) that marriage should last for life, and that the vows were sacred. For better for worse, in sickness and in health, 'til death... and so on. I BELIEVED that! In many ways, I still do.

But SBH, had I stayed with either AH, I would literally have died, or at the very least gone completely insane. There are women I meet in Al-Anon who have stoically stayed with their AH's for YEARS. They seem happy enough, having found health and healing in The Program. I have no idea how they do it. I could not have, in either case.

So although the comments you have gotten so far seem to be the norm, it seems to be possible to survive being married to an AH. I don't know what you'll choose to do, but either way, I wish you success and joy.

Hugs!
Tigg
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
What a life. This is why the women in the US made alcohol illegal in the early 1900's. They saw how badly their husbands behaved.

At least we can leave them now without so much social stigma.

I'm sorry, I hope you get some relief. Why don't you hire a babysitter and take tomorrow night off? Go to the hot tubs!
Are you serious about the prohibition thing???

My mom is on vacation this week and she's going to help me out, thank God!

Originally Posted by mentallyexh View Post
....Even when he wasn't drinking, he was in the room, watching TV while I did everything. I tried the whole idea of detaching etc....but I have to be honest, when I got married that life was not what I signed up for. I expect that my husband pick up his share of the duties/burdens....his disease/problem should not cause my life to be an absolute h***. I didn't deserve how he treated me or deserve the inner turmoil that I felt everyday. .......
Same here. Even when he's not drinking, I'm doing most of the work.

I've been thinking along these lines lately. Yesterday was our 8th anniversary, and it didn't bring me much joy. When I got married, I thought, WE thought, he would be the provider and I would be a SAHM. Well I ended up being a SAHM for most of the time, but we've always had some assistance from my FIL because my husband couldn't seem to make enough money, or didn't work at all. Every time, I just thought it would pass and believed everything he said.

So now, "we" have started a business, only I've done 80% of the work in starting it, I'm the brains behind it all, and STILL the one doing most of the work. WTH??? I have 2 kids and a baby to take care of!!!!

I think that most of it lies in this disease, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that he just plain doesn't like to work, and in your words, this is not what I signed up for.

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
.....As it turned out, I now have one less "child" to take care of....
L
It totally does feels like I have another child, only this one isn't so cute.

Tigger - I'm also a Christian and am trying to follow the Lord on this. It's so hard. I have also always believed in staying together. I'm trying to find acceptance and hope in all of this. I don't know what will become of us, but I want things to work out. He is a loving father, not abusive at all.

THANK YOU ALL for your support!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SBH - glad you vented. I've had similar nights - we all have, I'm sure. As they say, "do the next right thing" - I find that when I do the next right thing the tough situation of the day gets easier. when I don't do the next right thing (which seems like a good idea sometimes but never is!) I ony create more trouble for myself. Hang in there.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SBH, I'm so sorry you're going through all this, and with *3* kids to boot! I thought I had my hands full with a baby and a teenager!

I've been through those evenings with XAH; while he drank and played video games and yelled/screamed about how I wasn't doing x,y,z right, I cleaned up after him, his son, and my daughter and tried to keep the peace. I did all the parenting, homework supervision, etc, feeling resentful all the while, thinking "this is NOT what a marriage should be like", and eventually having maybe 15 minutes to myself after my baby went to sleep, after which XAH would staunter over and grope me, in the hopes that I would do my "wifely duty" and give him a b*** j**. Ugh (where's the smiley for puking?).

When my fantasies of being a single mother overtook my brain on a daily basis, when I finally realized that this wasn't what I wanted my entire life to be, I started to figure out how to leave.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just add me to the pack. My life is so much better now without him sitting in the middle of our house, beer in hand, watching TV, griping about me, ignoring one child while turning the other into his best TV-watching buddy, all while I did all the work for everybody. And we had a baby, too.

It's hard now - on my own. But I am so safe and tired at the end of every day - and it's the tired of a day used to the fullest. I am exhausted because I work hard -- not because I am wrung out emotionally.

Good luck to you. It is a hard life.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just spoke with him

I told him that I'm working on accepting that he has a disease but what I don't accept is that he chooses not to recover.

I vented to him about how sick I am of him not doing enough. I told him that I have no problem taking care of the kids and the house during the day if he would only work.

I'm bipolar, and whenever I am angry with him he accuses me of having an episode. I pre-empted him and said that if he thought this conversation is because of my disorder, then he can F-Off.

I said a few other things, and he had NOTHING to say.

Right now he is actually doing some work. This is what usually happens after I complain, and it only lasts a day or two.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadButHopeful View Post
Right now he is actually doing some work. This is what usually happens after I complain, and it only lasts a day or two.
oh hun, I'm sorry. How long do you want to keep going through this cycle with him?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
oh hun, I'm sorry. How long do you want to keep going through this cycle with him?
I don't want to but I don't want to leave either. I'm stuck.

How the heck do you detach "with love"????
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can I ask (hopefully without offending) why you don't want to stay, and why you don't want to leave? Perhaps if you write it out, it'll help you get a feel for where you are emotionally.

Detaching with love...I figured out how to do it when I had some time away from XAH. Then some of the anger and resentment subsided, and I was able to honestly say that I didn't wish XAH ill, in fact I wished him happiness and recovery, but that I just couldn't be there to hold his hand through it. Unfortunately, that state of mind still isn't there all the time, and it only happened for me after I left XAH. While I was with him, I was only able to "detach" and keep to myself, but sadly, there was no love left. I just didn't have it in me anymore.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How the heck do you detach "with love"????
You accept him just as he is, right now. You let go of any expectation that he will change and become what you want him to be.

As far as I know, that's the only way.

Also, I don't really think any of us who left wanted to.

L
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just a thought.....I know you don't want to leave....but ask yourself do you really want to stay in this? People kept telling me over and over why are you staying....and it was the security of it, the scariness of being alone. I have 4 sons age 14,12,10,9 and a 13 month old daughter and a baby due in May...and I am scared. I know that I can do this though....I have a decent job, and a house, and a car, and everything I need. Sure it will be tight, but I know it is better for me emotionally, and better for my kids. I would NEVER forgive myself it they reenacted in the future what he is doing in the present, or if my daughter allowed someone to treat her the way I have been treated. I am not telling you what you should do...just stating that you can do whatever it is you set your mind to do...if you want to stay, you should....if you don't you shouldn't. Think about yourself, and what you need to have a meaningful fulfilling life....let that guide you! Believe me I know exactly where you are coming from......and I wish you peace.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My now deceased BF began drinking daily by 10:10 am and went to work blasted. Straight rum out of the bottle. One day I said, ya know what? I deserve an asset, not a liability which is what you've become. Once I started to take very small baby steps to rebuild my life, he began to notice the changes in me and the dynamics of the household. He still drank and used his DOC (plural)...but in the end it didn't matter. Whether I focused on the discontented life I was living or focused on my own happiness, the end result would've been the same. Just a matter of delay.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
You accept him just as he is, right now. You let go of any expectation that he will change and become what you want him to be.

As far as I know, that's the only way.

Also, I don't really think any of us who left wanted to.

L
I was accepting it for a while, but last night I lost it. I'm sick of doing all the work. I don't want to be married to a child. I don't know if I can do this.

Originally Posted by mentallyexh View Post
Just a thought.....I know you don't want to leave....but ask yourself do you really want to stay in this? People kept telling me over and over why are you staying....and it was the security of it, the scariness of being alone. I have 4 sons age 14,12,10,9 and a 13 month old daughter and a baby due in May...and I am scared. I know that I can do this though....I have a decent job, and a house, and a car, and everything I need. Sure it will be tight, but I know it is better for me emotionally, and better for my kids. I would NEVER forgive myself it they reenacted in the future what he is doing in the present, or if my daughter allowed someone to treat her the way I have been treated. I am not telling you what you should do...just stating that you can do whatever it is you set your mind to do...if you want to stay, you should....if you don't you shouldn't. Think about yourself, and what you need to have a meaningful fulfilling life....let that guide you! Believe me I know exactly where you are coming from......and I wish you peace.
Wow...I'm seriously in awe of you!

I sometimes feel that God is making it impossible for me to leave because He doesn't want me to. I don't know, well, I guess I do know that I'm not looking to Him enough in this. I'm getting tangled in my emotions.

I want to stay for a couple of reasons...I have never believed in divorce, and I don't want my kids to go through a divorce. If I can stay and make this a peaceful environment for them, then I want to do that. He is a loving, fun father, and they adore him. They miss him when he goes out (which is rare that he goes out at all).

If I did leave....I would have nothing. He refuses to leave the house. I have no money, he's gotten into debt, with my name. I don't know how I'd survive.

I suppose it's the kids, they are the main reason I'm still here. I'll sacrifice anything for their happiness. If it got to a point that he was making life difficult for them, then I would leave. Everything I do is for them. If I left, they would still have an alcoholic father. Then what if he gets visitation? I could never trust him. I couldn't even trust him when I was in the hospital after having my last baby, my mom had to take care of them.

One of the problems is, I am miserable because of him, and that's not fair to them. I don't want them to have a miserable mom. I'm always depressed because of this. I'm so resentful of him just sitting around getting drunk (and high) while I work so hard.

Lastly, although I grit my teeth saying it at this moment, I love him.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One of the problems is, I am miserable because of him, and that's not fair to them. I don't want them to have a miserable mom. I'm always depressed because of this. I'm so resentful of him just sitting around getting drunk (and high) while I work so hard.
IMHO, that is not one of the problems, that is THE problem. I am ACOA. My father was an alcoholic (and a compulsive gambler). His problems had very little effect on me. My mother's codependency, however, affected me profoundly.

If you are determined to stay, then please consider getting some help for yourself. Therapy, Alanon, or whatever will help you to not pass on the traits to your children that my mother passed on to me. If you really put the happiness of your children above all else, then help them by helping yourself.

L