Notices

My Introduction. New to this Forum.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
and I'm an Addict

Post My Introduction. New to this Forum.

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason and I'm an addict.

I've been active in NA since June 2009. My clean date is actually June 16, 2009. I must say that thanks to my program, a lot of willingness, honesty, and an open mind, I have truly found "a new way to live." One of the first things I found about myself when I first walked into NA is that I'm not unique. This was one of the main reasons I was hesitant to reach out for help during my active addiction. I believed that I was alone in my addiction. I felt that my family and friends would ditch me as soon as they found out my problems. Well, everyone found out my problems whether I liked it or not and guess what, my family and my "true" friends still love me. Anyway, after I got caught in my addiction and got out of the detox center I enrolled in an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at work. This is what I like to call "baby meetings." Even though the EAP program doesnt follow the guidelines of the common 12 step anonymous groups, it did give me a forum where I could share with people who were suffering just like I was. It made a world of difference being able to openly talk about my feelings in regards to my addiction. Then a friend in the EAP program invited my to a local NA meeting. I agreed to go since I was invited. I don't think I would have walked in the room without that personal invitation. (insert discussion about keeping what we have by giving it away here...)

After my first NA meeting I picked up my white key tag. Why wouldn't I want to try this way of life? I had found a room full of people who had experience, or was currently experiencing the same stuff I was dealing with. Of course, some people's stories were worse than mine, and some weren't as bad as mine, but I came to realized that that part didnt really matter. What mattered was that all of us wanted to get better, and none of us were there to pass judgement.

I wish I could say that the past six months have been a piece of cake, but it hasnt. I have managed to keep from using, but there have been a few days or weeks where I have found myself just as miserable with my life as I was before. What always helps pull me out of my misery is getting my butt to a meeting and talking about it. I havent been to a single meeting where I left feeling worse than when I got there.

Now that I have got a sponsor and started working the steps, I believe that I have really found that new way to live. I kind of wish that I had been in a recovery program even before any of my drug use started. My opinion is that everyone should get in a program just because of the principles of life the programs teach. NA has made such a difference in my world. I am so grateful to the program and its members (newcomers and old timers), and to my Higher Power. Without all this in my life, I don't want to imagine where I'd be now.

My goal is to find a way to share my experiences to as many people that will listen to me. I believe that everything we go through in life has a purpose. I think my purpose right now is to spread the word. The word of hope through recovery.

Thanks for providing a forum for anyone and everyone to be able to learn from the experience, strength, and hope of other addicts just like me. I know that someone's life is being changed through this forum. I look forward to getting to share what I have learned so far, and what I will continue to learn, to all of you.

Peace,

Jason
Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jason
Congrats on your sober time,

D
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi jason im a new as well but hey howdy
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Yeah

"My opinion is that everyone should get in a program just because of the principles of life the programs teach."
HaHa. I hear ya brother. They didn't teach this stuff in Kindergarden did they?

"I think my purpose right now is to spread the word. "
Right on partner. Aint it neat having a selfless purpose? And don't ever let your feelings get hurt if people don't get sober. That's not our job. We just carry the message. We don't have the power to enforce it. We can only show them how we did it.

Man it's so neat to read your intro and see where you're at. If you just simply keep focused on "How can I help the next sufferer?", it will continually save you from this sickness of self.

I can't wait to hear about your experience through the steps.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jason,

I'm glad you found us!

I had to find a new way to live too, and I've found so much inspiration and information here at SR.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey jason, welcome!

I used to feel the same way - "I feel sorry for people who don't have a program, everyone could use it"

But then it occured to me... some people just "get it" by default. They seem to be spiritually fit from the get go - that ol' "wearing life as a loose garment" type thing.

So now its changed - "thank god I have a program... I really need it!"

Best of luck!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Jason! Glad you are here. We do recover.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post Jason. I can relate to so much of what you say.

Keep on Keepin on dude!

Peace and love xxx
Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
and I'm an Addict

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It kind of reminds me of my first meeting experience. Except we cant give real hugs here. lol.

I'll definitely keep coming back.

It's a cool thing that no matter where we are (even at work like me right now) we can always find a place for recovery.

There's so much to read and learn here at SR.

Thanks again for makin the new guy feel welcome.