One Thing After Another

Old 09-19-2003, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Thing After Another

After my AH's 4 day binge while I was visiting my daughter (3 while I was gone and 1 after I got home) things have calmed down. I have been regaining my equilibrium somewhat because you can't stay as upset as I was and live!!!!

Today in the mail he received a notice that a lien has been filed on the house by the Friend of the Court because he has such a huge arrearage. This house isn't even in his name!!!!!! He amassed this arrearage before I met him. I didn't even know he had a minor daughter until we had been married a year but since then the payments have been made on a regular basis.

We just put the house on the market and when it sold I was going to decide whether I was going to stay or go. Now, I can't even sell this place until the lien situation is resolved. Friend of the Court told me that I need to retain an attorney to try and keep my own property. Can you believe that? His name is not on the deed because I bought this house 4 years before I met him and have been smart enough not to put him on it.

I am so angry. One more thing caused by his irresponsibility that I am forced to deal with. Who knows how long it will take to resolve this mess. You would think that whoever they hired to check real estate records would have at least looked at the deed. My name on the deed isn't even my current last name!!! That should have given someone a clue.

I guess I am badly in need of some serenity to get me through until this is resolved. These past few months things had been going so well which once again let me believe that maybe this time he would make it but . . . . . I guess in order to stay with an A you have to give up that hope and I don' know if I am capable of that. I just might be better off living by myself.

Maybe I am just too upset right now to even be thinking straight. Any words of wisdom for me? I could sure use some.

Thanks, Jo
Old 09-19-2003, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sdp

No words of wisdom, but will sympathy do?? That is a LOUSY situation.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think they can attach something that is not his.Have you talked to one?
Old 09-19-2003, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

An attorney said the same thing but the lien is there and has to be removed. It will keep us from selling the house until that has been taken care of and since we are dealing with a government agency, who knows how long that will take.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Jojo

This too shall pass. Just keep doing the best you can, make sure you're covered legally, and just keep moving forward.

Obstacles are just obstacles. They annoy us but can't stop us.

Sending hugs

Ann
Old 09-19-2003, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ann -

Moving forward, one foot in front of the other. But man, my feets are getting tired!!!!!!! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Jo
Old 09-19-2003, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Property laws vary from state to state.I was a similiar situation with my house.I bought the house on my own and my husband never had a thing to do with it.His name was not on anything.We were actually divorced for a few years when I decided to refinance.I had to get an attorney to do a quit claim deed from myself as a married person to myself as a single person.And that was in spite of having divorce papers stating that he had no claim on any property of mine!

phoenix
Old 09-19-2003, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

JoJo

Hang in there. At least you CAN get it removed. Thats something positive.

You sound like youre getting all your ducks in a row.