O/T, sort of - Help with Taxes

Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T, sort of - Help with Taxes

I am trying to find out how much I can anticipate in federal income tax refund so I can make some finanaical decisons that will make me a lot less dependent on the graces of my alcoholic ex (he watches the kids while I work overnights, but at the moment is only paying me $200 in child support while earning $400/week in pay PLUS getting unemployment).

Long story short - I have gone to 5 different tax refund estimators on the Internet and gotten 5 different totals ranging from $0 to over $4000! I really would like to know ahead of time if possible so can anyone tell me what would be an accurate place to find an estimator? I am not asking for financial advice on how to file or any other thing that might get someone here in trouble, but only an idea of where to look.

If I am violating posting policies by asking, kindly remove.

DirtMagnet
Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You can buy a program at Best Buy or most anywhere called Turbo Tax.

All you have to do is fill in the numbers and it will compute your taxes.

I use it to do my prelimb taxes.

Dolly
Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did turbotax with my taxes last year & got a refund - took your advice and went online b/c I didn't realize you don't have to pay a fee until you file. I took the ytd amount on my last check and input everything and it looks good. When I get my W-2 I will fill it in for real. I am just a worrywart - like so many codies - a really stupid part of me thinks that I don't deserve a refund for some reason. I don't "count my chickens" as they say, but I am set to have a battle with ex regarding child support arrangements and it helps to know that when his hissy fit ends with "Fine, I won't watch the kids anymore!" I can say "OK, I'll call the babysitter, then" and be able to afford it.

What gets me is no matter how much money he makes, it is never enough. Right now, I am living on around 1400 a month - 815 of which is rent, and supporting all of the clothes, living expenses, transportation etc for myself and 2 school age children. He makes right now around 2400 and can't even support himself - just one person! It makes me sick that I have to scrimp sometimes just to buy clothes, necessities, etc while I have to hear him bitch about how he got a wee scratch on his stupid guitar and has to get it into the repair shop NOW. Oh, and he got his license and plates suspended for DUI (once) and driving with suspended plates (twice) and I am supposed to be at his beck and call if he needs a ride without getting busted. Last time he asked, I just said "NO!". If it something that benefits the kids - needs a ride to the grocery store, pharmacy then OK. Other than that - go bother someone else already.

In our marriage, only he was allowed to own the power to make financial and other life decisions, and he has assumed (wrongly) that that has somehow continued into divorced life. If he makes a decision that screws me financially and helps him, why he is just being savvy. If I do the same, I am just a moneygrubbing b***h who only cares about herself.

Yes I am ranting but I have to see him tonight to drop off the kids and this rant may be the only thing keeping me dropping an anvil on his head!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This has nothing to do with taxes, but DirtMagnet, your statement about how your A makes 2400 a month and can't even support himself....
that ALWAYS boggles my mind!

My XA made, according to him, cleared 2400 a month after taxes PLUS $600 a month he gets monthly from the VA for disability and his place looked like a 19 year olds dorm room. Old used furniture, and just unkempt. He's almost 34.

There were times I made less than he did, living alone and still put money into savings when I could. When he told me what he made but he was broke I asked him why he's not able to save money.....that extra $600 a month could easily be put into savings and you'd still have plenty left over every month.

His answer: "Because I like to buy.....stuff."

Really? Because you have no decent furniture. Ummmmm yeah.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Vent away---it's good for the soul!

He'll never change, he doesn't want to and you'll never be able to change him.

Keep your focus, left, right, left right.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Money stuff always gets me full of anxiety. I grew up in a very poor home financially but lots of people do. The things is my dad would take what little we had and spend it on whatever and didn't care if his wife and 2 little girls had clothes, food or anything else. As long as he could go into town and charge whatever he wanted at his friend's gas station he just didn't give a damn. My mom was always very sick and because she had cancer found it impossible to get health insurance anywhere. Although a lot of it was in her head, some of it was real and it all had to paid for out of pocket. And I had kidney problems growing up and required monthly medications - which I was reminded of constantly by my mother - like I wanted it that way.

Consequently, I just get sick to my stomach when it comes to dealing with money matters. Even if I have enough to pay the bills, I get anxiety attacks when I sit down to pay them. My clothes are practically falling off of my body because I absolutely loathe shopping of any kind (unless it is clothes/toys for my kids and usually at second hand stores - I like the Salvation Army 'cause the money they make there goes to drug/alcohol rehab programs so I feel like I am doing good twice - recycling and helping those who need help).

I chronically underearn as well - I am a college graduate working o/n for a major retailer. I think "continuing feelings of somehow deserving deprivation" might be the big label here. I hate it though because I don't want to pass it on to my kids. I want their attitudes towards money to be more appropriate.

Oh, and of course the ex probably won't be putting any money or effort towards Christmas gifts either - just like every year since we were divorced. I am a little short right now due to gift buying, but it was out of pocket money and I won't have any debilitating credit card bills to face in January so I guess that is one advantage to being frugal/anal/conflicted with regards to finances!