Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Lost and confused. Please someone who has experienced this, I really need you opinion

Lost and confused. Please someone who has experienced this, I really need you opinion

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Lost and confused. Please someone who has experienced this, I really need you opinion

I'm going to apologize now for this being so long, (I'll try to keep it as short as possible without losing any of the major details). It's going to sound like a relationship problem at first but then you'll see..

Ok to start off, I am 20 years old and my now ex-boyfriend just turned 22 and we are both in college. I met him when I was 15 at the beginning of my freshman year of high school, so we dated for about 5 years. In the beginning of the relationship he was the sweetest guy ever. The things he did for me and said to me, everything. My family loved him. That went on for a while, but eventually wore off a little. But that's expected since it was a new relationship, and his first girlfriend really, so I wasn't a big deal. He still wasn't a bad guy at all. He tended to keep his emotions inside, but there have been times where he has opened up to me. Even cried to me a few times. On the surface he likes to look strong, but I know deep down inside he is an emotional person. So our relationship went on for about 3 years. He would get in moods on average about every 8 months where he felt depressed and lost and just didn't know what he was doing with his life, and that caused him to break up with me several times throughout the years, but he always came back and we were fine until it happened again. And I loved him and supported him and was always there. Well a little over 2 years ago, he got in a pretty severe depressed state. And I told him that he doesn't need to be suffering like this and there's things people can do for him. So I said he should talk to his mom so he can go see a doctor and maybe get some help (what kind of help he needed, I don't really know), but I knew it wasn't right for him to be suffering. So he did. He went to see a counselor, who then pushed him off to a psychologist. I know they talked to him a lot, I'm not sure what we really said at the appointment. But he ended up leaving with a prescription for adderall. He does not have ADHD. Never throughout high school did he ever have problems focusing. I think he might have told his doctor he can't focus in college now, but I guarantee that's because he just wants to party and play video games with his roommates and just couldn't be responsible enough to focus on school work. Then when the doctor suggested adderall, I know he knows what that does and that it's pretty much a street drug, so he wasn't going to disagree with it. For the first about, 6 months, it was great. He was in the best mood ever, was focusing on everything, he was fantastic. And I remember his mom even asked me if I see a change and I said yeah he seems so happy now. Well that quickly went away after those 6 months. I know he still focuses in school, but everything else has come crashing down. Some of its hard to describe, but for a good year, he just wasn't the same. He wasn't doing things he enjoyed anymore and all he ever did was work. He would buy expensive toys pretty much (like a street bike) that he couldn't afford. And he was in so much debt he was stressed out and had to work all the time. And now these past 6 months have been horrible. Over the summer, he did nothing (or so I thought) except sleep and work. I barely saw him and if I did it was for a few hours, late at night, after he got home from work. He ended up apologizing to me at the end of the summer that we never got to do anything because he had to work so much. Then once the semester started, he told me that he has a lot going on in his life and he needs space. And I gave him that for a while. But I could tell he was suffering. Something was eating away at him inside. And I tried to ask him what was wrong but he wouldn't give an answer. And unfortunately I just kept pushing to try and help him and ended up making him extremely mad at me and pushed him away. I told him I just did it because I cared about him, but he doesn't want to hear it. Well during all of that, I ended up talking to his mom about it. And the first thing she said to me was what is wrong with him? and he needs to get off that adderall. I learned that he was treating his mom badly by just not really caring about her or what he said to her and that he stopped seeing and talking to his family. I ended up talking to her a few times over a couple months, trying to figure out what was wrong. First we thought it was the adderall, then maybe something else, and we were just always back and forth. Now the interesting part to this is that his dad was an alcoholic (and his parents got divorced because of it when he was 5) and he is also bipolar. His mom told me that when she was dealing with his dad, in counseling they told her that 1 of her 3 kids (he has 2 older siblings) will become addicted to something because it is hereditary. And the other 2 are fine. She tried talking to his doctor, but he's 22 and he didn't put anyone down as a like reference for him, so he couldn't do much unfortunately. He said he could listen, but he couldn't tell her anything and he couldn't change anything. Me and his mom both have tried telling him he needs to get off the adderall (I told him this not long after he started taking it and I could see a change for the worse). But he won't have anything to do with it. He just gets mad and says its not the problem. Well now, after we broke up he told me hes just trying to be happy in life. 2 weeks after we broke up he found a new girlfriend. And he's acting like he's in a fantastic mood (which I know it sounds horrible, but I just see it as a fake because I know how he is). It's like an overly good mood, and its just not real. I know this because we work together at a restaurant (bad decision but that's a whole other story). Well during our breakup, we started fighting like cats and dogs (through text message no less, because he found every excuse in the book to not talk to me in person, or even just on the phone). He can't even look me in the eye. He goes out of his way to avoid any eye contact with me and if he does he looks away real fast. But we never fought ever in our relationship. It got to the point that he blocked my phone number, email, facebook, everything. He sent me an email sort of explaining how I didn't give him space and that pushed him away and that he doesn't want to hurt me anymore. Well at work yesterday, I found out that over the summer, he had cheated on me several times with one person for sure, possibly another, and those are only the ones I know about (and we were in a sexual relationship so it's not like he wasn't getting anything). I told him I knew about it, and he pretty much doesn't care. I also found out that at one point he was drunk and had to have his friend come over and hide his gun from him (he hunts and collects) because he didn't trust himself. I told him I was going to come to his house to talk to him in person about it and he starts flipping out that hes going to call the police or get a restraining order against me. Then today at work, we started verbally fighting. Lately my goal has been to just try and get him to realize how hes acting, by trying to get him to breakdown (which I don't know if that's the right thing to do but I don't know what else). So told him he's starting to turn into his dad (because he hates his dad) and he just says ha that's nice and laughs. And he just goes and tells his friends that I'm crazy and stalk him. And during the fight he was very openly saying details about him cheating on me and about his new relationship. And lying about a lot too because I know more than he thinks I do since I've been talking to his mom. He's turned into a pathological liar. He just can't stop. And while doing this, I was crying, and he just makes fun of me and mocks my crying. And pretty much just laughed at me. This is not him. Not at all. The things he was saying to me were horrible, and the real him would NEVER say those things. And if he did, once I started crying he's lose it and feel bad. And I don't even know if he feels bad about it at all. I want to say he goes home and sits there and thinks about what he said, but I'm doubting he does. The reason I'm holding on to this so much is because I just know, in my heart, that this is not him. This person really shouldn't even have the same name that's how much he changed. This might sound stupid, but 3 years into our relationship he gave me a promise ring. He always told me he would never buy me a ring, and I accepted that. I never asked for one. But then he did buy it. And he's not the type of person to just do or say things to make you happy. He doesn't do it unless he means it. So I knew he meant everything behind it, but this was before he changed. I'm only saying all these details so you can see the change he's gone through. He just turned into a complete monster. He's completely emotionless now. He doesn't care about any of the people close to him. Only the ***hole cooks that he works with that are a terrible influence on him, because they all cheat on their wives and girlfriends and lie. All he cares about is himself now, and he doesn't care that he's hurting everyone that loves him. He wants to get a job in law enforcement and I have a feeling this is going to ruin his future soon (if it didn't already). He told me he hit rock bottom a few months ago and picked himself up and got his life back on track. But I don't believe he's really hit rock bottom and I'm really scared to what might happen when he does. Also, he drinks pretty heavily, I don't think he's an alcoholic, but I know you aren't supposed to drink on adderall. So I'm not sure if that has any effect on it. I think these severe mood swings are because he may be bipolar, since a few months ago he was really depressed and now hes on a high, and the adderall is just making it more extreme but I'm not sure. And also, I know that he is passing out some of his adderall to friends. One I know for sure, and I'm pretty sure he's giving it to people at work too. He won't sell it because he doesn't want to be a "drug dealer", because he knows if he gets into law they might ask him that, but he's still giving it away which I'm sure is the same thing. I'm sorry that was so long, and I probably left out some important details that might matter. It's really hard to explain his behavior without someone actually being there, but I tried. Really the main thing is how much he changed so fast into a cold hearted person from someone who cared so much. I just really don't know what to do with myself, or him, because I know this isn't right and he's really in trouble, but doesn't realize it. I just want someones opinion or story to see if it really is the adderall or something else. And if there is anything at all I can do. I feel like I'm stuck running in circles and just can't get out. I'll answer questions too in case I left something out that might help to figure this out. Thanks so much!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, I know he doesn't sleep because of the adderall, so he takes that Tylenol Simply Sleep stuff every night, as well as a few beers to try and put him to sleep. That's been going on for probably almost a year. I'm not sure if knowing that matters but I thought I'd say it.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

*hugs* I'm sorry for what you're goin through

Well first thing you'll hear here, is to run away from him, especially if all he does it pushing you away. You can't make him get off his drugs, he will do it only if he really wants to do it. Don't be surprised if he acts like he doesn't care, because this is the sad truth.

Make sure you read this topic.. it's heartbreaking sad, but altogther, it is true
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ddicts-do.html
also, make sure you read all the other sticky topics in the section, it will help you to familiarise with the situation

I won't tell you to ditch him, but you must think alot before you make decisions. The only 2 options usually are to either get away from him, or just get used to the fact that he is the way he is and keep being around him without constantly push him to change, because that will only make him mad. I'm being called insane for choosing the 2nd option, though for me it is a quite different sitation as I'm not dealing with my addicted love one directly (ugh online thing)

Anyway, about adderall I cannot tell you more, but from what i understood it must be some antidepressant. I don't know much about those, I'm more documented into opiates, so i'll leave others give you some opinions over it

I wish you the best, and hope you will find some support and help on these forums
Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I say forget him and run as fast as you can, even if you have to change jobs. My sister was an addict for over 20 yrs. you cant help them they have to want to help themselves. He does see that he has a problem, but if hes treating you like this, then its time to move on. You are to young to commit yourself to someone who treats you that way. This could be a long road and alot of years you have wasted. Move on and find you someone who doesn't have addictions or mental problems b/c it is difficult to deal with I know I am bi-polar and it wasnt until I saw myself that I did something about it. My husband wasnt there for me although we lived in the same house. We have been married 29 yrs. but we don't have a marriage. Now hes not only an alcoholic, hes addicted to opiates. I have been trying for years for him to get help with his alcohol but he wont and now being addicted to painkillers, I just don't know how much more I can take. So my advice to you find someone else that is alcohol and drug free and has no mental health issues. At least you can start over and now is the time. So if I sound so mean I am sorry I dont mean to but I have years of experience in dealing with this mess. My dad was bi-polar, he handed it over to me and I handed it to my son, who wont get any help. At least I am in a place now where I'm not driving everyone around me crazy anymore! Poeple like us will only break your heart.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are really worried about the choices that he makes. The thing is, those are his choices to make. He is an adult, and he has the right to make his own choices. Yes, he could make the wrong choices, but that is his right. He needs to make his own choices, and then feel the consequences of his own actions. That's how people learn.

You mentioned that he is your "ex" boyfriend. You also mentioned that he's accused you of stalking him. I really think it is time to let him go. Obviously, you still care for him. That is understandable. However, you have no control over his choices. You can't make him get help for his moods. You can't stop him using drugs.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exactly, all you can do is let him go and take care of yourself.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, you can't save him. Addicts have to make the choice to recover ... or not. All you can do is save yourself, and put the focus on you and your happiness. Stick around and keep reading and posting. it will help you so much.

Remember the 3 c's of addiction:
You didn't CAUSE it
You can't CONTROL it
You can't CURE it
Old 12-20-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sorry that you are going through all this turmoil.

I can only tell you that nothing will change until he reaches his bottom and falls to his knees, until then, he cannot and will not get himself straighten out.

He must want to get clean more than anything else or anyone else.

You are young, let him go, move forward with your life, you deserve better.

My Best

Dolly
Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i understand that he's changed so much and that you feel he's not being himself but i'm sorry to say that his behavior does sound like the nature of addiction. i think maybe deep inside he is the person you knew but that person has been over taken by his addiction and there is nothing you can do to help him, he'll have to want to help himself.

i had to hit rock bottom before i was able to see that i needed and wanted help. i know its hard and hurts like crazy at times but i also think you deserve more. time to let go and began focus more on you. i honestly believe that one day you'll be glad you did. i'll keep you in my prayers
Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

jlk,

this is incredibly painful, i know (as all of us here do).

he most definitely sounds addicted.

here are some things might be going on:
1. crushing the adderal and snorting it
2. trading it with his co-workers - trading up perhaps
3. his "mood swings" could be due to a sleep-deprived psychosis. if he's on speed, he is
not getting the right amount of sleep, nor the right kind (rem sleep). doing this for
an extended period of time will change his mood, make him cranky, snap at people,
and really be delusional.
4. he is lying because he has to. his number one priority is keeping his fixes coming and
he is obsessed with it. he wants to keeps people like you and his mother away and
out of his hair/business. it's all about protection - protecting that which has become
the most important thing. his new girlfriend, other friends, things he owns, all
secondary.

i don't think it's his bipolar disorder. i have lived with more than one and what you describe doesn't sound at all typical of that. it is possible he had an incorrect diagnosis, but if he's abusing (and it certainly sounds as though he is) it doesn't even matter. he cannot arrest that disease until he takes care of this one. addiction trumps everything.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

jlk, please try and keep the distance. he is only hurting you now. remember what you like to do and the things that make you feel joy, then run to them
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh how I wish I could talk with you face to face. The addiction has settled into him. The man you loved is gone. The dream dies the hardest. I read your post and see so many things that are parallel with my own relationship with an addict and I'm mad at myself for not running at the first red flag! He is dead of an overdose now. And I mourn that he didn't get help in time. But he managed to drag me down a pitiful path to poverty, violence, abuse, kicked out of my home habitually, cheated on...oh the list goes on. Safe yourself honey. I'm sorry but know that we are here for you to vent on
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is it possible that his new gf is a user of some sort? The subculture of the druggies are plastic, nothing of substance. He'll find out.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You mentioned that he had been cheating on you over the summer, and now is with another girl full time? I'm sorry to say this, but it seems like he has already moved on from you, whether you think so or not...
I would be grateful that you are not going to be dragged into any more of the insanity that awaits his new girlfriend. I can assure you if he continues to use then he will not be a suitable partner for anyone in the future.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let go or be dragged. He doesn't sound like much of a prize. Alanon would help you. Reading Codependent No More would help you. He is your drug. RUN.