Notices

New To SRC

Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New To SRC

MY QUESTION IS: Anyone who has been clean for sometime, How long did it take for you to feel like a "normal" person again? Is there anything I can do to increase my energy level & do you know of any good "alternative" ways to deal with the mental/depression side of getting clean.

I am also here for support - I think the worst part is the guilt that you feel after clearing the fog out & facing the reality of what you have done
I am finding it easier to withdraw instead of talking about it, so I hope my post will find someone, anyone who can understand what it is I am experiencing, Not that I would wish this horrible "truth" onto anyone.

I look forward to any and all replies, Sorry for such a long post, I just have a lot to get out of this head & heart of mine, they are weighing very heavily & some how I hope this will help
Thank You In Advance
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TakingControl

I think it varies from person to person, and I definitely think it takes as long as it takes.
I don't think there's a generic timetable.

But, for me, it took about 3 months - but it probably took 6 months for me to trust in that feeling as 'normal', if that makes sense.

I think the best thing we can do is take care of ourselves - eat right, exercise, sleep well - try very hard to keep everything in our lives in balance, and everything sorts itself out.

That was the approach that worked for me anyway

If you're worried for any reason, tho, please see a Dr.
D
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi..Glad you joined us.
I have only been clean a little over a month so I dont have any answers for you on that or the mental alternatives.
But I do know how that guilt feels. I am still feeling it even after a month. But I am slowly coming out of it.
For me has taken alot of patience and acceptance. ALOT!!
Because not only did I lose everything in one night AGAIN! But I am also waiting as patient as can be to go into a sober living house that lasts 6 to 9 mos. And Also waiting ti start an IOP program, Its been about 3 weeks I have been waiting so far. I just want to get this ball rolling.
But alot of wise people here tell me all good things happen in time and theres a reason why things happen the way they do.
I cant argue with that.
So your not alone.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there...I am glad to hear you are taking control! I am only 11 days sober, but I would recommend a visit to your doctor. He or she can give you medication to take temporarily to help with the withdrawals until the alcohol is out of your system.

Your energy level will not be very high at first; please don't rush this, it will come as your body and mind heal.

As far as the depression...I don't know your personal situation, but we had lots of snow here today in PA. My son and I went sledding and built a snowman...it was a great to alleviate some of the depression I had been feeling, and took my mind off alcohol.

Do not beat yourself up with guilt. What is done is done. You cannot change the past, but you can take control of the future. If you decide to join AA, there is a step you can take in which you make amends to those you have harmed. I am by no means an expert on the AA program, so hopefully someone here can offer you some more in-depth information on that.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Taking Control,

I'm a newbe too. Been just a week. I feel you...the fatigue, nausea, slight fever, and a general malayze feeling. For me I don't miss it at all but my bodies adjustment is what pains me both physically and mental. I know how you feel and how you just want normalcy. It will take time. I have been all my life into exercise so to me that has been a refuge and natural high. Not sure what your level of fitness is but anything from walking, joining a gym, to running can lift your spirits. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Think my biggest problem was " what does a normal person feel like" ?

Define " Normal ".

I'm 19 months in, physically I'd say I feel normal, the mental side though takes a good bit of time I reckon.

I spent pretty much 18 years of my life addicted to alcohol, that takes a long time to get over in your head I reckon.

Its only last 6 months or so that I've had the confidence in myself to take new things on, make long term plans etc.

I was always wary of planning anything in advance as I could never trust myself to be sober or feeling well enough to go through with things.

I wouldn't put pressure on yourself by setting yourself goals, each sober day is another victory, gradually you just improve and then you find yourself just thinking different, can't really explain it, hope that makes sense.