Notices

Random Sort of Question about Sobriety Dates

Old 12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Random Sort of Question about Sobriety Dates

I know that sobriety dates are very important to those of us who have been able to achieve them. I am in VERY early sobriety myself, but I am just curious...for those of you who have months or years of sobriety under your belts, have you or did you ever consider getting your date tattooed on your body? Just would like to hear some thoughts on this.

Last edited by lostmyway; 12-18-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostmyway View Post
I know that sobriety dates are very important to those of us who have been able to achieve them. I am in VERY early sobriety myself, but I am just curious...for those of you who have months or years of sobriety under your belts, have you or did you ever consider getting your date tattooed on your body? Just would like to hear some thoughts on this.
No, I do however keep my latest coin on my keychain. To be on the body to me means that it is something forever. Well, me being sober is only one day at a time and people do go back out.... The % is pretty high so I do not take it for granted. But that is just me.. Your mileage may vary.

AG
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I know people who have. I wouldn't, but then again, of the two tattoos I do have (hidden from all but my husband and doctors), one is my ex-husband's initials.

After that, I swore off tattoos, period.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-18-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a tattoo guy so...no

D
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually I did 'think' about it, early in sobriety, decided then I might be 'jinxing' myself. Then again at about 10 years, was just way to busy, between work and meetings and several committees (not AA related) that I was on.

Then again at 20 years, and decided against it. Now it doesn't really matter. However, my leather Check Book Cover has a place for my 'current' AA coin and I put my new one in there every June.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about it but am still unsure. I don't know about my sobriety date but i have a couple of other little designs in mind. something that reminds me that i am always a beloved child of the universe, now ready to spread her wings and take flight!

all the best in your recovery, an honour to be on your journey with you x
Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

not a 'tat' type, sorry.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No
Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysGrowing View Post
No, I do however keep my latest coin on my keychain. To be on the body to me means that it is something forever. Well, me being sober is only one day at a time and people do go back out.... The % is pretty high so I do not take it for granted. But that is just me.. Your mileage may vary.

AG
Very good point. I wasn't taking into account how common relapses are...I remember hearing at a meeting once that relapse can be a part of recovery.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by lostmyway View Post
Very good point. I wasn't taking into account how common relapses are...I remember hearing at a meeting once that relapse can be a part of recovery.
Relapse is common, but in no way mandatory. I think the saying that "relapse is part of recovery" often gives people "permission" to relapse, as they are told "it is part of recovery".

I personally don't feel as though I have ever relapsed, I just wasn't serious enough about it to stay clean. I said I was going to quit, I quit for a few day or weeks, then went back out, but in reality I really wasn't serious about recovery.

It's been about 8 months clean for me now. In the past I considered the tattoo thing, but more chickened out than anything. I too subscribe more to the "one day at a time" philosophy. As long as I stay clean TODAY, all will be well. That is why I list my sobriety date as today, it's really the only day that matters. Take care.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember hearing at a meeting once that relapse can be a part of recovery.
I cringe when I hear that.
IMO I consider relapsing is part of the disease, not of recovery

I agree with Tyler - as someone who relapsed a lot, I look back and see that I was no way ready to quit back then.

My recovery involved a lot more than just not drinking, and for me it's an ongoing process - and I'm glad I 'got' that finally.

D
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I cringe when I hear that.
IMO I consider relapsing is part of the disease, not of recovery

I agree with Tyler - as someone who relapsed a lot, I look back and see that I was no way ready to quit back then.

My recovery involved a lot more than just not drinking, and for me it's an ongoing process - and I'm glad I 'got' that finally.

D
When I hear "relapsing is part of recovery", I also call BS but in a way I see it as part of the process of being willing. Maybe that person isn't ready but they think they are until they find time after time it takes more than just words etc.. So, today I see it as more of a 'growing' process. Just trying to look at it from more than a black and white angle.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
...relapsing is part of the disease, not of recovery
Very true. Why would anyone consider relapse a part of recovery? I've heard that at meetings. It doesn't make any sense to me. Relapse is definitely part of the disease.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I personally wouldn't i think there are many other options for small recovery tattoos out there and i do have quite a few tattoos.

BTW relapse is NOT part of recovery, how did we get onto that?!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In general, I feel that ink meant to commemorate or stand for something should be more symbolic than literal.* For example an image of a lilly for a mom who has passed away and loved lillies as opposed to the old RIP and the date she passed.
It could be a useful excercise to look for an image or symbol of what sobriety means to you. I did this, originally with a tat in mind, but ended up with some great insights.

*One exception to this; military and law enforcement. Those tats are just hot.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Nope but I keep it close to my heart
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

No

To me tatoos say: "Hey everybody, stare at me awhile. Can't you see how unique I am? I feel the need to express myself... I hope I distracted you because I need your attention........badly."

But that's just me. Not into the artsy fartsy deal anymore. But I can understand the mindset. I used to have hair down to my arse. It was a lot of trouble and kind of expensive. The "stylish" haircuts that cost an extra 25$. All the shampoo and conditioner down the drain. The time I wasted blowdrying in the 80's....sigh. I almost got whiplash once from doing the too-cool hair flip back deal with my head and neck. You know like Sebastian Bach? Then I stared playing golf and cut it all off. It felt like an air conditioner blowing on the back of my neck all day long.

My friend has full armbands. They were really colorful and looked suprizingly nice at first. But then he got in shape. Even though he kept them moist and avoided the sun they still faded after 4 years and when his arms got bigger. He regrets it.

But to each his own. Live and let live.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

NO

ps- love that response nogard.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No tattoo for me...not anywhere for any reason....

Instead of marking up my body....
I always carry my current year AA medallion in my billfold.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post

I personally don't feel as though I have ever relapsed, I just wasn't serious enough about it to stay clean. I said I was going to quit, I quit for a few day or weeks, then went back out, but in reality I really wasn't serious about recovery.
I agree. I have lost count of how many times I tried to get clean. It was so many times that even I couldn't take myself seriously anymore. No matter how much I THOUGHT I wanted a sober life, I just wasn't ready, it wasn't my time.

I like AA for the support, and going to meetings definitely helps me stay sober, but sometimes I just don't understand all of the philosophies involved. That's just me...I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that. Maybe it's one of those things where you just have to take what works for you and leave the rest? Again, I'm new to sobriety, so I am really just not sure.

Edited to add that I was not considering a sobriety date tattoo, I was just curious if it is something people do. BTW, I like Ninsuna's ideas regarding the symbolism of tattoos.

Last edited by lostmyway; 12-19-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts