Notices

PSA: Let Us Help You -- Posting Etiquette

Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

PSA: Let Us Help You -- Posting Etiquette

Hi, folks,

I don't often begin threads here, but a conversation I've had both in a thread and in private with another member has convinced me that this needs to be discussed.

Very often, new members post in a rush--long uninterrupted blocks of text that reflect the urgency and racing thoughts that go along with early recovery, or maybe while still drinking/using and seeking help. It's quite natural when that state of mind is expressed in that way. It's the way it feels, and there's so much to pour onto the screen!

Please, let it all out, but remember there are many middle-aged and older members here who would like to help, to offer experience, strength and hope, but who can't read without a little white space thrown in now and then.

So, if you will, please look at your text before you hit "submit new thread" or "post reply." If there are ten, twenty or more lines without a break in between, find a spot and break it up. Otherwise, many of us who might have something to offer will pass it on by because we just can't read text that densely packed together.

May you all have a blessed, clean & sober holiday -- no matter how you celebrate.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-18-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

..to each their own Sugah..

..as long as someone communicates..i really don't care

!!!! how they post it...merry xmas...oz..
Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there!. I totally agree, and I'm a huge advocate for proper writing and grammar. But the weird part is that when I've made larger posts, using correct spacing and indentation, when I press post it all ends up in a mash. ?? Anybody else have that?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with you, Sugah. Paragraph breaks are a great thing. I hate to ignore posts for that reason, but I just can't deal with it. It gives me a headache. If you have the experience mmeat talked about you can always edit after the fact. Help us to help you. I wish everyone a great weekend.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive never had that mmeat? Don't know why that would happen unless someone has written the text in word and then copied and pasted into the text area on SR...it may remove the formatting?!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I am just glad that the newcomer is reaching out for help--period. If I decide to read their post whether in may be written in one big paragraph or if it is broken down into multiple ones doesn't really matter to me. I wasn't all that "neat" out there in my addiction. I was a broken mess trying to reach out to anybody when I did ask for help. Thank goodness I was accepted how I was. There were no expectations of me. We each--as individual members of SR--can help someone in need.

**In fact, when I first started posting here--I used to post in all CAPS because I didn't know any better. One of the mods sent me a PM explaining that I was "yelling" at members--which I didn't realize it at the time. I was new to online posting. I thanked them for letting me know, then made sure each time from that point on that I had my CAPS turned off before I posted.

Patience, kindness, tolerance, love is our code. Love the newcomer where they are and be willing to share the message of recovery. "I am responsible" when any addict reaches out for help...regardless of how it is presented.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I too have a tough time with a long post that is not broken up in paragraphs. Sometimes, if it is particularly dense, I can't even read it and will pass on it. (Maybe that's a good thing, considering some of my responses )

But Hey, If the person reaching out needs help and I think I have experience, strength and hope to share, I'll do the work and read it. I've even used a piece of paper as a ruler so I wouldn't lose my place.

So, I'm with Sugah... If you think about it, while you are posting, break it up into paragraphs... If you don't, well, sugs and I will take off 10 points each!!

Good Tidings,

Mark
Old 12-18-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Yes, paragraphs definitely help in reading posts. Keep reaching out peeps, just hit the enter key a couple of times every so often!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yea..I agree with sug in the being easier to read. But I mostly agree with Ang. The last thing I was thinking about when I was a hot mess was spelling, grammar and writing techniques. Geez, I could barely speak a clear sentence at times.

I hope anybody will reach out whether it be in caps, spaced or not, misspelled or in another language. Just reach out people.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I definately perfer paragraphs and punctuation, but I'm guilty of not using either. It's usually when writing something particularly emotional, it just kinda flows and sometimes you forget. Still, the fact that a person is reaching out by posting anything is what is important.

BTW Wakeup, love the avitar. Those guys are amazing, spend days and days making those designs then sweep them away in about 10 min. Really shows you that material things, no matter how precious, are not what is important in life.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not that I am trying to make light of anything, but I find it funny (both haa haa and strange) what irritates us addicts. Especially punctuation, paragraphing, color, size of font, style, etc. We're all unique and it makes me chuckle, in a weird way, at how something so trivial can really get our goats, so to speak. I know, no matter what, if someone is asking for help, I'll read it, even if I have to get my bottle of excedrin out, and try to help. I'll read through the poor spelling (english might not be their native language), the poor punctuation (at least I don't have to grade it, right?), weird colors (hell, I use purple!), odd sizes and fonts, to help someone. There are a lot, more dangerous things (picking up strippers at their work place ring bells anyone??) I do in order to help someone.
As for me, since I am on the topic of the odd things that upset us addicts... Solitaire. Yeah, that computer game irritates the snot out of me. I'll play it and play it. And I'll cheat. I saved a game, that I know I'll win every time, and keep playing that same game, to boost my score percentage. How weird is that? It shouldn't really matter. It's just a stupid game.. But I get all flustered when I only win 1 out of 20 tries. LOLOLOL..
The things...In the grand scheme, it shouldn't bother us like that. Who cares? Apparently, we do. hahahaha.. Hell, read my blog whining about people PMing me to change my font, color, and size.. Even I've gone off about that stuff. Apparently, a lot of people care about how we're typing, but well... We've got so many choices! And we're not all American, so sometimes the writing style will be very different. Plus, a lot of us, American or not, when we get going, we forget about little things like punctuation, paragraphs, and spelling. LOL
Goodness.

Last edited by CrackQuack; 12-18-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Wanted to ad more stuff. LOL
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Wow, I didn't think I'd hit a nerve with my suggestion. I sincerely offered it in the spirit of being helpful

I can get through all kinds of creative punctuation, grammar & spelling (even use a fair amount of it myself), and it's not a matter of irritation or impatience that I started this thread--but of the actual physical ability to be able to read on the screen.

But, as I see from above, there are enough folks for whom it's not an issue that I think I'll work on letting it go and trust that newcomers will get the help and support they need without my input.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I do tend to skim through the ole "wall of text" because I lose my place wile trying to read it. Then I just try to get a feel of what the person is posting and do my best to reply to that.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Wow, I didn't think I'd hit a nerve with my suggestion. I sincerely offered it in the spirit of being helpful

I can get through all kinds of creative punctuation, grammar & spelling (even use a fair amount of it myself), and it's not a matter of irritation or impatience that I started this thread--but of the actual physical ability to be able to read on the screen.

But, as I see from above, there are enough folks for whom it's not an issue that I think I'll work on letting it go and trust that newcomers will get the help and support they need without my input.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
You didn't hit a nerve here, but is it that important to be 'tidy' if its the difference between those early posts or silence?

Kevin
Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looking through the thread, I think some might be missing Sugah's initial point

Please, let it all out, but remember there are many middle-aged and older members here who would like to help, to offer experience, strength and hope, but who can't read without a little white space thrown in now and then.
I'm one of those 'middle aged members' with vision problems, and I appreciated the post.

Lets not bend what was/is a reasonable idea out of shape.

Please do keep letting it all out.
Noone wants anything to the contrary

We welcome everyone here.
Say whatever you need to say, however you can get it out, and we'll work it out from there.

thanks
D
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We welcome everyone here.
Say whatever you need to say, however you can get it out, and we'll work it out from there.

thanks
D
I thought this discussion was going ok Dee!

On day one I could barely type let alone anything else and as you say it works itself out after that.

Kevin
Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugah. I can't read all the lines packed together. I can only see out of one eye. Probably would post more often, if I could see it a bit better. BUT I do...enhance the screen settings sometimes, when the fonts are tiny! It helps me. Hugs.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
I thought this discussion was going ok Dee!

On day one I could barely type let alone anything else and as you say it works itself out after that.

Kevin
I agree with this post, wholeheartedly. Definitely no nerves hit here and I am not upset. I was more concerned that it was irritating you! Sorry Sugah!
Anyway, the only thing irritating me is boyfriend spending 10 hours on the computer today and when I get on, ten MINUTES later, he says "I am ready for bed!"... RATS!!!! LOLOLOLOL. He's got me again...
Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Posts with separate paragraphs for different ideas definitely make them easier to read and understand.