Notices

Support from my mom

Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support from my mom

I had a heart to heart with my mom last night and told her the truth about my drinking, how much and how long it has gone on. She had no idea how bad it was, but I'm not that surprised, because I had the ability to be completely drunk and still talk perfectly, walk a straight line...I was completely functional. I chose to tell my mom because I want her support, especially during the holidays. My mom is the only person in my family (no exaggeration) that is not an alcoholic. At first she wanted to blame my dad, saying that my drinking was a result of a combination of genetics and living in fear of his drunken rages throughout my childhood. I told her that I am 27 years old now and am not about to blame anyone for anything...it's MY problem. In the end she was just happy to hear that I am taking the steps to recovery. Plus, it won't hurt that she can help me fend off my drunken grandpa at Christmastime who is always asking, "You want another one?" LOL. Anyway, this was a positive experience for me; I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my chest, and I just wanted to share.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know for me, Having my family's support is very crucial. It def helps take the sting out of feeling like your going it alone. Keep up the work.
And it always good to have mom on yoru side. No one gonna mess with the momma.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Mate. I think you've made a good decision telling your Mom and being totally open and honest.

Also what is really positive is that you accept total and utter responsibility for your alcoholism. You are not shifting the blame onto anything/anybody else which is really positive.

Have you thought about your plan of action for staying stopped?

All the best.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been to AA meetings three nights in a row now. I want to do 90 in 90, as they say. Being in the rooms keeps me from drinking. It's that simple. Maybe later on in my sobriety I won't need as much support, but for now I need everything I can get.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing the right things.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Sounds like you are doing the right things.
I agree.

Welcome. I'm happy for you.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

lostmyway good deal, for me I found the more honest and open I was, the more strength I was given by my HP to stay sober.

It still amazes me how powerful it is to simply say "No thanks" when offered a drink, I find it even more empowering when some one needs to know why and tries to get me to have one any how, I shut them down entirely with the TRUTH, I tell them "I quit drinking because I am an alcoholic."

The only people I have ever had try to get me to have a drink after me telling them I am an alcoholic, is a fellow alcholic who still lives in denial of their alcoholism and hopes that they can justify their own drinking by having every one they can join them in thier drinking.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you have your mom's support and that AA meetings are helpful for you. (((hugs)))
Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostmyway View Post
I had a heart to heart with my mom last night and told her the truth about my drinking, how much and how long it has gone on. She had no idea how bad it was, but I'm not that surprised, because I had the ability to be completely drunk and still talk perfectly, walk a straight line...I was completely functional. I chose to tell my mom because I want her support, especially during the holidays. My mom is the only person in my family (no exaggeration) that is not an alcoholic. At first she wanted to blame my dad, saying that my drinking was a result of a combination of genetics and living in fear of his drunken rages throughout my childhood. I told her that I am 27 years old now and am not about to blame anyone for anything...it's MY problem. In the end she was just happy to hear that I am taking the steps to recovery. Plus, it won't hurt that she can help me fend off my drunken grandpa at Christmastime who is always asking, "You want another one?" LOL. Anyway, this was a positive experience for me; I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my chest, and I just wanted to share.
You inspired me to be honest at my group today.

Thank you.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you, this post was inspiring and encouraging
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that lostmyway

I remember talking about my drinking, for the first time, was a huge weight off my shoulders too

Good for you!

D
Old 12-17-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been such a mess for so long that I cannot believe I have been an inspiration to someone else. Thank you all so much. You have really boosted my confidence!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration more than you will know. i have been around for a while and the greatest news always comes from the voice of someone who desires the freedom many have found. having the support of your mom is a real blessing.

Find a sponsor who has done the steps, take the steps and help others. I guarantee your whole life will change for the better.

Originally Posted by lostmyway View Post
I have been such a mess for so long that I cannot believe I have been an inspiration to someone else. Thank you all so much. You have really boosted my confidence!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great Lost. You sure are working this sober life in the right way. I am sure it feels great to have your mom in your corner. I am close to mine too and wouldn't trade her for anything. Just wanted to thank you for your post and the joyful message.