Notices

so this is sober

Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On my path.

so this is sober

I am tired and lonely and quiet.

This is a new/old feeling for me. Familiar but often masked with beer or wine or whatever we have. Tonight I am not masking it with alcohol, I am here. It is scary, but not so bad.

I have a strange combination of feelings - content, sad and hopeful.

This sobriety thing is going to be interesting.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Minneapolis buddy.

Everytime I've tried to quit, I'm overwhelmed with boredom. While I never make it very far, I'm pretty confident it'll pass with time.

Good luck with everything.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On my path.

Hey SpaceButler,

It is so nice to see you here. Boredom is hard for me too. Have you been to the Dec. Class of 2009? If you are interested, check it out, there are supportive people there.

How far have you gotten?

I am pretty sure I am going to need more that just luck. :-)

Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're here. It is a little strange at first. Gets better, though. Hang in there.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand so much, I am going through the same thing, on day 3. It's getting better though. Hang in there. A lot of things in your brain need to readjust themselves, etc. It might be very helpful for you to check out AA maybe?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just a few days in myself.

I always likened unrequited crushes I had when I was younger to addiction. Whenever I was turned down by someone I wanted, it would feel like an addiction; it'd be painful for a long time, because you're forced to abstain. But that difficulty and addiction goes away in time. It's gotta be a similar situation here.

Why doesn't the booze love me back? Ha.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On my path.

Thank you all for answering my call in the dark.

Rockets - I am seeing a therapist, tomorrow actually' I am not really much of an AA person. I had a few roommates in AA a while back, they seemed to have just shifted their addiction focus to AA.

(Please don't turn this into a big AA vs. non AA shootout. It seems that so much REAL stuff gets pushed aside so that AA/nonAA folks can duel it out.)

I am a newbie trying to find my way. Thank you for your answers and support. It was just what I needed.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On my path.

Hey Space,

I think that booze is the opposite of love.

Love is involved and open. Booze closes us and separates us from what we need.

Thanks for being here.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome 55438!!

I found that I had to find away to keep myself busy (especially in the beginning). I also had to change my routine while at home. Did things in a different order seemed to help. In the evenings when I would normally drink I'll go for a walk, put a puzzle together, write in a journal, read...just anything to keep my mind of that drink.

I'm on day 51 and there are more good days than bad now. I don't think about drinking all the time anymore.

You can do this!!

Deana
Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, sobriety is strange at first. Lots of changes require lots of work, but living sober is so worth it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On my path.

Thank you all for you kind words of support. I'm tired this morning but not hungover.

4ever - I'll work on Christmas cards this evening to keep me busy.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

No one ever said, it's easy but, it's well worth the journey. It was worth the effort to get sober and to have stayed sober
Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 55438 View Post
Thank you all for you kind words of support. I'm tired this morning but not hungover.

4ever - I'll work on Christmas cards this evening to keep me busy.

Tired...is there any other way to be??? Still have problems sleeping, but it seems to be getting better. I manage around 4-5 hrs a night now. Thats better than the 2 I was getting the first week.

Make a card out for me
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
On my path.

((4ever)) I found some great oldtyme paper, it is cut and awaiting the famous (infamous) Christmas photo.

I can't sleep again tonight. This time I'm not calm and quiet like last night instead I feel full of energy and tired. I'm looking for other newly night-owled folks out there in cyberspace to share and stay sober with.

Thank you for all of the positive productive feedback. I know if I keep coming to SR and listen to what is being offered I am in for a huge change. What am I saying 'in for' it is already starting to happen!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

55438 - perhaps jump on SR chat. There always seem to be people there due to the multiple time zones.

This is not easy, we all know. Please just have faith that it does get easier. Living life on life's terms is not always great, but it is a heck of a lot better than before.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Ya if you really want to change the way you feel, stay sober and experience a whole new world.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, we all need to find things to fill the time we used to spend drinking, recovering from drinking, thinking about drinking, etc, etc. I've found myself rediscovering hobbies I loved to do years ago, along with some new things that my formerly beer-soaked brain never would've even considered. Now, I find there aren't enough hours in the day to fit everything in!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 55438 View Post
((4ever)) I found some great oldtyme paper, it is cut and awaiting the famous (infamous) Christmas photo.

I can't sleep again tonight. This time I'm not calm and quiet like last night instead I feel full of energy and tired. I'm looking for other newly night-owled folks out there in cyberspace to share and stay sober with.

Thank you for all of the positive productive feedback. I know if I keep coming to SR and listen to what is being offered I am in for a huge change. What am I saying 'in for' it is already starting to happen!

You are making them yourself??? I'm lucky to get them bought and actually sent.

Did you get on the chat since you were up? I get on every now and then and it helps just to know that there is someone on the other side of the computer.

I was able to get my normal 4-5 hours last night. I'm learning to function on it. I'm actually changing my work hours starting next week so I don't have to come in so early. Hoping that will help.

Hope the rest of your evening was alright.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
On my path.

Good morning everyone,

Once again, thank you for you kind supportive words. I did not drink again last night, really not even tempted, it's more like breaking the routine. Former routine - Can't sleep, all wound up, have a drink to calm down, here have another.

Yes 4ever, I make my own cards every year. I have to admit that they have become less and less complicated.

See you later,

Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear that you didn't drink last night.