What is an al-anon meeting like?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is an al-anon meeting like?

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted here in quite sometime.

My husband just went through detox and in patient rehab last week. He is now doing an out patient rehab daily for the next month. This is a relapse, the second time we have been through this now. Everyone I talked to at the hospital said "you gotta get to an al-anon meeting". I have always wanted to try one but am a very private person and am quite embarassed that this is my life. I know that everyone there would be in the same situation, but still..... Anyways what is a meeting like and do I need to go to a beginner meeting first or doesn't it matter? Also do you find al-anon to be helpful?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have only been to 2 meetings so far but I like them. Go to one with an open mind and it may do you good. I haven't found "serenity" or any of that yet but I did find a handful of non judgmental people who understand what we go through and seem to understand the emotions we feel because they are there too. Try it, you don't have to say anything if you don't want to. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been going to AlAnon meetings for a couple of months and find them helpful. You aren't required to say anything. You can pass and just sit and listen. I recommend going to see for yourself. You'll be glad that you did!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm private and reserved as well-- I was extremely nervous about going to an alanon meeting, and put it off for a year. But when I finally got my courage up and went, it turned out to be the safest, most nonjudgmental environment I've ever found. If you go to a meeting and it doesn't "click" with you, try some others. Different meetings have different personalities. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I think you all have given me the courage to give it a try
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took me awhile to get up the nerve to go to a meeting, and now I really like it. The people are very accepting, and understand what I'm going through.

Good luck.