Really makes it sad.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Really makes it sad.

I saw an old friend of xh and mine yesterday. Ran into him at a convenience store. Haven't seen him in almost 3 years.

Last time I saw him he had been living in his little beat up truck, middle of December with no heat in the truck. His paychecks were pretty much buying gas and booze. His eyes were blood shot, he hadn't showered in who knows how long and at the time I thought he may have forgotten what a razor looks like. He was pitiful.

So I saw him yesterday at the store. He looked incredible!!! Was still working for the same company as he and xh were three years ago. He and another employee had stopped for coffee. He was clean cut, clean shaved. His clothes looked brand new. He was wearing cologne that was out of this world.

We talked for a little while. He asked how the kids were, if I ever talked to xh. When I said I hadn't heard from him in almost two years he didn't act surprised. He said xh told him if we didn't work things out he was gone, long gone, and I'd see how important he was in my life (too bad nothing has been as bad for me as our marriage was). He said he was divorced now too and he had no hard feelings for his wife, she didn't blame him for leaving. And he thanked me. Said he didn't know why I cared, or why I'd let some sorry dirty drunk stay the night at my house like I did for him. But I guess it made him realize he wasn't as alone as he thought he was. That night started a spiraling of events that cleaned him up.

I'm so happy for him. Sounds (and looked) like he was working hard at making a better life for he and his kids (they're all grown up now though--should be late teens/early twenties now). You never stop trying to improve the lives of your children though.

It's hard though. I'm glad he's getting better. He looked great. But how do you not let encounters like this hit you hard? I had sobriety standing right in front me and it ticks me off because xabf was not the one showing it to me! How do you not let it get you down?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

It doesn't get me down, it gives me hope that maybe just maybe my AH will eventually save his life, rather than commit slow suicide.

But, it's not for me to say.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

I never thought of it that way Still. Thanks!

You are right. I think with all the trial and errors I've almost convinced myself that xabf is never going to sober up and what is today is the way it will always be. I guess I need to let go a little bit more. Maybe it's still just some anger floating around inside me.

Ugh. Thanks again Still!