Notices

A.d.d.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A.d.d.

Anyone else with A.D.D. I took meds as a child anyone know if theres a link to alcoholism
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope some others will be able to help - I have no idea SCAMY.

I gave up trying to work out where my alcoholism came from - was it genetics, was it stress related or pain related etc - I just think it's far more important to deal with the issue as it exists today .

D
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi!

I did, still do, and no, there's no link that I've seen in research. Some folks abuse the meds in place of cocaine and meth that DON'T have ADD/ADHD, but there's not a correlation between alcohol and the disorder.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So do I (never taken pills for it). Main thing is, overlapping levels of existential identification with similarities and/or differences between us as individuals, rather than any statistics about those.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another tidbit SCAMY,

With age, many with ADD/ADHD discontinue phamaceutical/therapeutical treatment (some meds can cause brain damage when used for lengthy periods of time).

Since alcohol is a downer, adults may abuse it to calm symptoms or to sleep, as some outgrow ADD/ADHD, and some don't.

All about the ind. brain chemistry
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have ADD and was prescribed meds for it but I never took them. I was always more of a "downer" type person and didn't really like the way they made me feel, even though they helped with school and stuff.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I disagree, respectfully, with the poster who says there is no link between ADD and alcoholism. ADHD, especially untreated, leads to many other disorders... Alcoholism, addiction, depression....

ADHD may not actually cause alcoholism, but the origin for both may be the same. Or, one could lead to the other, or ADHD driven depression could lay the ground fertile for alcoholism.

Good stuff. But the treatment for alcoholism is the same.

Mark
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would add that Alcoholism and ADHD in an individual can be completely co-incidental. Treatment for ADHD doesn't have to pharmacologic either, effective non-stimulant treatments are available.

My EXPERIENCE with ADHD is not just from a personal perspective. However....

My personal experience with ADHD traits (I might have been full blown as a child/teenager) is that there is some kind of link. I'm not saying that one was responsible for the other... no it's not that simple... I think there are many factors.... personality, behavior, affect, sense, or lack of, well being... I guess I would say that whatever makes me who I am.... ADHD like, Alcoholic, Out Going, Thrill Seeker, Analytical, Whatever... all comes from the nervous system I was born with.

Is it that way for others? possibly....

ADHD is a subject that I can speak about at length as I have studied and worked with it extensively. I do not approach my recovery from alcoholism and addiction with the presupposed idea that my ADHD trait is responsible.... to the extent that ADHD is an excuse or a cause... I deal with my alcoholism in a simple and straightforward manner as found in the 12 steps of AA.

Mark
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

docters kept upping and changing meds mom said I walked around like a robot I have adhd she took me off after four years when i first started drinking i was hooked right away i was sixteen at five or six years i drank when ever possible but when i could buy it it was every day but for the most part i wanted to drink alone to the point to where when i was around people they were always asking are you mad what is wrong do you feel bad I just rather drink alone my wife never understood it I would sit in my building with my dogs and radio and sometimes drink a case or more alone my wife is a one or two time a year drinker so this the only problems we have she would ask what are you getting out of it all i would always try to change the subject fearing it would cause to some how think i wasnt under control but i finally talked to her sunday and she supports me and said she could care less if she ever drank again which is good im thirty two with twin boys and one girl but ive coched them every year i looking foward to doing it with a clear head and no hangovers im looking foward to life i fear the weekend but i feel stronger more confident this time ive quit alot of times but failed I GUESS when you just tell yourself you got to stop but the next game or friday when you get off you hit the first store like its calling my name It is hard to imagine never drinking again but im trying one day at a time
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All the same Scamy...in my field, we call it explanatory fiction...we all try to find a reason for the the things we do. Truth is, there is no such thing as a singular addiction gene. Also, there's a difference between causation and correlation: if 2 people had wrecks on the I-40 today after visiting DQ, anyone could say "ice cream causes car accidents" if they wanted to. NOT true, lol!

It's easy to blame our folks, past trauma, lovers, etc. for all our behavior, but that's victim mentality, and I can tell you ain't a victim.

Bottom line, you have ADD, you drink, you want to NOT drink, I assume, and starting here is a good place.

Love and hugs!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SCAMY04 View Post
... It is hard to imagine never drinking again but im trying one day at a time
one day at a time is the way - and your imagination will be fired !!!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sox

There is no direct link to ADHD and substance abuse, but those with ADHD are about 7 times more likely to have substance abuse problems. The reasons are as much biological as they are psychosocial. (I also have ADHD and researched the topic a few years ago.)

Those with ADHD are more prone to impulse behaviors, so the development of abusing substances to the point of dependency seems logistical. However, a lot of those with ADHD speak of developing substance abuse problems in trying to dull the problems the developed with confidence, isolation and embarrassment from behaviors stemming from their illness. I know a lot of my habits started this way.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good posts guys! Always thinking on here, aren't we, and good luck to all