none of my beeswax codie moment

Old 09-18-2003, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

none of my beeswax codie moment

Standing in line at the Speedway... absorbed in juggling my coca-cola 12 pack and my coffee and not really paying any attention to anything else until... I heard the guy in front of me say "A dollar in gas on pump 7." (A dollar?) The cashier says... "Actually, you pumped $2.03."

"Oh." Says the man, who I have now noted is fairly attractive and cleanly, if casually dressed. He starts scabbling through his change.

Well... anybody can run short on cash. I'm thinkin'... if the poor guy doesn't have it I'll pitch in. Yeh, yeh.... I know. Then I see HIS 12 pack on the counter. Beer. He can't afford an entire gallon of gas, but he's buying beer. My thoughts of helping the embarassed needy stranger were instantly erased. He had to go out to his car and dig for change... but by damn, he got that beer. None of my beeswax but I wanted to kick him in the shins.

This cashier is about my age and looks kind of frazzled all the time. When he left she just looked straight into my face with one of those "I've got one of those at home." looks and I looked back with my "I understand sister." look and nodded. We sort of giggled through her ringing up my stuff.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smoke, It is amazing how much I SEE it now....at 1st I thing I am being quick with my opinion, but a 2nd glance I find it to be true. It is so unfortunate and sad that SOOOOOO MANY people are either addicts or dealing with them!!!

I am beginning to think that if you choose to drink that at some point in time the alcohol will take over...and you won't even know it. My Dad is definately an alcoholic and I wonder about myself. I have a couple beers every now and then (REALLY, not like my husband says, probably 4 in a whole month!) while watching a game or dinner with the girls, but there were YEARS where I consumed WAY more than I should have. I just can't help but think that in another 10-15 years...will I be the one, is it worth the risk to even have ANY EVER? Is there really a "social drinker" or are we all ticking time bombs that will be spinning out of control later in our lives? Sure has made me stop and think and observe!!!

Anyway, that was kind of downer, but it does go thru my mind!
Blessings,
Contant
Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

I recall a similar incident in the grocery store. The guy in front of me had two 40 ounce bottles of beer. He practically paid for the whole thing in pennies, but by gosh he got his beer.

I couldn't stop shaking my head over that one all day....
Old 09-18-2003, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Smoke - you have a heart of gold and are nobody's fool.

It's amazing that when we see things through recovering codie eyes, the world is so much clearer than when we used to live in the fog.

I used to give every beggar on the street something, just couldn't pass by, until I began to give my money to the places that help the street people - shelters, food banks, soup kitchens.

And I feel no guilt now passing them by, but I do try very hard not to give them my "AS IF " look.

As like you, I can spot a codie a mile away....we just have that "look" of knowing.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-18-2003, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

giggle

I can just picture that scene at the gas station. And the truth is...
I just KNOW my husband played leading man in that role many many times. LOL!!! Just picturing it is cracking me up.

I was very stingy with the spending money during the week to try to keep him in gas, cigarettes and lunch without beer.

Oh, how foolish was I? No doubt he was living just the way the guy in your story was. Here's a story as example...

Now that my AH is sober he tells me things sometimes about how it was. One example is that he has ALWAYS been known as a Bud man. Everyone we know knows it. We even tried to get a birthday cake with a bud label as the design one year for him. I carved the Bud logo in a pumpkin for him two Halloweens ago. He has items all over the house with Bud logos on it. You get the idea. Well, he recently told me he always drank Busch beer at his regular pub, not Bud. I wass tunned. Why? I asked. Because a draft of Busch is a dollar but Bud is two. This way when I gave him enough for 3 he could have 6!
I was stunned. I have NEVER scene him drink anything but Bud. I said "but anytime we walked in together the bartender put a Bud and a Coors Light in front of us without our asking. She KNOWS you drink Bud. He said "No, honey, she knows I drink Bud when you are paying."

LOL!!!!!!!

He even said he'd always have a moment of worry when I was there that she'd mistakenly give him Busch. But she never did. They know how to protect their regulars.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"No, honey, she knows I drink Bud when you are paying."
:lol !!!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LMAO!!!

My AH has also become a financial genius when it comes to streching his beer money. He used to save all his beer cans so he could trade them in for extra beer money to buy more beer. My back yard looked like a collection site, not to mention a breeding ground for mosquitos. His mother our neighor put a stop to that!
Old 09-18-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Sometimes, It Is so comforting to image

"KICKIN EM IN THE SHINS" or "STOMPIN ON THEIR TOES"

Until the program sets in and I remember all the A's I love and am making a living amends to one day at a time....

Personally, I prefer the Stompin .... Just fun to think about sometimes...I wonder if I should talk to my sponsor about that....
Old 09-18-2003, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
They call me Kim

I bartended for many years......

Got out of it when I realized Michael was an addict....

That's the ONLY good thing that came out of my realization.

Now I'm without a job...but at least I don't have to work in a self-destructive environment anymore.

And yep....I wanted to kick him once or twice....but I punched him instead!

Am I sorry I did it? Yeah...I am now.....(Now that I know that it's a sickness for him and not a choice)

But was I sorry at the time? Hell NO!....oops.....I said a swear....

Bad Kim...Bad Kim....

Sheesh.... I better get to a meeting.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Never thought about this much before but now I cant help but wonder.

If youre not supposed to drink and drive, then why are you allowed to drive some place to drink.

Do they think you gonna get home on a pogo stick.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMG Cecelia!!!! LMAO!!!!

That is so true!
I'm sure everyone who goes to a bar takes a designated driver...NOT.

A few weeks ago, I stopped at the 7-11 near my house because they had the cheapest gas prices. Well, at the pump opposite mine I see this guy that sounds as if he could be the same guy. Fairly good looking, neatly dressed but this guy was a little too hyper if you get my drift and was bothering people at the pumps for money to get some gas.
Being the alcohol/drug detector that I've grown to become, I can spot a junkie or a crack head a mile away and when this guy had the NERVE to approach me, my only answer was, "You've GOT to be kidding brother...AT THESE PRICES?????"
So, on he went to the next poor, unsuspecting guy at the next pump. What really ticked me off was this guy was driving a fairly new pick up truck! It also amazes how people will actually give these folks money, just to get them away from them or out of some feeling of fear. The guy in front of me never even spoke to the gas bum, he just reached in his truck and grabbed his change holder and dumped it in the guys hand!!!

Well, I was glad I didn't give him any money, although I honestly didn't have any because I rarely carry cash, because the next day, at the very same time, I was passing the same gas station and I got the red light on the corner.
YEP, you guessed it. There he was AGAIN, hitting people up for money at the gas pump!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sdp

I have also wanted to hit him, but never have-- I'm not a hitter. /i have dreamed about it tho.....
Old 09-18-2003, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

I am standing next to a rude dude at the
minit mart who is buying a 5 cent piece of
candy with a 1 dollar food stamp. He gets his
change, turns around and walks to the beer fridge, comes back and then pays for a beer.

Irritated....who me?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OH Jesse&Me!!! LMAO!!! I am sure my hubby has been there. He also drinks Bud except when he has no $$$$.

Smoke, I can just see your story. I am sure hubby has gone many times to buy beer with a hand full of change. And yes that is addiction.