Favorite quotes from SRFF forum

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Favorite quotes from SRFF forum

About chasing an ex off FB: "I'm so thankful for my psychoness that made him quit."

Response to boyfriend saying his relapse was "no big deal": "I dunno, maybe I've gotten a little square in my old age, but waving an open container around on a busy city street and then later pissing your pants is a big deal."
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cynical One's Signature line on how to be:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Thinking of this when I get out of bed in the morning is stronger than a hot cup of earl grey for me.

Love the thread! I hope some others chime in with their favorites, too.

Alice
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From KeepPedaling:
Ya, so last night my bf called me and sounded like he'd been drinking... He insisted that he wasn't drinking. I asked him why he was slurring. He said he burned his tongue on hot bacon.

He spent a lot of time trying to convince me that he wasn't drinking. When he said noon instead of midnight, I said, "noon?" "Noon?" He thought a minute then got snappy, "Ya, noon! That's my nickname for it! If it's midnight, I say noon!"

Then later, she called him; "Bacon Boy".

LMAO - we all got lots o'laughs out of this one guy.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quoted "getting in touch with your inner action hero" today
Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I dunno, maybe I've gotten a little square in my old age, but waving an open container around on a busy city street and then later pissing your pants is a big deal."

Heh, thanks for bringing that one back. It was one of my faves. Who said it?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Givelove:
You are absolutely gloriously perfectly imperfect whether a single other human holds you in their thoughts right now or not. You are completely deserving of the space you take up on the planet simply by virtue of breathing. No one else has the power to define you.
This really made a big difference in how I think. When I start to beat myself up, feel down etc I just remind myself of this.

LaTeeDa:
It doesn't matter if he drinks vodka or pineapple juice, it's the behavior that matters. If someone in my life binges on pineapple juice, and then behaves in a way that troubles me, it doesn't matter if I label that person a pineappleholic or not. What matters is I am spending my life with someone whose behavior is a problem for me.
pineappleholic still cracks me up for some reason...

Kindeyes:
I visualize my emotional state as a "brick". It is MY brick and I protect it carefully. Because if I give that "brick" to someone else, it gives them the POWER to bash me in the head with it. For whatever reason, we give that brick to the A's in our lives and they KNOW they have it. They lure us close to them with the right words and then WHAM they hit us upside the head with our own brick.

Take your brick back.
Pajarito:
"Don't make me use my super powers!"
TakingCharge:

When xAH is not around I imagine he is dead. And when I run into him I think "beware... cursed zombiE!! OUT OF THE WAY!!"
You know, I could spend the day just re reading old posts and putting stuff on here that has inspired me/made me laugh/made me think etc. This forum is awesome!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Don't remember if I heard that here or not. But I try to think of it every time I'm having a rough day and wonder why I'm doing whatever.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The muffler is almost entirely gone on my car and I have no money to fix it. I drive around in a constant state of embarrassment because you can hear me coming for miles. People on the street actually laugh and point at me when I go by. Seriously.

Today, I remembered the following words I learned on SR...

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

After that, I road down the road singing to the radio. Let 'em laugh...fools.

Thought I'd share.

Alice
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

CatsPajamas:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

LaTeeDa:
"Confusion is mostly the result of magical thinking.
Reality is not very confusing at all!"

Bucyn:
"Apologies and amends are not part of his family culture."

Author unknown:
"Don't make someone a priority when you are only an option."
Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Warning: this will be a very disorganized post...

itsme, in therapy sometimes you are asked to put yourself in those "vulnerable" positions IN PURPOSE so your ego gets a good beating and you realize... nothing happens!!

I tried to pay something and my card didn't pass... I was ashamed with the strangers in the line and my sister... she helped me out... but who cares? bad ppl will always have something to criticize you for..

book I think GL quote was in response to one of my threads, and it also lifts me up!! LOL "cursed zombie"..xabf sits near the door so I know if he is there or not... when he is not there instead of imagining he is this great man on the beach with "other gf" I imagine where he could be if he was paying karma and is late because he is...

/ cooking for free in the taco stand where he pays for 5 tacos when in reality he eats like 25, and they caught him.

/ sleeping after finding a picture of me and crying all night, realizing i was the only good person in his life and he lost me forever lol.

/ looking for a Zeppelin ballon for rent, to place a sign "TC, I am truly sorry" for everyone at work to see.

/ going to a car shop because he found out the drunk neighbor hit his beloved Matrix during the night.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

oh there are so many quotes, I don't remember who posted these but this is my "sanity.txt" file.. a little bit disorganized but still helpful

If I don't put what I'm being given to the best use I can, why would HP continue to give me so much in the future???

do I want a life and relationships in which I can be fully emotionally involved and present and in which others can and are committed to doing/being the same?

I found the healthier I became in my recovery, the more I wanted to spend time with other healthy people who brought something to my life, and vice versa!

Just try and remember that the man you are missing is not the man he is right now. The fact tht he can come out with something so hurtful, is the very reason you don't want contact. That's not how you remember him and that's not what you need to hear right now or ever. And his words are just designed to hurt you because he's not feeling good about himself. Instead of working on himself, he's masking the problem with another girlfriend.

You're stronger than you give yourself credit for. If you cut the contact, he doesn't have an opportunity to hurt you with his words or actions. It's much better that way, trust me. I never thought I'd get to a place where I'd be talking like this.

Active A's aren't in love as you might want to be.
He'll be the same eventually with the new woman too. Probably worse this time as he is progressing. //MissFixIt

It is true. No one can give what he or she does not have. Casual sex, binges and love words, are not the real thing. In love's presence there is freedom and joy, and there is no hurt at all. This could not have been the love I seek.

This is manipulation. He is trying to make you doubt yourslef and blame you for not understanding him. It is HIM, not you. He will do it again to her after she can't live up to his ideal image either. No one will be able to stay on his pedestal and put up with drinking/lying. //MissFixIt

You have to be able to keep in mind the difference between their world and reality. You are living in reality, they live in their world. When the two clash, they swear they're right and you're wrong. You have to remember that always. Your truth is reality because you're not the one who is sick and in denial. (It's kind of like not taking them seriously. They lie, they get confused, they make up things.)

Am I willing to deal with the characteristics of an addict? (You have to read up on what they do, how they operate, how the addiction affects their brain.)

Am I willing to give up friends and family in exchange for being in a relationship?

Am I willing to be in a relationship with someone who gives me less than I put in?

Am I willing to be 2nd to the bottle or drug?

Am I willing to subject myself to the type of friends an addict tends to attract?

Am I willing to be with someone who may wind up very sick with no insurance to cover him, no long term care insurance and so I would have to make arrangements for his care?

Am I willing to be the only financially responsible person in the relationship?

“What you want also wants you.
If you seek the celestial, the celestial also seeks you.
There are no unanswered requests in the universe.”

They are experts at concealment, and lying. They go to all lengths to protect their addiction. Eventually, your AH will become "unfunctional". That is the way it goes if he continues to drink.

I can't think myself into right living, but I can live myself into right thinking.

Take the risk of stepping into an expanded leadership role, especially in the areas of healing, spirituality and social change. Let go of rigid ideas of who you are and be an inspiration to others by living your dreams.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I don't remember who said it but I remember reading . . .

"Don't wanna be a doormat, get up off the floor"
Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are no victims, only volunteers.