Recovery in action :)

Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery in action :)

Greetings to my SR friends...old and new

altho I do not post often I do drop in to read and know many of you through your stories

It's always so apparent that a post that updates and reflects recovery in action is a blessing to those that are in the midst of their struggle and so I wanted to share my joy

those that remember my story know I was in despair over my son's addiction....we almost lost him physically to an overdose we certainly were losing him mentally and spiritually to drugs....like so many others, I wanted my son back, I wanted to look in his eyes and see him not the black void that was staring back....

fast forward (so much easier to do that on computer than it was to live it!!)

My AS is truly my RAS!...after years of rehab and living in a sober house he now has his own place, a job and a full life! He started addiction as a troubled youth but has emerged as a wonderful caring man...the years took its toll and the changes are apparent but he survived and reclaimed life...its not the life he would have had without addiction's effects but it is a life that is full and worth living....he is actively engaged in working with other addicts and I know that keeps him humble and aware of the dangers that are ever present

as for me....I am doing fine....my family has experienced many of life's ups and downs these past years....addiction isn't the only crisis that a family faces...we've had our share of illness and economic woes but we handled it all usually borrowing skills from our recovery tool box
I am a grandmother (finally a little girl to love!) and will soon welcome another daughter in law to our growing family

life is good
miracles do happen
never give up

I keep all of you in my prayers
please remember me in yours
Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your positive update! Glad your RAS found the path to recovery and is staying on it. Miracles DO happen!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by lil516 View Post
life is good
miracles do happen
never give up

I keep all of you in my prayers
please remember me in yours
Lil, thank you for sharing this and I share your joy that your son is doing so well. He, and you, remain in my prayers also.

It struck me, what you said about his life being so good...in spite of what he has been through. I often think that it is "because" of what we have been through, that our lives get better too. I know that I would not appreciate the peace and joy I feel today had I not walked in the dark places that were my life for so many years.

It's good to see you. Newcomers here may not know you, but they know your story and you have brought the light of hope with you in your post. Thank you for that.

Big hugs and lotsa love
Old 12-05-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah! A HAPPY STORY!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Year's ago, I worked with a man who, when the going got tough, was fond of saying, "it's not Viet Nam." He had a different perspective on tough than the rest of us.

Living the absolute hell of addiction and codependency and coming out the other side, creates a perspective than no one who has not walked in these shoes, can fully appreciate.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A Blessed Holiday Season to all!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lil, Thanks you for sharing the good news! I am so happy for you and your son.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, please tell him for all of us that we are proud of his courage and strength! And the same goes for you, Lil. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lil, It always warms my heart to see your name pop up here and to read your stories of recovery ...for your son and for you. Congratulations dear Grandma - how wonderful! My surviving daughter's boyfriend recently asked for blessings to pop the question (how sweet of him to do that...he is a gem) so we are just waiting to hear when the magic moment occurs. She's found a wonderful life in recovery as well.

I don't quite know how I'd get through all life throws my way without the tools I've acquired in recovery. We aren't what we may have been, but I believe in many ways we are better people. Happy holidays to you and yours!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to all for the warm wishes....stopping in to post feels a bit like "coming home"

To all my SR friends...old and new
I wish you the blessings of a Silent Night...
"all is calm..."
Old 12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad to hear good news for a change. All of us mother's are waiting for the day we can post such good news. Wishing you a wonderful holiday with your family and friends.