Notices

Last Night

Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last Night

OK. Some of you may of saw my first post yesterday "I Finally Did It". 5 Days sober now and this morning a feel great. I can't believe how good I feel. Especially what I've done to my body and the tons of alcohol consumed. Last night was interesting. I left the office about 6:30. I have about a 45 min commute. Called wife and she and my 21 year old step daughter went Christmas shopping. So I stopped by my local favorite Mexican restaurant and stepped up to the bar to watch sports and get some H20 and tortilla soup. I felt great, but I started shaking a little bit. It was cold so I put my jacket on. I still was a little bit shaky. As sit in my office and sip my coffee and write this to thread I notice I'm a bit shaky. I feel great though.

My question is, is this normal? And if so how long will this shakes last? I'm assuming it varies from person to person, but I would like your thoughts.

Thank you so much and I'm so glad I found this website.

FYI- you should know I'm in Houston, TX and we are expected to get 1"-5" of snow starting before lunch so it is cold and I'm not used to this weather.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

You should really talk to your dr about the physical issues that you are dealing with.

Congratulations on your 5 days sober!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I didn't handle my detox well at all, cold-turkeyed it and shook for 4-5 days. I really wish I'd handled it differently and seen a doctor, and I encourage you to do the same. Yep, everyone will have a different experience.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The problem for me seeing a doctor is I don't want to be medicated. This may sound contradicting, but I'm kind of a health nut. My best guess is if I've gone 5 days and I feel better with each day. The shakes seem to be minimal compared to what they were day 1-3. I appreciate ya'lls input, but I may get through the weekend and then make that decision on Monday.

My biggest concer was seizures so I took Vitiman B and from everything I've read that by 72 hours after your last drink you should be out of the woods, but I'm still on Vitiman B. Any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
We're not doctors and can't give medical advice here.

My point....I thought I needed to be a gutter drunk to get medical help with detox or treatment, obviously that's not true. After 5 days of shaking it off and 12 days of sleeplessness I ended up in a mental hospital. Seemed like a good idea to take some medication then to at least get a good nights sleep

Up until that point I was a "health nut" too, riding a bike and walking every day (did both things drunk). Thankfully smarter thinking prevailed after my hospitalization. I needed help and medication in my recovery.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

None, 12 hours, 72 hours, everybody is different. You should seek medical advise either way. You may or may not seize, but what if you do? You are a health nut - imagine what this would do to yourself and your family. Whatever you do though, make sure someone knows about you stopping drinking and don't give in. The good feeling only gets better. Keep us informed. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always battled through too redfish.

But, like Astro, I wish I'd been responsible and seen a Dr.

I don't say that because I 'have' to here - it seems most people are fine...but I'm still dealing with health issues from my last unsupervised detox...and probably always will.

I spent 20 years self medicating - I've learned now an trained outside perspective can be useful

D