Notices

My fight with Alcohol

Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My fight with Alcohol

Hi people

I haven't been on here in a while, other than lurking because I haven't been in a positive place lately. I have been drinking, but with the help of my local drug and alcohol group (not AA) I have been reducing my intake. I had got down to 2 cans of Murphy's of an evening.

Then my Granddad went and died, this wasn't my biggest problem though. It was the funeral and family that was my hurdle. I am not very good at going in to situations that I am not sure about, plus I have issues with various members of my family. Whether it's paranoia fuelled by my other half I am not sure, but I have a large problem with my sister in law, it was suggested that I go to the funeral with my step brother and sister in law??!!?? Even though my Mum knew I had issues with SIL, so I went in my own car and it was all ok, I kind of ignored my SIL and had an ok time.

This put me back to 4 cans of an evening for a couple of days afterwards and then I decided to decrease again, so at present I am on 1 can and not sure whether I will be non drinking over xmas or not, it depends how stressed I am.

I am doing counselling and I am also doing a bible study at my church. I have just joined a group at my D & A centre, I still feel slightly fraudulent because my alcohol issue is small compared to one lovely lady who goes there. She was on drugs for 30 years got clean then went on to alcohol, got clean for 18 months and then fell off, she is due to go for detox soon and hopefully she will feel better about herself. I don't really know what to say to her because I have never been where she is at. I did say that we take baby steps tho'. She is so sweet, she seems to have been affected mentally by all her yaers of problems.

Anyway must dash got to take no2 son to school
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your granddad greebo.
Welcome back tho and thanks for the update.

I spent years using booze to self medicate my stress too - but I got to the point where not only did it just not work anymore, it actually made my anxiety worse...and the other problems drinking bought with it made my whole life unmanageable.

I really hope you look into other ways to manage your stress, Greebo.
D
Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Here is all I can tell you, as long as I kept "fighting" the things I was using in my addiction...I had no hope of getting sober (however you define sober) It wasn't until I realized that sobriety had nothing to do with me overcoming or fighting anything, that I had any hope. When I realized sobriety isn't me going without something, but me having something better...a meaningful life free of being bound to my addictions...that I felt like it was worth pursuing.

When I realized that it didn't mean I was going to have to fight and stay in vigilant control of something that was trying to control me...I was able to relax enough to do something different...like live sober.

To fight or struggle with anything, means we are still intimately engaged with it, and still putting a lot of energy into it.

When I stopped fighting, I could free that energy up and use it for other things.