Notices

How long does this take?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does this take?

Hello everyone. I have been here for a few months and have finally started AA and my recovery program. I am sober 22 days now and feeling pretty good. I have no desire to drink and every time I get a craving, I just think of how crappy I felt just 3 weeks ago and the desire to drink leaves me. I am so grateful to AA and this site for my recovery.

Here is my question. My sleep is pretty much normal now, and I feel great when I first get up. But by about mid afternoon I get really tired and just no energy. I get dizzy and light headed. I am just wondering if this is still my body getting re-balanced to life without alcohol? I know that I abused my body for quite a while, and I would not be surprised if this was the cause. I know we can't give medical advice, and if I thought it was serious enough to warrant going to a doctor, I would. It isn't that bad. Just wondering if anyone else has had these sort of feelings and how long they lasted.

Thanks to all of you who have been so instrumental to my recovery. I have a long ways to go, but as they say in AA. ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Last edited by bdiddy5522; 12-01-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello! Congratulations on 22 days! That is a great accomplishment.
It is always a good idea to regularly see at least once a year or more if necessary a doctor this is especially true if we have any pre existing conditions of which alcoholism is one of. So I cannot recommend highly enough setting up a appointment for a physical exam and definitely let the doctor know what has been going on in terms of your past alcohol abuse and your 22 days of sobriety etc. During a routine physical blood work is usually analyzed as well as urine, if there are any deficiencies or issues these should show up.
It would probably be very beneficial for you to also start a exercise program (if you are not doing that already) 25 minutes of brisk exercise a day (or even less if you do not have enough time) will really help with your general mood and overall condition. Talk to your doctor about that. You may also want to speak with your doctor about vitamins and diet, what we put into our bodies really is important especially after we are cleaning up the mess we caused ourselves by our hard drinking and using.

All the best to you! Keep up the great work!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Brent,

Sounds like your blood sugar might be dipping. Most alcoholics are hypoglycemic. I was hypoglycemic before I was an alcoholic.

Try to refrain from refined sugar and carbs. An afternoon snack would probably get you over the mid afternoon slump. Nuts are good, cheese, V-8 juice...something with protein
and carbs usually works.

I keep nuts in my drawer at work so when I feel myself sinking a bit., I sneak some in.

I also drink a ton of water to help keep my hydrated.

Hope some of this may help....
Old 12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it sure could be a low blood-sugar issue.

I always knew that I was hypoglycemic, from when I was a small child, but I didn't know that it would play a role in pushing me towards alcoholism.

Anways, I find that I eat frequent, small meals and never go for very long without good. It really, really helps.

If this continues, talking to your dr could be a good idea.