I think my brother is using again.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I think my brother is using again.

I have a brother who was addicted to painkillers. In Feb. of 2009, he was sent to jail for 5 months. He was released in July of 2009. He claims that he got off the painkillers in jail. Shortly after he was released, he got a prescription for xanaxs. The prescription is for one in the morning and one at bedtime.

He is 34. He still lives at home. He makes 10.00/hr working 32-35 hrs/week. He has no bills to pay. He is always broke. He always has an excuse of where his money went. Usually he says his girlfriend needed some help paying a bill. I have seen him messed up a couple of times since he has been released. Droopy eyes and slowed speech. He said that he just took both xanaxs for the day at the same time.

Our dad gave him a job when he got out. He was always late for work and always had to leave early. He worked about half the time. This went on for about 2 months. He said the reason why he missed work and got the xanaxs is because there is an adjustment period from being jail to being in the real world. I have heard of this, but would think that you would have to be in jail for more than 5 months to be this bad.

I asked him if the xanaxs were like giving an alcoholic a beer. He said that he was addicted to painkillers and has never been addicted to xanaxs, therefore it did not affect his sobriety. He claims he can put the xanaxs down anytime.

Am I wrong to think that my brother is abusing again. He does seem better than before he went to jail. I want to help him. If he is using again, I don't know if I can handle it. He just about tore our family apart.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like he is substituting one drug, for another. So goes addiction.

Too bad someone allows an able 34 year old, to live at home, like a big ole baby, without a care in the world. So goes enabling.

You can either make it your problem, or not. Regardless of what you do, or not, your brother is going to do what he wants to do.

Take the focus off your brother. You will sleep better, at night.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to agree that it sounds like he's using again.

If he is, it's time for you to make a choice for yourself. You can either allow yourself to be dragged down with him and bring the turmoil and drama back into your life or you can decide that you're not going to be a part of it.

He is an adult - he is capable of helping himself if that's what he wants.

You need to take care of you!

I sometimes worry that my dad is going to start using again. He's a grown man who has been given every opportunity to help himself (sounds like the same goes for your brother). If he did start using again I would have to make some hard choices - I would have to choose me. It would be hard but I know it would be the right thing to do (for us both).

It's a crappy situation to be in - I truly feel for you.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

xanax is a highly addictive drug, it also has serious side effects when stopped abruptly, this medication when abused or when stopped abruptly can cause death ....

I'm not sure what doctor gave your brother the xanax, but the doctor must not be aware of his addiction issues.

Taking more than the prescribed amount or taking it more frequently than ordered~~~~ is an abuse of the medication ............with ANYONE thats not a good sign---- but expecially with an addict ------so the answer to your question is Yes he is abusing drugs again.

You said you wanted to help him......With all of that said............I want to mention that theres nothing you can do to make your brother stop using drugs, you didnt cause it you cant control it and you can't cure it.

You mentioned that you asked him about the xanax......I'm not trying to be mean but asking him is point less he ( his brain) wants the drug hes not going to say.......yeah its just the same or its harmful for me...........often the addict is in such denial themselves they cant see the truth much less tell the truth

..the thing is-- an active addict who wants to find recovery from their addiction doesnt continue to use other drugs.........they inform their doctors so the arent given narcotic or controlled drugs, they dont drink and they work a solid program...........it doesnt sound like hes doing those things.........

You mentioned your family and how it almost tore you all apart before.........addiction is a family disease.....it hurts everyone not just the person using...........

did you notice the sticky posts on the top of the forum? Theres alot of good information for families in the sticky posts both on the friends and families of substance abuse and alcoholics
try reading some of that and stick around others will be by with support...........
Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He is changing seats on the Titanic. You and your parents should try Alanon. Everything he is saying sounds like untruths. We call it quacking here. Lots of people around him are enabling him so he has the money for drugs. He has probably conned the doctors. Sounds like a good time for an intervention. They are conpeople. They lie. He was probably not clean in jail. They have to want it. Alanon will help.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sounds to me like your brother is using again too and if he continues, it may not be long before he's back to where he was before. just give it time, then you will know the answer to your question, there's nothing you can do about it anyway. i think he may be substituting one drug for another and usually even that will lead back to the drug of choice.

i'm a recovering addict, for me, i CAN'T drink and i'm the first one to let any doctor know that i DO NOT want anything prescribed for me that's addictive. i agree with liesagain.