odd question

Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

odd question

My hubby has progressed (in a bad way) from drinking a few beers, to a few mixed drinks, to shots of rum, to straight shots of bourbon.

He typically drinks 2 1.75 liters of bourbon a week now, plus some beer.

This past week he is still acting drunk (passed out on sofa, slurring words, ugly attitude, can't open eyes all the way even when he's awake.) I swear he's drunk...
BUT
I can't smell any liquor and his hiding spot is empty. (yes I check...i know bad me)

My question...is there something he culd be drinking that i wouldnt smell?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

A question for the question: Does it matter?

This is the behavior you are witnessing:
he is still acting drunk (passed out on sofa, slurring words, ugly attitude, can't open eyes all the way even when he's awake.)

Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am no Dr., but if his liver is getting really bad it could be his body is not metabolizing the alcohol so he could be drunk even though he has not had a drink for a couple of days. But alkies are experts at hiding booze and hiding drinking.

Pelican's point is right on.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They say vodka doesn't smell, but when my AH would drink, and vodka was his preferred beverage - I developed a nose for it. Aside from that, I also developed a keen awareness of when he had been drinking, even when he'd come in the front door, and I was in the kitchen... some 25 ft. away, I could tell.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by isurvived View Post
They say vodka doesn't smell, but when my AH would drink, and vodka was his preferred beverage - I developed a nose for it. Aside from that, I also developed a keen awareness of when he had been drinking, even when he'd come in the front door, and I was in the kitchen... some 25 ft. away, I could tell.
isurvived,
my father drank vodka because he thought it didnt smell. let me tell you it certainly does smell, and even without the smell, i could tell from 25 feet away too. a certain tilt of the head, a mean glint in his eye, a small sway while standing. very easy to tell. even now, 40 years later, i can spot a drunk from yards away, and got one kicked out of my group for coming to the meetings drunk. there is a certain awareness that comes with any kind of alcoholism, and sadly the kids learn it first and fast.

Last edited by wicked; 11-29-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added ism
Old 11-29-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

polydrug use

Could be using/abusing benzodiazapines or barbiturates. When taken/abused the symptoms are like a drunken state. I would be watching out dragonfly. If hes getting them from the street he could be putting you at risk for a crime and could combine these with alky which is very dangerous. Ask him if he's got any xanax or valium or the like in him.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

even without the smell, i could tell from 25 feet away too. a certain tilt of the head, a mean glint in his eye, a small sway while standing. very easy to tell.

this is how i'm feeling tonight..he's actually more hateful then he's been in weeks, and i honestly just can't figure it out. I thought at first he was sick..not feeling well since he wasn't eating.
But I swear every single action is like when h'es had to much to drink.

Maybe it shouldnt matter....but somehow it does. To me.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

That's cause we want to know what's going on! Normal really, but in the end it's information we don't really need.

Actions speak louder than words - and his actions are telling you that he is not sober, regardless of what he's drinking or using.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Active alcoholics get their calories and energy from alcohol, skipping meals.

Nasty attitude could be from withdrawals. Every fiber of the body is screaming for more alcohol. All that internal screaming tends to eventually come out toward others.

I don't recall how long your AH has been drinking, but each individual reaches their tolerance at different times. His organs could be pickled from alcohol abuse. Even if he is not drinking, his body is full of toxins.