Depression

Old 11-27-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

I've been struggling with darker moods lately, and it's rather surprising to me. I thought that once I was "out", away from my XH, I would start to feel better....as in liberated, free, exhuberant, joyful! I did have that initial period of exhultation, but straight away, the discussions and arguments about visitation and custody began, so I don't feel like I got much of a break.

I really do want to feel better, more liberated, more like myself, and perhaps I'm being impatient here, but I honestly don't feel good these days. I'm constantly tired and emotionally, I'm burned out! There's no time to rest (I can't afford to take days off), and my sleep is fitful, either because of the baby or because my STUPID brain won't stop thinking stuff over and over. I have seen some friends but I generally feel as though I don't want to discuss my life too much because it would burden them. Also, I don't feel very sociable these days, and I barely have time to myself, between work, taking care of my daughter, dealing with XH, and all this custody crap.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance from those who've escaped and felt this sort of anti-climax after leaving.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

You sound so tired out and frazzled! You have a lot going on in your life just now. new parents are usually sleep deprived and having a custyody battle going on is just going to add to that. Be kind to yourself. This will pass. Life will get better!

Is there anyone who can look after your daughter overnight so you can just have some 'me' time? A long soak in a bath and a good night's rest could work wonders!

Remember to take care of yourself. :ghug3
Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

I struggled with depression this past year. Have been seeing a therapist (actually one last winter and a new one recently). We cannot talk about drugs here, but anti-depresants helped me big time. Don't know how that works with breastfeeding if that's what you do with baby, but meds have helped me. Slow my mind and make the bottom less low.

Hugs

PS
Hot baths and walks help too!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You still have to mourn the loss of the dream. You've been in action mode, and now a bit of the action is done for a little while and that's where the sadness has time to come in. So much love and hugs to you. You've been so strong. It's OK to break down and feel the pain sometimes.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's been what... 6 weeks, a couple of months?

You need to "cut yourself some slack". You've been through a lot! You need time.

You are still going through the storm, and it's tough. Divorce, custody issues, child support issues, legal wrangling, not to mention the crumbling of a relationship that was a primary focus of your life.

You've got all the responsibility now too (not that you didn't before - we all know how that is) but now it's official. It's a tough wagon to pull by yourself! No wonder you are tired. You have good reasons to be tired.

There were days that I thought I wouldn't get through it. Days I'd start the day with saying "Oh God, please help me to get through this day" before I even set one foot on the floor! Days of feeling overwhelmed like you are feeling. It's stressful. Divorce is stressful and not a quick process. (I don't know how many times I said "it should be harder to get married, and quick and easy to get divorced!")

Take time to enjoy the little things in life. Spend quality moments with your child when you can. Take time to say thanks to your HP. Pray. (it helps!) Get a good nights sleep. If you can't sleep, consult with your doctor for some help. I ask for something to help me sleep - as my mind was racing, worrying about things at night. The days are much easier to get through if you can sleep at night.

Now... this is important to remember: THIS TOO WILL PASS. You WILL survive. Your life will take a new path, a wonderful, peaceful direction. It will come!

I survived. You can too!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Although my situation is different, I have been feeling depressed myself. Thank you isurvived...your post really put things into perspective for me as well. Its true, this too shall pass...and I agree when you say praying and good sleep help...it makes a HUGE difference.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you noday!!