OT-Christmas cookie recipes

Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-Christmas cookie recipes

When I packed the house to get it ready to sell I really did not think it would take this long. I packed ALL my cookbooks and folders with all my family and saved recipes for the last 20 years so have none of the old favorite cookies recipes to make the kids this year.
Can you pm me any you have if ou have some time. I used to make those toffee bars with the chocolate on top, somethings we call trilbies (they were thin oatmeal cookies with a date stuffing), shortbread, pecan fingers (they are also called Mexican wedding cakes and Russian tea cakes), gingerbread men and those rolled cookies you frost--or any other of your favorites you had for your kids.

It is going to be a sparse holiday this year for gifts but I want to make it rich with tradition and love-- and maybe even start some new traditions to maybe forget some of the things that have happened during previous holidays. So, any fun holiday traditions that your kids loved would be appreciated too!

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

This is where the computer is SO HANDY!!!!

You can 'google' each recipe and lots will come up, then you can check several out to find the one that looks and sounds like the one you make.

Google has been a great help to me for looking up both old and new recipes.

Hope that helps.

Of course, if others want to also, we could use your thread to post some of our 'favorites' on here and do sort of a 'recipe share.' lol

It may be a 'sparse' Christmas, but your children will know that MOM loves them and will feel safe and secure, as you continue on your journey to protect them.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I also use allrecipes dot com. It's great for searching old family favorites and finding some new fun recipes. Also, I think it would be fine to post some good ones here for all to share!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi wife2kids-

i'll join in.

at my house, when i was growing up, we opened all gifts received from outside the family on christmas eve. . both of my parents were from other countries, so there were many gifts from their families abroad to open.

so, it was like two days of christmas.

naive
Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My friend who is a marvelous baker in NYC sent me this link last year-- I have made the lemon squares and the chocolate spice cookies and they are t-rif!!! Super yummy. These were recipes that Ruth Reichl - of the now defunct "Gourmet" magazine talked about on a radio show...see if anything catches your eye!

WNYC - Arts and Ideas - Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap

Also every year - and I think I've seen it on the stands already-- Good Housekeeping puts out a holiday cookie/baking issue. I have one from like 1999 that I still pull off the shelf at Christmas and it has great cookie recipes...

I had many a lean Christmas after my divorce -- baking (and EATING!) cookies and doing other "hand-made" projects made the holidays special for me and the boys.

Good luck-
b
Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thread! I love it already!
I've been thinking recently about something we can start this year as mine and the boys 'Christmas Thing'
We always go to my mums on Christmas morning, and my tradition for as long as I can remember is to make the prawn cocktail starter for Christmas dinner (very seventies I know, but it's tradition) it just wouldn't be Christmas if I didn't do that, but my boys have been sharing the job the last couple of years.

I think for us it definately needs to be something new to do with food, Christmas is very food based for us, all helping to make it and sharing the meal.
Joe's never had that, he just turned up with his mum and dad and ate (well, ate if it wasn't green lol) so I want to do something that brings the four of us together, I was thinking we'd make sweets but now I'm going to wait and see what ideas appear on this thread, and probably look for more ideas to post too.

Thanks for the thread!