Notices

Hi

Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I've been on pain meds off and on for about 8 yrs. I've been on some as strong as percocet and over time have worked down to darvocet. I want off the narcotic meds now and have been in the process of working down from eight tablets a day. I've been on a taper for nine days and am currently taking 3/4 of a tablet three times a day. I am planning to continue my tapper for about another week, gradually lowering my dose every few days. Even though I'm down to just a few each day, I can still feel the body aches before I take my first morning dose. Is it likely that regardless of how low a dosage I take, that I will inevitably still experience some withdrawl symtoms when I have come off them completely?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, dustyrose. thanks for posting!

there's an substance abuse forum here (it's under the drug addiction section) - i'm sure you'll also find a lot of support there.

take good care, and be safe. are you talking at all to a medical doc? detox can be pretty dangerous, and you deserve the help. interested in any face to face support groups, like na?

keep reaching out!

hugs, k
Old 11-18-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please talk to your dr with your concerns.

I'm glad you found us, and you'll find lots of support here.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not abusing the medication. I have been taking it as prescribed for a long time. My doctor is aware that I want off this med but has in turn prescribed Ultram and I don't want to be on Ultram either because I hear it's addictive. Since she doesn't seem to hear me, I thought I'd come here for some advice. I go to a community health center so I am stuck with the same doctor. I cannot switch physicians and I cannot afford to seek a doctor outside of the clinic.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's great that you are advocating for your health!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dusty Rose

Welcome

I empathise with your Dr situation but, although we share our experience, we cannot give out medical advice here.

It's always best to get professional advice.

If your current Dr is not satisfactory I urge you to think about finding one that is - regardless of logistics.

Our health is important

Our substance abuse forum is here
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D