Just stopping by for an update

Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just stopping by for an update

It's been forever since I've been here. I'm sitting in the waiting room, husband in surgery for shoulder repair. Lets see....I divorced him in July, and we began talking in August. He started going to AA April 17th, and now has 7 months sobriety....not that long in the grand scheme of things, but long enough to see his brain returning to human form. We have been to AA together, counseling, and I still attend Alanon. We remarried last month, and it has been like meeting a whole new person.

Remarriage....tough decision. There were some practicalities to it, 4 kids, financial stuff, but most of all we felt it was right. The counselor we go to is very discerning. I also see her alone, and she has over 20 years experience and said if she had ANY reservations she would voice them to both of us. She believes he has had a life changing experience. She said she has seen it only a few times in all of her years of practice. Not that people can't change because it happens in AA all of the time, but that when a marriage is broken to the point of divorce it can be put back together. He found his way back to church after 30 years. He is a softer, kinder, HUMBLER version of the old him. He has owned all of his past behaviors, not using alcohol as an excuse, and to this point has not shown any signs of going back there.

I just wanted to share. I know that our story won't be the case for most people here, and I know lots of you will be skeptical. But there is hope. As long as he's in recovery, working the steps, staying sober, we will be together. If that changes then no 3rd chances and he knows that. But for today life is good, and that's how I'm taking it, one day at a time.

It's good to be here and see that there are still some familiar "faces" and lots of new folks too.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thank you for the update on you and your family!

I'm hoping that your recovery journey's continue to bring you both serenity.
As a recovering alcoholic, I congratulate your husband on his sobriety!

Thank you for sharing the positive side of recovery for couples. We have new members and people that continue to visit this site everyday. Some of the success stories, like you, begin a new phase of their life and move away from the recovery forum. I'm thankful you took the time to share your story with us.

My 30 second update: my exRAH is sober still as far as I know. We have been no contact for a few weeks. He moved to another city for a job. (We've been living in different cities since the divorce) He stopped attending AA and stopped calling his sponsor. It was nice talking with my ex when he was working on his recovery, but now it is more of the same old - same old.

Stop by and say hello when you have time!
Peace and (((hugs)))
Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am always pleased when I read of someone who was able to wake up and get into recovery! It can be done!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you blessed4x!
That's good news about your RAFexEMH (Recovered Alcoholic Formerly ex Encore Marriage Husband!) ;-)

Hope your recovery continues to blossom as well!
peace-
b
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

This is awesome news blessed, thank you so much for sharing it.

There IS hope for us all, one way or another.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing a positive story!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Congrats!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

(((((((((blessed)))))))))))))))
It is great hearing from you. Wow, I would have never imagined what you say... life is so full of surprises. Keep moving forward!! And thank you very much for helping me out this year. You are an inspiration!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My brother and his wife divorced because of his alcoholism. They remarried (each other) and have been married the second time around for 14 years.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amazing and encouraging to hear of such change after all you have been through. Wishing your family a happy, healthy and fulfilling future together.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wow! finally, a happy ending!

watch out for the pain meds post-op...if you explore the substance abuse forum, there are some recovery alcoholics that relapsed in that same situation.

thanks for thinking of us down here in the trenches and giving us this update. i personally would be interested to hear again how things are going down the road.

naive
Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ago

very happy

very proud
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is great that he is sober!!! Good for him and you for making it work and good luck to both of you. Wonderful news.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome back.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Hi Blessed, it is lovely to hear that you are happy and things are going well for you; may it long remain that way for you both!

Oh and congratulations!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx