Do I dare say you all were right (again)

Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I dare say you all were right (again)

My AH has been sober 8 days. I think Ago pegged it that loosing his job might be an alcoholic bottom.

Anyways, almost 2 weeks ago he was fired for drinking. This Friday he had to turn himself in to jail for his 2nd DUI (only served 7 hours). And I filed for divorce.

I didn't want to believe it at the time, but maybe this was a good thing.

Best of all....my anger has virtually disappeared. I see him now in a different light, but in a loving way. I don't know if that makes sense, but that tug of war with alcohol that we were having is gone.

I am still trying to focus on myself. I am getting caught up in how wonderful it is to have him sober. But I have to remind myself not to act according to his actions, to act because I need to take care of myself.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

glad to hear that you have filed for divorce and that you're feeling better, whyamistaying.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats to you! Be strong, it will be worth it!

Amazing how many times the wonderful wisdom on this forum has proved to be true. I am not sure what I would do without the wisdom found here. I would probably still be in the same very desperate place that I was for so many years.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thank you for sharing an update. I'm glad that you are taking steps to take care of yourself and your children.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yay for you for filing for divorce!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep that focus on you and your recovery. :ghug2
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whyamistaying View Post
I am still trying to focus on myself. I am getting caught up in how wonderful it is to have him sober. But I have to remind myself not to act according to his actions, to act because I need to take care of myself.
Please remember to focus on yourself. It is WAY too soon to know if this is really his bottom. I wish I had a dollar for every story I've read on this board about an alcoholic suddenly getting sober when threatened with divorce. Only to relapse a few days/weeks later.

Give him plenty of time and space to do what he will. And keep the focus on you. One day at a time still applies. You can enjoy the changes in him without dropping your recovery.

L
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a heavy set of lead shoes myself and it takes a complete act of my higher power to get me moving on most decisions. I can truly appreciate the amount of energy it takes to make the tough decisions to put yourself first and file that divorce.

You keep that protective bubble of detachment and healthy boundaries around yourself and your children. Let him rise or fall on his own accord. From your bubble you can watch as he does either and involve yourself only as it is healthy for you.

Best wishes!

Alice
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wow! Thanks for this:

But I have to remind myself not to act according to his actions, to act because I need to take care of myself.

Keep moving forward, we will be here with you all the way. I am so glad for you, because you are placing yourself FIRST!!