Notices

Tell us a little something about you ...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Tell us a little something about you ...

looks like we have some new folks around -

every once in awhile, i like to start this thread, people seem to enjoy it.

tell us something about YOU we might not know, if we didn't ask.

i'll start -

i'm k, a mom of an alcoholic. i don't know much about technology and remotes and gameboys, but i'm pretty knowledgable around a kitchen and garden. i like a lot of different types of music and live theater. i'm trying to like the opera, but so far i think it's too long with too much singing..kind of like i feel about american idol on tv..

who's next?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mergirl

My name is Lisa, I am a recovering/recovered smoker, druggy, gamer, alcoholic & codependent I am also the offspring of drunks, and the parent a child too much like me for her own good some days I think.

I am a tom boy!! Most of my friends are dudes. I like shopping in the mens department. I am happiest working physical labor jobs, and have been a pipe fitter at a refinery, worked many a warehouse jobs, landscaping and utilities maintenance worker. I love power tools, and the smell of saw dust sends me
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good topic, great way 2 get to know each other.
Gypsy.., way 2 funny, about the sawdust.
Recovering alcoholic here, my DOC, beer (and lots of it) and was a binge drunk.
I'm married to a good guy that supports me in recovery and maybe drinks once a year, if that.
I'm a mother to a wonderful, 25 year old, very handsome son, who has his own Contractor's business.
I'm also a RN and occasionly volunteer, because I want 2 give back.
Like you parentrecovers, I know my way around a kitchen and a garden. I also like everything clean and take a lot of time and pride in a well kept home. Appearances is important 2 me.
I love animals, especially dogs, small lap dogs.
I believe in God and always try 2 do the right thing, but believe me I have faults too.
I'm into maintaining good health and am a control freak. Working on that, as well as having more patience, because I want it all now and I mean now.
Looking forward 2 hearing other members share.

Last edited by tallcactus; 11-15-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: ^%$
Old 11-15-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a recovering heroin and speed addict.

I love reading. I am currently a junior at Texas A&M University.

I love God. And I hope He still loves me.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My name is Andrew, and I'm a recovering alcoholic from MS. I started binge drinking at 19 because it was the 'normal' thing to do at my age and am now 24, coming up on 1 month sober. I teach a high school vocational course called Information Technology and work at a computer repair shop in the afternoons. I'm the son of an alcoholic father and a wonderful mother who tried to change him for years before being forced to file for divorce when I was 13.

My wife and I started running on a regular basis this summer, with our first 5K in August. Running is my primary defense/motivation against drinking and I'd love to run a marathon one day.

Hello and good to meet y'all!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This looks fun! I'm Laura and I am a HOPEFULLY recovering (not yet recovered) alkie. I think I inherited alcoholic genes from both sides of my family and don't consider a character flaw, just something I was dealt.

I work as an actuary (i.e. math geek). Most of the time when I tell people what I do, they don't know what an actuary is. Either that, or they ask how long they are going to live. Putting "life tables" together is something that actuaries do, but only a small part of what we do. I work on pension plans right now, multiemployer (union) plans.

I am two years divorced with 3 wonderful kids and a little white doggy who follows me around the house all day and sleeps at the foot of my bed everynight. I am a dog person. My house is very full of life.

My hobbies are (in no particular order): running, cycling, tennis, vinyasa flow yoga, arts and crafts, alternative music, indie movies, travel, and watching HGTV and reality dating shows
Old 11-15-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is so what I needed today thanks for this.

My name is Lea and I am an alcoholic I had 5 years of sobriety that ended about 3 years ago and I have been struggling ever since (I'm back to day 2 after 5 months) I work in entertainment so my job is to be around clubs and bars and people who want to get crazy. Looking back on the 5 years I did this sober I'm not sure how I handled it... But I did and I will again. I love music all types but like K, Opera isn't something I deal with easily. I'm married to an amazing guy that should have left me as soon as I started drinking again but for reasons I don't understand, but am very thankful for, he is still here. We are taking our honeymoon next week (Bali for 2 weeks) but were married almost 2 years ago. I love Yoga and being physical but since I started drinking again I haven't done that as much. I also have MS. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and work holistically with it.

Thanks all for being so warm and open!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My name is Dee.
I am not female

I'm Australian and, apart from working here, I work as a freelance proofreader and play lotsa music in my spare time.

No kids, no pets but a wonderful partner...

D
Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is really nice! My name is Linda..married 15 yrs. with 2 elementary aged boys. I'm a teacher, but I quit to be a stay at home mom 10 years ago..renewed my certification and started sub teaching this fall. I sing, and just started practicing some tunes with a friend and his acoustic. Pretty exciting for me.
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm Anna, and I've been sober about 9 years now, and I've been here at SR for 6 or so years.

I have two super fantastic grown children and two gorgeous grandchildren, both of whom arrived this year. I have 3 Siamese cats that I adore.

I work in a bookstore and I LOVE books and always have. Books have been my salvation and have saved my soul. I also love listening to music, especially classic rock. I have embraced the benefits of walking and couldn't imagine a day without getting outside, even in the cold Canadian winters.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Wow...I try to think of what to write here, and I get nothing. My life is in huge transition, being dismantled from without by circumstance and from within by recovery..not sure who I am, what I am and no clue where I am headed...

I turn 44 in a couple days. I am a woman. I am married, and have two grown sons and a 17 yr old daughter with a 6 month old grandbaby.
I am clean 21 days and sober about 2.

I have been in recovery since April 09, looks like it finally "took".

Otherwise, life is a clean slate. Due to a serious of coincidences, I am out of work, between careers, in a mid life state of mind, and off my feet due to major surgery. I have no idea what I will be doing three weeks from now. NO idea.

I am trusting that Sobriety will help me see the opportunities that become available to me, and give me the resources to take advantage of them.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post

Otherwise, life is a clean slate.
a think a clean slate is good. better than a plate full of active addiction chaos..

thanks to all the contributors, loving all the replies ... NEXT!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, I am bananagrrl, I am an alcoholic.

I am female, 38, married to a wonderful husband. We have been married 7 years and live with our chocolate lab named Kirby and a big fat tabby named Jasper.

I enjoy cooking, arts and crafts, birding, hiking, camping and reading.

I just got my 90 day chip this month, so I am very new to this. I have a sponsor and I am currently on step two . We are supposed to complete it this weekend so on step three hopefully.....
Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

My name is Kim and I am almost 42. Have a gorgeous 17 year old son who is the light of my life and the cause of a few wrinkles.... (Worth it, though)..

After years of going back and forth, am I an alcoholic, nooo...I can control it, aargh...I think I'm a drunk, nah--I'm not, yes I am, no I'm not....AAAAARGH!!

I've decided I am powerless over it, at this point in my life and I need some support. I know for today, I will not drink.

I am in real estate, but thinking of going back to school to see what I want to be when I grow up.

Nice to meet everyone!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I always love this thread.

I am Trish, crack addict. Chronic relapser. I am 34 and still live at home. I feel like a teenager most of the time. But have been coming into my own for the past year.
I just threw a few months down the toilet the other day. But am finally ready to do whatever it takes to get and stay clean.

I am a control freak. And that has to change in order for me to make it.

Other than that, I grew up in West Palm Beach, Florida and am totally mesmerized by the ocean. I now live in upstate NY. And I am not fond of the north, but my family is here and this is where I need to be. I love riding beach cruisers, even if it isnt on the beach. I just like the laid back feel on one of those things. Like the cadillac of bicycles.
I have the best family in the world. And am hoping that this time is the last for me.

I want to go back to school but will be waiting until I get some good stable clean time.
I am a very hard worker and like gypsy, I am happy doing physical labor. Not like she does. But I am not a desk person. I have been getting into reading alot lately. Especially since I joined a book swapping site. I love my lil cousins. They make life seem so worth it. Show me that the simple things can make all the difference.

I am very fortunate to have what I have and be here to try again.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi everyone, my name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic.

I am 44 years old and getting better every year(by the time I hit 50, I will be stunning!). I have two Sons, one I haven't seen in 17 years due to my drinking and one who I had after I got sober, he just turned 14 in September. He is the love of my life, he makes me want to be a better person. I live with him and my two cats, Micky Blue Eyes (aka gangster kitty) and Felix, who runs things.

My college degree and 18 years work experience is in cooking, but I gave it up 9 years ago because the hours were taking me away from my Son to much. I work in an Auto Repair Facility as Service and Parts manager, I even went and got my ASE certification last year.

I love to spend time with my Son (even though he is getting to the age that he would rather be with his friends) we bowl on a league together and we usually have a good time when we hang out (his sense of humor is as twisted as his Mothers).

I have a little over 15 1/2 years sober (which still shocks me) and I am so happy to be able to enjoy life and it presents itself it, good, bad and inbetween.

Thanks for the thread K, it is nice to get a small look into the lives of the people we share so much with!

Cathy
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

what a smashing thread! im Charmian and im an alcoholic,,i have just over 9 months sober,which is an absolute miracle! i have been with my partner brian for 6 years and he is in recovery to,he followed me into AA at the begining of the year.i have had several cats,but they have all wandered off and i wonder today if that was due to the bad atmosphere in the house when i was drinking! but,out of the blue a few weeks ago a ginger and white tom turned up and nobody has claimed him,he looks into my eyes with what i can only describe as deep affection and this is reciprocated,i call him sunshine.i took up gardening after getting sober and my garden was a riot of colour all summer! love reading and collect books and like some trashy tv reality shows.good cook and baker.went on the trip of a lifetime in the summer to the states and met and stayed with some good folk from sr.brian and i are currently planning our next month long trip to the states next summer and this will include the AA world convention in san antonio.made my day reading everyones shares! thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Scott here, alcoholic, 45 years old, two kids ages 12 & 14, 20 year old step-daughter, 1 1/2 year old step-granddaughter and another one on the way, dog, turtles, and a tank full-o' fish.

I like too many things to list here, but a few of my favorites are amateur astronomy, paintballing, motorcycling, hiking, camping, cooking, gardening, and reading, and most of all I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. Oh, and I really love the program of AA and being of maximum service to others in recovery.

4 1/2 years ago I gave it all away. Marriage, home, friends, poof all gone. This year I moved into a new home, got remarried to an incredible woman, and just got back from a honeymoon in Greece. What an amazing experience. I wanted my old life back, but the new life that God gave me is much better than anything I could've planned. This recovery stuff works, please don't walk away from recovery before the miracle happens.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hola, i'm david...turned 50 in october.

alcoholic....straight vodka chased with water.

had 100 days clean last spring, 57 days this feb. and mar. and today is day 70 for me. first 2 times i thought i could drink responsibly again. nope. not gonna try this time.

i love sports. i love reading and language. i like to write. i help out coaching youth sports even tho' my sons are grown. i have a 23 year old son that is graduating college in december and a 17 year old son. neither of them drinks. never have and that's not easy at their age. the oldest told me he doesn't drink because he's seen what it did to me and my brother.

one dog and two cats that provide amusement. a good wife that has put up with my drinking for too long. very thankful for this site.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
alcoholic....straight vodka chased with water.
I started doing that horrible deed my freshman year of college. Wow, I can only feel the burn of Vladdy or Bankers Club going down my throat followed by water, makes me ill thinking of it.

Anyways, I am 23 years old and will be graduating from college in the Spring. I was on the 5 year plan, thanks to alcohol, transferring, and change of majors. My degree will be in Information Sciences & Technology where I hope to be an IT Consultant and travel for a few years while I am young and eventually own my own consulting company.

Startted drinking around 14 seeing my brother and his older friends (3 years older) always drinking made me want to try it. Got pretty bad throughout high school and kept getting worse throughout college and now here I am.

Enough of the drinking...I enjoy working out, reading, sports, traveling, good food, video games, and some tv shows.