Notices

My Birthday Weekend

Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Birthday Weekend

Well, my birthday was Friday the 6th and it proved to be a challenge just like I expected. From the first year I was able to drink, my birthday celebration has always involved getting wasted at some point. I just thought that my experience and struggle might do some good for another reading this.

Friday night we went to Olive Garden with a few friends. I had some AMAZING lasagna, but did without the wine and mixed drinks that I would normally order. I tried some espresso instead. I have several friends who share my birthday so there's no shortage of parties to go to. That same night I went across town to one such party. When we got there, multiple people were falling down drunk, screaming on the kareoke mic. It was awful. I've started bringing energy drinks with me anywhere that I know alcohol will be present. I can hang out, hold a can in my hand to satisfy the habbit, and drive myself home with no worries.

Saturday we went to another friends birthday party. More drunk people screaming on kareoke and more energy drinks for me We hung around for several hours, went to bed around 1 and still made it to church Sunday morning. No matter how left out I feel while I'm standing around watching people drink, I'm ALWAYS happy with my choices when I lay down to go to sleep and think about the fact that I will wake up in the morning feeling great.

So I made it through a potentially hazardous weekend unscathed. Today is day 20 and I'm glad to be sober.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Belated Happy Birthday and very well done. I don't think I could have faced all that temptation. You should be proud of yourself.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

Yeah for you...and :day2

You will find (as I have..only day 37) that it gets easier hanging with the people that drink. Nobody else notices that you aren't drinking. Hang in there. Congratulations.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Happy birthday! And congrats for getting through!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday...this is day nine for me I will bring my own stuff, good idea.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Hope you have many many more just as great
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

Happy Birthday and thanks for the post. I wish I could say I can hang out with people drinking too. This weekend is my birthday weekend and I don't even know if I can handle going out to dinner...my mind still says...what is the point...no drink, no fun. With that said I have a reunion this coming weekend with my college roommates. it has been planned for months now, long before not drinking was an issue. Not sure what to do yet but that will most likely be another post of mine in the future. Just worrying about today for now !

Jo
Old 11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Xenodamus!

D
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the birthday wishes I think the fact that I have always been a weekend binge type of drunk makes my cravings and urges a little different. I'm used to not drinking during the week so what I really fight with is the sadness and feeling left out that you get standing around watching others drink on the weekend. That little voice in the back of my head tries to tell me I'd have sooooo much more fun if I were wasted and falling down like them lol.

I do have to add, though, that when I bring energy drinks with me to parties I have to stay away from Red Bull for now lol. When I open a Red Bull nowadays all I taste is the missing vodka. Enter little voice >> This would be so much better with a shot....or 2 or 3