Notices

homecoming report...i win.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

homecoming report...i win.

our local university had football homecoming yesterday. in years past, i would have arrived early and visited different tents and been torched by gametime. due to several familial commitments i wasn't able to get there until right at gametime.

that took care of the pregame drinking ritual. and ritual is a huge temptation. it's difficult every time i drive by 'my' liquor store on the way home.

a friend had extra tickets waiting for me. this guy has given me tickets many, many times. i've never seen him drink before but he has seen me half lit to full lit at many games.

about midway through the first quarter he comes back with 2 cokes and gives me one. he then pulls out a flask and offers me some bourbon....now i was a vodka drinker but bourbon in kentucky....well....we're kinda known for it. he offers me some and i just laughed and said....'no man, i haven't had anything in over 60 days'

he was very cool about it and said, 'no problem, i won't tempt you again'...it was not uncomfortable at all. i really enjoyed the game. this guy is very witty and we get along well. having spent many games with him, when i was lit, it was funny seeing him somewhat lit. he wasn't really slurring his speech but he wasn't his normal quick self and was missing out on some little things going on in the game.

how many times have i appeared that way to someone else??? you can't count 'em and thinking about it embarrasses me. i feel great today. no upset stomach or hurting head usually associated with homecoming partying.

for all of the newcomers in their first couple of days or weeks. it gets better guys. if i can beat back the temptations of h.c. drinking you can do it too. i'm not gonna lie....there was a point when he unscrewed that cap on the flask and the whiff hit me that i thought....'nobody will really know, i can have one drink'....but i know better. i know what it leads to.

i know i sound like a broken record but major kudos to this site and everyone that has helped me. i love you guys. you give me strength and i couldn't wait to tell you of a minor victory.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did great, awesome.
I love posts like this.
So many times that voice would say, "Who would know." It always had it hold on me, but so far I have managed to win as well.
Good job and I'm glad U got in enjoy what U love.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, sporting events can really be a test, even watching them on the boob tube is a test, beer commercials every five minutes, this beer, that beer, I have to be careful to just mute the commercials when they pop up.

Way to go on not drinking, I know that was hard, but you stayed focused on what's best for you, and you came out a winner!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
about midway through the first quarter he comes back with 2 cokes and gives me one. he then pulls out a flask and offers me some bourbon....now i was a vodka drinker but bourbon in kentucky....well....we're kinda known for it. he offers me some and i just laughed and said....'no man, i haven't had anything in over 60 days'

he was very cool about it and said, 'no problem, i won't tempt you again'...it was not uncomfortable at all.
Awww, hearing that makes me want to kiss your friend, sounds like a good guy.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to hear, and an inspiration. I love UT football (Texas, not Tennessee), and I ahve avoided going to games this year because of the tailgating. In fact, I went to my first game yesterday, and could not resist the temptation. today I restart my quest to give it up booze, and hope to keep enjoying Fall Saturdays and football.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a major, not minor, victory to me! That's awesome...and thanks for the encouragement to those of us with less time under our belts. It really helps to hear it gets a bit easier...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i actually went to tailgating to a game one week after i quit. it was a bit hard but i was still raw from my toxicity.

i went tailgating at another game a couple weeks later and it was much better.

i was strongest at yesterday's game. we have to unlearn some habits that we think we have to do to have fun. i'm not trying to be corny but i have enjoyed this season better than any because i remember the games. and i'm not risking a dui on the way home. that is truly a relief. i always felt like i was fine to drive and did not weave all over the place but i always doubted if i could have blown under a dui.

basketball is starting up here on tuesday and it'll be a relief driving home from them straight as they start later than the football games.

i need to hit the rack as i have to go into work at 4:00 am and its 10:14 here already. good luck to all.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I enjoyed reading your post - well done!

This part made me think of something -

he was very cool about it and said, 'no problem, i won't tempt you again'...it was not uncomfortable at all. i really enjoyed the game. this guy is very witty and we get along well.
I'm fairly certain you can call that man ... your friend.
A *true* friend will honor your desire to remain sober.
And will protect your choice in the face of those
who may try to tempt you to break your inner promise.

Good for you!

Well done!