Notices

I wanna be a quitter

Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GeoffT

I wanna be a quitter

Haven't figured out how just yet, so I'm trying more things. I'm 39 and male; been a problem drinker for a while. Wouldn't say it's progressed to full-blown alcoholism, but I know it's headed there if I don't change what I've been doing for most of the last year, drinking an average of 3-4 times a week and rarely less than a six-pack. I keep making promises to myself to quit for a specified period of time, or only drink in certain situations, or whatever, but I haven't been able to keep them - I get a craving and there I am, drinking again. I drink alone most of the time. When I go out socially, I'll drink more and faster than everyone else, and then stop on the way home for a couple extra. I feel bad about letting myself down this way, but I still do it. All of this tells me that I need to quit as soon as I can, whatever way works for me, and stay that way for a long, long time. I drank last night, so today is (yet again) day one. Thank you all for any help or advice you can give.

Geoff T
Old 11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Geoff. Welcome to SR. I had a lot of false starts myself and I also played the mental games of "I'll keep it to Fridays and Saturdays." "I won't buy this kind of alcohol." "I'll only drink at restaurants." I got too tired and discouraged with that and decided it was easier to just finally eliminate it from my life. It took a lot of hard work and still can be hard work, but its less exhausting then the games I was playing before.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Its nice you've joined SR!!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I know your pain.

Don't have too much advice for you unfortunately. I had to check into rehab 3 times before I had things sorted out.

Hang in there. I'm sending good vibes your way.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Hi Geoff. Welcome to SR. I had a lot of false starts myself and I also played the mental games of "I'll keep it to Fridays and Saturdays." "I won't buy this kind of alcohol." "I'll only drink at restaurants." I got too tired and discouraged with that and decided it was easier to just finally eliminate it from my life. It took a lot of hard work and still can be hard work, but its less exhausting then the games I was playing before.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Its nice you've joined SR!!
You are right. It is so much easier to completely abstain rather than moderate. If I drank one day per week it would last about two weeks, maybe a little longer and then I would be back to seven nights per week.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can use this website to your advantage. You probably won't want to but trying AA won't hurt. It isn't for everyone but I love it. I hope I never stop.

I wish I would have started working hard on my sobriety when I was drinking a six pack per night a few nights per week. Unfortunately, I waited until I was drinking at least a twelve pack every night.

I wish you the best.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR sacraria, now this is just a suggestion, but one that worked for me, check out some AA meetings, see if after 9 or 10 of them sober you do not start to feel like you fit in and that the folks there can really relate to what is going on for you.

I drank like you speak of about 10 years before I quit, the last 5 years of my drinking I do not think I drew a sober breath.

I can tell you that it is a fact that alcoholism is progressive, it always gets worse with every drink, it never levels off nor better................. always WORSE.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome

The easiest way to quit drinking, is to stop drinking Then get some help. Or do it simultaneously.. whatever works. Thing is you have no idea *yet* what will work for you. I hope you are open to trying anything that will.

I wasn't able to stay sober until I was willing to put as much energy and effort into my sobriety as I had into my drinking. And not until I wanted sobriety more than another drink.

Stick around, a lot of us were just like you
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GeoffT

Thanks to everyone for the support and kind words. On day 2 today, hard at work, feeling good.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Drk

Geoff, I sooo used to do what you're doing, then it caught up to me. You have to break that cycle my man.